PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there converting a MICH 2000 to a 2002?

Aggunner
04-13-10, 22:49
Is there anyone out there who can safely modify a Mich 2000 to "gun fighter" specs?

I picked up a new MSA XL MICH 2000 for a great price but would really prefer the gun fighter style so my sordins will fit underneath better.

Appreciate any info.

JSantoro
04-14-10, 08:28
Are you talking about chopping the ear covers on the helmet away? If so, the conversion you're doing is that of "helmet" to "paperweight of dubious coolness."

That stuff needs to be done during construction to ensure the ballistic protection that helmet is supposed to provide. Even if you just drill holes for a 3-hole NVG mount, you fragment the laminate epoxies and create weak points that will further fragment under normal use; ergo, the ballistic protection is compromised. It also opens up those areas to moisture infiltration, further delaminating it, same results as above.

I wear a MICH and use Howard Leights under it with no significant issue (until I want to wear a beanie in the winter), so my first suggestion to you would be to try different pad arrangements to see what allows for the best fit. If that doesn't work, spend the money to get the helmet that fits instead of wrecking the helmet you have.

Aggunner
04-14-10, 08:39
I appreciate the advice, I just have a huge ass melon and room is a premium.

rljatl
04-14-10, 11:23
Call the manufacturer. Maybe they will exchange it for you.