PDA

View Full Version : Barrels...Which one?

payj
04-14-10, 15:48
I am doing a build and am pretty sure I want a Noveske ss barrel. That said, I would like to hear other people opinions.

My goal with a barrel is as follows:

- I want it to last a long time. Thats why I like the idea of a noveske, they are double chrome lined.

-Accuracy. It doesnt need to be one bullet hole for 5 shots at 100 yards, but accurate none the less.

-Quality

-Etc. There are probably things I am missing that I should consider?

I am under the impression Noveske fits this bill quite well? If I am wrong tell me!!:)

All that put aside, what other company(s) would also meet these requirements?

Thank you

spamsammich
04-14-10, 15:51
I don't know where you got the impression that current Noveske SS barrels are double chromed, but they aren't. That is the N4 barrel. They no longer offer chromed SS barrels.

BCM, Centurion, and DD make nice hammer forged, chrome lined barrels that should be durable and accurate enough for your fire schedule.

payj
04-14-10, 16:00
Spam: REALLY????? Ahhhhhh you saved my bacon. I was under the wrong impression then! I need to do more research on that!:eek: THANK YOU.

Do they sell the N4 as a single barrel?

I will look at the others you mentioned. I have heard that that centurion does make a damn fine barrel (the others too)

spamsammich
04-14-10, 16:13
I'm pretty sure that I've mentioned to you before that the N4 barrels are not offered as a stand alone product, they have to be made into an upper receiver assembly by a Noveske distributor like G&R, MSTN, GTS, etc. I don't think Noveske wants every Tom, Dick, and Lawrence building with the N4 barrels and then expecting Noveske to warranty/support the frankenbuilds. I can imagine this would be a CS nightmare for a small company like NRW. I'm pretty sure they're busy enough supporting their in house built product lines and the SS barrels.

spamsammich
04-14-10, 16:15
i've owned a Noveske Afghan SS based upper and it was a great shooter, just heavier than what I was looking for and I didn't really need or take advantage of the amazing accuracy that the barrel was capable of.

payj
04-14-10, 16:35
I'm liking the centurion arms cold hammered forged barrel. In doing a quick search and found that pac-nor makes both noveske and centurion barrels? In any case, the centurion barrels look nice and are double chromed etc. I think I might just get one of those. They are also cheaper. Do you know off hand where to buy one besides centurion? I googled and got Ranier Arms who are currently out of stock. They are also 30 min from my house, which is nice, but if I can buy elsewhere I will to save on the 10% tax.

ps: you did mention the SS barrel and N4 barrel thing. I was just under the impression both were chrome lined. Idk I was just confused. Please excuse my ignorance. I appreciate your help!

spamsammich
04-14-10, 16:46
Man, I really don't know where you are getting this info, but as far as I know it is all wrong. Pac Nor makes the SS barrel blanks, Noveske and his crew do the rest of the machining but this is only the SS line. It has been said before that FN makes the N4 barrels, the Centurion barrels, and possibly the BCM (I've only seen this mentioned once here).

I bought my Centurion from Rainier too and when I was there they had plenty of stock, but warned that once they were out, they'd be out for a while. You could pick one up directly from Centurion Arms on their website, but it would be best to get them to build a complete upper for you to make it worth the 30 dollar shipping fee. I haven't seen anybody that has bought from Centurion recently and was unhappy with what they received. Their base hammer forged lightweight 16" barreled upper comes with a DD 10.0 Lite rail, low pro gas block, and a Smith Vortex flash hider for 875+ shipping. IMHO that's pretty competitive with offerings from BCM/G&R.

I want one with a URX II some time. So many choices, so little money.

payj
04-14-10, 22:20
Ya did a quick search, didn't research the hell out of it. Anyways, thank you for your input you have been a help!

Also, didn't realize you lived in Edmonds! I live in Bellevue! We live pretty close to eachother (relatively speaking). Was a nice day today for a change! Hopefully the weather keeps up. I am tired of the rain:mad:

Rated21R
04-14-10, 22:44
Daniel Defense CHF or BCM CHF (cold hammer forged), both will do you fine.

spamsammich
04-14-10, 23:58
I'm a gold member at WCA shooting range, if you want to see a Centurion, BCM, or LMT gun and test fire a few rounds some time let me know. oh, and I grew up in SE AK so this little bit of grey sky don't bother me at all, just means Stevens will stay open longer ;)

hikeeba
04-15-10, 10:39
I am doing a build and am pretty sure I want a Noveske ss barrel. That said, I would like to hear other people opinions.

My goal with a barrel is as follows:

- I want it to last a long time. Thats why I like the idea of a noveske, they are double chrome lined.

-Define 'a long time.' Do you shoot lots and lots? Do you not shoot a ton, but want to pass the rifle down to your grandchildren?

-Accuracy. It doesnt need to be one bullet hole for 5 shots at 100 yards, but accurate none the less.

-Do you have more specific idea of accuracy you'd like this barrel to potentially achieve?
-What distances wiil you be shooting?

-Quality

-Good news, there are many choices.

-Etc. There are probably things I am missing that I should consider?

-Barrel Length
-Gas system
-Barrel profile
-Chamber type
-Barrel material
-Frequency of and type of shooting you do
-Frequency of and type of shooting you would like to do
-Price

I am under the impression Noveske fits this bill quite well? If I am wrong tell me!!:)

All that put aside, what other company(s) would also meet these requirements?

Thank you

Food-for-thought ideas implanted into your OP in RED.

Brands that come to mind:

Stainless steel - White Oak Armament, Bravo Company, Ranier Arms, Noveske, Sabre Defense. There are others, too.

CMV - Bravo Company (both their standard and BFH barrels), Daniel Defense, Spike's Tactical. There are others, too.

Other - Superior Barrels

Merle
04-15-10, 19:07
I'm going to try a Rainier Arms Ultra Match SS barrel on my next build. They are made by Shilen which is a big name in accurate barrels.

payj
04-16-10, 01:08
I'm a gold member at WCA shooting range, if you want to see a Centurion, BCM, or LMT gun and test fire a few rounds some time let me know. oh, and I grew up in SE AK so this little bit of grey sky don't bother me at all, just means Stevens will stay open longer ;)

Thank you for the offer! I may have to take you up on that sometime. Sounds like you have many quality builds!:)