PDA

View Full Version : noveske or colt 6920

Hillbilly
04-13-10, 23:25
this has probably been beaten to death, if so sorry. just wanted some good constructive opinions on each. looking to buy one or the other. is one better than the other? if so why? thanks

Skang
04-13-10, 23:29
what kind model Noveske?

even basic model from Noveske will be better than colt. Since only couple hundreds more.

i cant' wait to get Low Pro :cool:

Rated21R
04-13-10, 23:31
what are your plans for the rifle? training, home defense, plinking, etc? that's usually the place to start.

Hillbilly
04-13-10, 23:43
sorry, i should have elaborated some. primarily training, defense. i am familiar with the 6920. i was looking at the 14.5 light carbine lo-pro with the mur system. thanks for any input. 6920 is a fine weapon in my book, but hey if the noveske is better and if it gives me a reason to buy then.....anyway thanks for the input

Rated21R
04-13-10, 23:54
if it were me i'd build my own (which is what i am doing...lol)

i have picked out parts that were recommended or that i researched to death and began putting together what i wanted. so many great companies out there to choose from. BCM, Daniel Defense, etc. Or you can always buy complete (which has its benefits too).

Good luck.

scottd907
04-14-10, 01:02
My little experince with my basic carbine upper Noveske has been great. Couldnt have asked for a better shooting rifle. Unless you planning on going the gas piston way, Noveske probably doesnt get any better. Good example, go to the rainier arms website and search through their complete uppers.

JSantoro
04-14-10, 08:50
sorry, i should have elaborated some. primarily training, defense. i am familiar with the 6920. i was looking at the 14.5 light carbine lo-pro with the mur system. thanks for any input. 6920 is a fine weapon in my book, but hey if the noveske is better and if it gives me a reason to buy then.....anyway thanks for the input

The Noveske configuration will likely be more accurate than the Colt, but that's about it. I don't think you're gaining anything in the way of reliability. Noveske being the smaller company, the CS is way easier to deal with, in my personal experience, and I'm a big fan of that.

I own the Noveske upper you're looking at; it's the heart of my primary gun build, and I've shot other brands before and since. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone the less pricey route and used it toward ancillary equipment/ammo/training. I'm not a good enough shot to live up to what my gun is capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Noveske, but given the oportunity to do it all over again, I'd go Colt/DD/BCM. I think that they're the smarter pruchase (note that I didn't say "better") for most folks unless precision is in your Top 5 Must Haves.

Ratfink
04-14-10, 09:29
noveske hands down heck come shoot mine

04-14-10, 10:11
Colt 6920

E53001
04-14-10, 11:04
if you have to ask between a colt and noveske then maybe you should stick with a colt.....

Iraqgunz
04-14-10, 11:26
Colt and Noveske are both great. Both are exceptionally well made and reliable. I am fairly certain that the Noveske will be more accurate. The question is do you need that accuracy? If so, buy it. I would personally consider getting an upper and then a lower receiver of my choosing and slap it together myself.

I generally build everyone of my carbines and prefer that route over purchasing a complete platform.

sinister
04-14-10, 12:02
A Colt will get you one more rifle off a factory assembly line.

John Noveske is not a dock-to-stock manufacturer, per se, in that I don't believe he builds his own lowers, uppers, internals, rails, or barrels.

Every weapon he ships is a custom or semi-custom built weapon -- the premium you are paying for is human hand fitting and finishing.

lindertw
04-14-10, 12:30
I have a Noveske basic carbine and a 6920; I don't think you can go wrong with either... good luck with your purchase.

OTO27
04-14-10, 15:18
I carry a 6920 for a patrol rifle, nough said.

payj
04-14-10, 15:30
I vote Noveske...

Skyyr
04-14-10, 16:06
Disregard

Whootsinator
04-14-10, 16:14
Ummm... lol? That couldn't be any further from the truth. Until recently, Colt CS virtually non-existent. Coupled with Noveske's lifetime warranty and the fact they'll bend over backwards to help you, Noveske wins by leagues in the CS department.

That's exactly what he is saying... You are AGREEING with him. Seriously, you just repeated what he said.

djegators
04-14-10, 16:40
I may be biased, but I LOVE Noveskes:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2uqm1c5.jpg

But I have owned Colt before as well, and certainly nothing to complain about. You also may want to consider a middy, which Noveske does quite well, but Colt does not as of yet.

spamsammich
04-14-10, 16:49
That's exactly what he is saying... You are AGREEING with him. Seriously, you just repeated what he said.

gotta love the argugreement.

Hillbilly
04-14-10, 17:01
I have been thinking of the mid length. that would be a 16 in nov reece-correct? that would put the rifle the same size as the 6920? I am really only concerned about reliability, and not accuracy. thanks to all

Skyyr
04-14-10, 17:06

Yeah, I see that now. I completely misread his post. My bad.

hitman1012
04-14-10, 20:38
I own four Noveske rifles and a few lowers and I also have 2 6920's. I am selling the 6920's to buy another Noveske. Not that the Colts' are not great rifles, I love them also. I just decided I do not like the carbine length gas with a 16" barrel, so I opted for another Noveske instead.

