PDA

View Full Version : Surefire LX2 vs Insight HX200 - which one to buy?

xamoel
04-15-10, 05:00
good morning to everyone!

i've been following this forum for quite a while, but now it's time for my first own thread :)

at the moment i'm trying to figure out which flashlight to buy, i'm looking for something with a high to medium lumen output, durability and a good battery runtime.
it will be attached to my chest rig in the future.

i don't have much experience when it comes to flashlights, so i need your advice:
the surefire lx2 has 200 lumens at high with a 2h runtime. in low its 10 lumens at 10h runtime.
the insight hx200 also a max output of 200 lumens with 2h, AND a 100h runtime at lowest output!

the 100h runtime just sounds too good to be true, can anyone confirm that that is correct?
what is your general opinion on those two lights? any other recommendations?

best regards
xamoel

Vic303
04-15-10, 07:57
the hx200 low power runtime will depend mostly on what its output level is--sort of like, how low is low?

My Novatac has a low of 0.3lumens, so it will run a LONG time on that setting.

xamoel
04-16-10, 03:31
well there don't seem to be many opinions on the insight hx200, don't know why.

would you rather choose a surefire LX2 or a E2D defender? max lumen is the same, but the E2D has a longer runtime on low with a lower lumen of course.

Jerm
04-16-10, 04:40
I've been looking at the LX2 and the E2DL.

I'd prefer the 5 lumen low output of the E2DL.But the activation/controls seem to be far better on the LX2.

The E2D LED's pushbutton tailcap click switch lets you activate the flashlight and select output level: press or click for a 200-lumen high beam—ten times the light of a big two-D-cell flashlight, more than enough to overwhelm an aggressor's night-adapted vision; release or click off and press or click again for a 5-lumen ultra long-runtime low beam that's suitable for navigating around a dark room or parking lot.

From the sound of it you either have to toggle through the high setting to get to the low setting or vice versa.That could be a bad idea for a number of reasons I would think.

The LX2 sounds like a much better method all arround.

The LX2's tactically-correct two-stage pushbutton tailcap switch lets you instantly select output level: press for a momentary-on 15-lumen long-runtime low beam suitable for general night use or close work; press further for a momentary-on 200-lumen high beam—ten times the light of a big two-D-cell flashlight; twist for constant-on low beam, twist further for constant-on high beam.

rob_s
04-16-10, 05:04
the E2DL has the same switching method as the E1B, which I find aggravating. I'd pick the LX2 for the same reason as Jerm, and I'm waiting for the LX1 to come out to replace my E1B.

G34Shooter
04-16-10, 23:50
the E2DL has the same switching method as the E1B, which I find aggravating. I'd pick the LX2 for the same reason as Jerm, and I'm waiting for the LX1 to come out to replace my E1B.

Same here, sold my E2DL for my LX2 :D

rljatl
04-17-10, 00:24
FWIW, I have an LX2 and like it a lot.

Jerm
05-09-10, 18:00
Got my LX2 a few days ago...

I think she's "the one".:D

About the only way I can imagine improving on this light is by increasing battery life.Not that I'm complaning about what it offers now.

I'd like something a little less brigtht on the low end.But that would mean either trading the current low setting(basically breaking even) or complicating the UI...Which I'm definitely not looking for.

SmokeJumper
05-12-10, 00:42
A little late on the posting, Glad you got a light and it fits the bill. But I got to thinking about this and the discussion regarding the two-stage tail caps. My old E2D incandescent just burned out and I was thinking of upgrading it to an LED with the KX2C LED head for 200 lumens of light and no two-stage switch to worry about like on the E2D LED. Just a thought.

David Thomas
05-12-10, 01:25

Same here.

I love my LX2. My E1B still sees more use in everyday carry because it is easier and lighter. The tailcap switching method of the LX2 is superior.

xamoel
06-17-10, 11:38
alright, i finally got my Surefire LX2, and it truly is an awesome light!

now there is just one question left: what do you deem the best way to attach the LX2 to a MOLLE vest? with the Surefire nylon holster? or another tactical nylon manufacturer?