PDA

View Full Version : Glock or 1911 for first pistol?

Tom Swift
04-15-10, 03:48
No this isn't a vs. thread or a 9mm vs .45 type thread. Just trying to decide do I want a Glock or a 1911 as my FIRST pistol. I'll eventually be getting both :D just can't get both now while on a student budget. If it matters I was looking at Commander sized 1911's, I've fired more Glock's than 1911's mind you the 1911 I fired was like a match made in heaven :p

Ak44
04-15-10, 03:54
No this isn't a vs. thread or a 9mm vs .45 type thread. Just trying to decide do I want a Glock or a 1911 as my FIRST pistol. I'll eventually be getting both :D just can't get both now while on a student budget. If it matters I was looking at Commander sized 1911's, I've fired more Glock's than 1911's mind you the 1911 I fired was like a match made in heaven :p

If you want a 1911, I would suggest reading Hilton Yam's articles
http://10-8performance.com/Articles.html

Have you tried the S&W M&P? As stated in previous threads, the maintenance, parts cost and availability, and over all cost of polymer pistols trump the 1911's. So if you want to invest heavily into the 1911 platform go for it.

Tom Swift
04-15-10, 04:01
If you want a 1911, I would suggest reading Hilton Yam's articles
http://10-8performance.com/Articles.html

Have you tried the S&W M&P?

Thanks for the link that place looks like a gold mine for 1911 info.

Yes I've tried the S&W M&P the first time I tried it it felt like a toy and I didn't like it when I got the chance to try it again I found it quite nice. My main reason for either a 1911 or Glock is because they seem to be more or less the most popular pistols in Canada having the widest variety of parts available for them. The M&P doesn't have this support in Canada yet although I see more and more guys grabbing them up.

dwhitehorne
04-15-10, 05:12
Seeing that you are in Canada, I would suggest the Glock 17. If you ever had a chance to carry a pistol then the Glock 19. I personally love 1911's and do not care for the Glock, BUT the Glock is what it is and it almost always works right out of the box. You can shoot a G17 all day long for years and never have to worry about anything but ammo. You can get a G17 and a case of ammo for the price of a Springfield loaded. I look at the 1911 as the Harley Davidson of handguns and I would not recommend a full dresser Harley as a first bike. David

TOrrock
04-15-10, 06:28
My first handgun when I was 17 was a M1911A1, but I'd highly recommend going the Glock route, get some experience under your belt, and then maybe look at a 1911.

David Thomas
04-15-10, 06:43

1911's are allergic to budgets. Get a Glock first. Buy ammo and train.

RUSKI
04-15-10, 06:45
My Glock 21 was my 6th handgun, and I wish I had gotten one much sooner. Its a tank and with my trijicon aftermarket night sights its almost as close to perfect as it gets for me. 7 out of 10 times I carry my G21 over my 1911. Plus its nice having 14 rounds per mag vs 8.

John_Wayne777
04-15-10, 07:09

To paraphrase Ken Hackathorn:

1911's are like Ferraris. If you want one, you'd better know a good mechanic and you'd better bring money.

If budget is a limitation for you, the 1911 is not your answer. Yes, you could conceivably roll the dice with one of the 400 dollar 1911's sitting on the dealer's shelf and end up with a gun that may work...or it may also be the biggest piece of crap ever to cross a dealer's counter.

...or you could buy a 500 dollar 9mm Glock that will most likely work right out of the box and spend all that time and money you would have spent trying to figure out why your 1911 doesn't work right learning to shoot the Glock well.

If you can't afford to spend more than a grand on a handgun, or if you don't know what a properly cut feed ramp on a 1911 looks like, then buying one is probably a bad idea.

javentre
04-15-10, 07:24
I would get the Glock, a case of ammo, and a handgun class.

I mention the class because it's very easy to develop bad habits which are often difficult to get rid of. A good instructor can save you the cases of ammo it'll take to fix those issues.

PrivateCitizen
04-15-10, 09:53
To sum up: Glock > Ammo > Drive it like you stole it.

SWATcop556
04-15-10, 10:05
For your first pistol I would say the Glock. 1911's are excellent weapons but for 99% of the shooters it's not a realistic weapon system.

maximus83
04-15-10, 10:21
To paraphrase Ken Hackathorn:

1911's are like Ferraris. If you want one, you'd better know a good mechanic and you'd better bring money.

That's funny! Hadn't seen that line, but as someone who loves 1911's and still owns two, I couldn't agree more. To me, there's nothing as fun as shooting a custom 1911. But that said, IMO it's not the most practical option for carry and self-defense. For all the reasons often noted in this forum.

If you want to get started and this is your first pistol, you probably want to get something in a modern platform: Glock, H&K P30, S&W M&P (I go with the M&P).

Shawn.L
04-15-10, 10:23
I love 1911's. I carry, compete, and train with one.

having said that I must echo what everyone has already said, beacuse its just true. Get the GLOCK, and get one in 9mm. If budget is a concern, then not only will the price diff set you back but the ammo cost will as well. That money is better spent on ammo and training.

The hardware issue is really a very small amount of the subject, people tend to spend a disproportionate amount of time/money/energy on it.

d90king
04-15-10, 10:28
1911's are allergic to budgets. Get a Glock first. Buy ammo and train.

