PDA

View Full Version : HK magazine lineage.

Akoni
05-02-07, 09:40
I can't find a source for this so I thought I'd ask here. What are the details of the various releases of HK's AR mags and how do you visually identify them? Are they all LE marked?

tiger seven
05-02-07, 11:28
There are at least two generations of HK steel "High Reliability" magazines with the Maritime coating. The early ones had white contrast lettering on the body and a silver-colored follower. The second-generation mags (the ones on the market today) are all black, and have the same Maritime coating on the follower as they do on the body.

FWIW, every one that I've ever seen has been LE marked.

I'm certainly no expert, but I hope that helps.

Derek

Joe R.
05-02-07, 13:57
The other thing to look for is the the rubber bumper in the bottom rear of the mag holding the floorplate in place on the newer version. After some field use by the USMC it was found that shooting a 203 with an empty HK magazine in place sometimes deposited the guts of the magazine on the deck. I'm not sure how often your mag would be empty while shooting your 203 in actual field use, but they were advised of the issue and corrected the problem.

Akoni
05-02-07, 14:50
It seems to me as if there are at least 2 generations of the HK mag both having "restricted" markings.

Gen I - non-maritime finish, silver follower, no floorplate retainer

Gen II - Maritime finish, black follower, floorplate retainer.

If there are any additions/corrections, do tell.

Luckystiff
05-08-07, 01:22
I hope Pat Rodgers chimes in on this one. In one of his classes I took earlier this year he went over the history of the mags. I remember him stating that the old version was a little out of spec. and this did cause some issues.

I have seen pics of H&K M16 mags without the LE markings. Be aware that all H&K M16 mags are date coded using the H&K letter system.

Robb Jensen
05-08-07, 04:05
I have 7 of the Gen II mags. But in 3 of these 7 the mag springs have gone soft. Meaning the bolt isn't locking back when empty using these three mags. Any other mags and the bolt will lock back. I like HK mags for competition because I have a reloadable 30 rounds meaning I can top off the rifle (with the bolt forward) with 30 rounds in the HK mag and it'll seat pretty easily.

subzero
05-08-07, 05:29
I have 7 of the Gen II mags. But in 3 of these 7 the mag springs have gone soft. Meaning the bolt isn't locking back when empty using these three mags. Any other mags and the bolt will lock back.

At least 2 of my 6 show that same symptom. High reliability my ass.

TheDutchman
05-08-07, 07:23
gotm4 and subzero how many rounds have you ran through each mag before failure of the spring?

Robb Jensen
05-08-07, 07:29
gotm4 and subzero how many rounds have you ran through each mag before failure of the spring?

The 3 I use the most, less than 5K rounds though each mag.

subzero
05-08-07, 14:16

Mine have very few rounds through them. Less than 500, easy. I was just starting to put them in the rotation and get them some use.

LukeMacGillie
05-08-07, 14:38
Im starting to have that issue myself, but I was thinking it was becasue I was shooting my Mk18 without the can...

Anyway I know my mags should be "Good" as they came thru the supply system, and there is no possible way they are the Crane Rejected Seconds that hit the civ market.

Mine have too different proof marks in the mag catch well, some AG, others AE. Any concensus on if one PM is better than the other?

Akoni
05-08-07, 14:42
What can you use for replacement springs on these? Are there any CS springs for them?

mmike87
05-08-07, 15:03
What can you use for replacement springs on these? Are there any CS springs for them?

That's a good question ... I have 4 of these and was wondering myself.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-27-07, 22:58
I only have two of these magazines, and in one of my carbines it consistently will not lock back on the last round.

In my other carbine the bolt does lock back on the last round.

What's up with that?