GunFighter98
04-14-10, 22:30
+ 1 for Noveske

Hillbilly
04-17-10, 08:48
thanks for the replies and the info.

User Name
04-17-10, 12:51
Two Noveske's two Colt 6920's. The Colts have been great. I still for prefer the Noveske. I believe you are taking about a N4 light recce. As far as that is concerned hands down Novekse.

Hillbilly
04-17-10, 14:18
yes i am talking about the n4 light reece, i go back and forth between it and the 14.5 but really think i would rather have a mid gas and really only 1.5 diff in barrel length-correct? that would put it the same size as the 6920 but with a mid gas correct?

leopard hound
04-17-10, 14:39
NOVESKE!

Molon
04-17-10, 15:44
The Novekse N4 light barrel is one of the best general usage AR-15 carbine barrels currently on the market. The barrel profile is an exercise in common sense, while using the same weight factor as a government profile barrel. It’s one of the most consistently accurate NATO chambered, chrome lined, light weight barrels that I’ve tested and of course the mid-length gas system on the 16” barrel is a bonus.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/od2lkjgq1f.jpg

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ktr45e1z2v.jpg

I performed an accuracy evaluation of my Noveske 16” N4 Light Recce upper following my usual protocol. Testing was performed from a distance of 100 yards. Firing was conducted from a concrete bench with the free-float handguard resting in a Sinclair Bench Rest. The rear stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear bag. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe. A Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax free at 100 yards was used for sighting.

Using hand-loaded, match grade ammunition I fired three, 10-shot groups in a row. The extreme spreads of those groups measured:

1.29”
1.18”
1.31”

for a 10-shot average extreme spread of 1.26”. I over-layed those three groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group. The mean radius for the composite group was 0.37”.

After firing the above three groups, I fired an additional five, 10-shot groups in a row using the same set-up for a total of eight, 10-shot groups. The average extreme spread for all eight groups was 1.24”. I over-layed all eight groups on each using RSI Shooting Lab to form an 80-shot composite group. The mean radius for that composite group was 0.39”.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/ubsv4o9vzk.jpg

User Name
04-17-10, 17:21
Hillbilly for the reasons you stated I would go with the Recce version. So on all points you are correct. I don't think you could go wrong with Light Recce. It would be my choice two times over versus the 6920. The N4 light barrels are some of the best C/L barrels in the business and as stated above quite accurate. Personally my 6920's don't get used much in comparison to my Noveske's. Get the Light Recce go train and don't look back. My 2 cents

ucrt
04-17-10, 21:28
Comparing a Noveske Low-Pro MUR with a 6920 isn't really fair...but who wants to be fair.

You'll be tickled with the Recce. I bought a Baisc Recce a few months ago and cannot imagine the gun being any better. I love it.

Been working on my Wife with the "One is none and two is one..." and I've about got her convinced that we'll slide off into the abyss unless I get another one. :D

Last week, I threw a 2-7X scope on it and shot 9 (that's all I had) Fiocchi 77g MK at a 100 yds. in less than a minute. They measured 1-3/16". That gun just keeps me smiling.

If you really want to put some icing on the cake...add the Geissele SSA trigger.

.45fmjoe
04-17-10, 22:55
Get the Colt.

OTO27
04-18-10, 01:16
you know what, it basically comes down to what you will be using it for. I have a 6920 that I use as a patrol rifle, I dont mind it being knicked, scratched, and banged everyday. because even though its an excelent rifle, it dint cost a fortune. The noveske, I would never do that to, it wil basically only see my nicelly padded case and the range from time to time, its the rifle you want to baby and hug at night..lol.

Hillbilly
04-18-10, 08:00
you know what, it basically comes down to what you will be using it for. I have a 6920 that I use as a patrol rifle, I dont mind it being knicked, scratched, and banged everyday. because even though its an excelent rifle, it dint cost a fortune. The noveske, I would never do that to, it wil basically only see my nicelly padded case and the range from time to time, its the rifle you want to baby and hug at night..lol.

I definately understand what you are saying. I am not looking for a safe queen. I want the most reliable, dependable, and most able to take the abuse of which you speak. As such either will be subjected to the same use and abuse, lots of training and use. I don't mind character marks as much as i used too. I have kind of switched my mind to the fsr model with the fsb, still 16 and mid. The mid length is one of the main selling points for me, though admittedly i have never had one in mid length(only carbine length) but from all my research and reading here, it is much preferred. thanks to all

Killjoy
04-18-10, 10:12
this has probably been beaten to death,

You're right....this topic has been beaten to death. :D

You really can't go wrong with either. Its kind of like asking "Mercedes or BMW?".

OTO27
04-18-10, 13:55
You're right....this topic has been beaten to death. :D

You really can't go wrong with either. Its kind of like asking "Mercedes or BMW?".

BMW! hands down!...lol J/K :D