Truth^^^ I would also look at the M&P as I find it fits my hand better after shooting 1911's for years.

Tom Swift
04-15-10, 11:10
Seems like the consensus is Glock, I think I'll save up a little extra to get the Glock 19 over 17 as G19's cost more here in Canada as the barrel must be switched out for one over 105mm prior to entering the country. Stupid laws, I know. Gonna keep my eye out for a course like you guys have suggested in Washington State as I will be just North of their in Vancouver next year at school. Thanks for the input and valuable insight guys.

TOrrock
04-15-10, 11:13
Seems like the consensus is Glock, I think I'll save up a little extra to get the Glock 19 over 17 as G19's cost more here in Canada as the barrel must be switched out for one over 105mm prior to entering the country. Stupid laws, I know. Gonna keep my eye out for a course like you guys have suggested in Washington State as I will be just North of their in Vancouver next year at school. Thanks for the input and valuable insight guys.

Honestly, since you're not going to be carrying it concealed, I'd just go with a Glock 17 and save some money.

Pathfinder Ops
04-15-10, 12:14
I love 1911's. I carry, compete, and train with one.

having said that I must echo what everyone has already said, beacuse its just true. Get the GLOCK, and get one in 9mm. If budget is a concern, then not only will the price diff set you back but the ammo cost will as well. That money is better spent on ammo and training.

The hardware issue is really a very small amount of the subject, people tend to spend a disproportionate amount of time/money/energy on it.

I am behind this statement.

BUT I will never suggest that a Glock is a better firearm. However, from a simplicity and cost effectiveness issue they are a great approach to getting into the handgun world.

Tom Swift
04-15-10, 14:27
Honestly, since you're not going to be carrying it concealed, I'd just go with a Glock 17 and save some money.

I don't believe Vermont prohibits non resident aliens from CCWing :cool: unfortunately Maine state just recently stopped issuing CCW to Canadians apparently the RCMP was giving them a hassle with background checks. It's a shame too because it was 18 most States seem to be 21 (I'm 19). IIRC several States Open Carry is G2G 18 or 21 depending on the State. I personally like the G19 size a lot more I just have to decide whether it's worth an extra $200-$300, I already got a steal of a deal on some G19 mags so I'm kinda bias :D

Kuro Ookami
04-15-10, 14:38
I would go Glock first. I need to pony up the money and get some training too, haha.

Erik 1
04-15-10, 14:54
The only thing I would add to this is, if you think you will eventually switch to the 1911, or use it significantly, you may want to look into an M&P with thumb safety as, I think, your training would overlap better.

jaxman7
04-15-10, 19:09
I highly recommend classes too but practice reloading if you bring a 1911. Last class I went to I was the only guy running one and you are going to be off target much more of the time feeding that thing versus a 9mm with over twice the ammo. This factor is partly the reason why I have recently switched over to 9mm. Also because self defense 9mm ammo has gotten so much better in the last several years. Not to mention cheaper practice ammo and faster follow up shots.

Shawn.L
04-15-10, 19:17
I highly recommend classes too but practice reloading if you bring a 1911. Last class I went to I was the only guy running one and you are going to be off target much more of the time feeding that thing versus a 9mm with over twice the ammo. This factor is partly the reason why I have recently switched over to 9mm. Also because self defense 9mm ammo has gotten so much better in the last several years. Not to mention cheaper practice ammo and faster follow up shots.

I generally carry 8 loaded mags to the line with me. Tac load after each drill and get used to putting away a full gun.

I believe we should get used to holstering a full gun regardless of cappacity.

Whats funny is the high cap 9 guys get used to not having to load, holstser guns with only one or two rounds back in the holster, and then are caught by suprise at slide lock

jaxman7
04-15-10, 19:19
If
I generally carry 8 loaded mags to the line with me. Tac load after each drill and get used to putting away a full gun.

Whats funny is the high cap 9 guys get used to not having to load, holstser guns with only one or two rounds back in the holster, and then are caught by suprise at slide lock

Very well said sir! Yep grab that rear most magazine and top it off at every chance!

d90king
04-15-10, 19:21

Wise grasshopper... <bows> I wont lie though... Loading all day does suck.:D

SCULLY
04-15-10, 19:24
He doesn't have to consider capacity, Like some States we have a 10rd mag limit in Canada.

jaxman7
04-15-10, 20:33
He doesn't have to consider capacity, Like some States we have a 10rd mag limit in Canada.

Ah, didn't think about that. That is just the most acenine law. I guess they figure you won't kill anyone with those first 10 rounds but man those 11th and 12th rounds are absolutely LETHAL!....Idiot law.

Tom Swift
04-15-10, 21:23
I'm actually hoping to take my classes in the USA probably Northern Washington State, next 4 years starting next Fall I'll be living in Vancouver. I'm buying a sport bike among other major purchases and will use it to do things like zip down across the border for classes. Does anyone know if an under 21 can temporarily import a pistol via 6NIA? Mind you it's just over a year an a half till I'm 21 anyways.

And yes 10 round mag laws are retarded, it does keep the cost of shooting down a little though :D