PDA

View Full Version : 16 inch 308---Optics Recommendations

EasyRhino72
04-15-10, 06:18
Sooooo, lots of options out there and more coming.

Top picks I see are (in no particular order) SB shortdot, nightforce 1-4, Trijicon, Aimpoint M4,

but then there is a slew of 2-10 (or so) variations like nightforce and Leupold which you could couple with a Aimpoint T1

Or do you just go 3-12?

Understanding that it comes down to application I would like to make it a "go to" gun capable of doing whatever I need. Everything from quick close in shots to 500m.

Thoughts/Recommendations?

docsherm
04-15-10, 11:18
I have a Nightforce 2.5x10 that is Great. You can't go wrong with it. It is a very nice optic.

RustedAce
04-15-10, 12:38
I am using a TA11H-308.

BAC works for me, so its good close up, and I have shot it to 600m with good results.

Very happy with it.

SHIVAN
04-15-10, 12:56
That new Leupold 1-8 looks to be a solid optic, I trust KevinB and Jfreuler's reviews. Or the S&B Short Dot...

I would pick up an Aimpoint M2 or M3 while I saved money for one of those.

ICEPICK
04-15-10, 21:37
I ordered the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10 for my RRA .308 and I love it! Now I am trying to decide on the aimpoint H-1 or a Dr. Optic for short range. Any suggestions?

shootist~
04-15-10, 22:22
Aimpoints win for up close and quick, but forget it for 500M. I temporarily have a NF 2.5-10x32 on my 16" and it is indeed awesome at distance, but it would not be my choice for a house gun. The NF 1-4 might be the best compromise.

ICEPICK
04-15-10, 22:29
I love the magnification, but I want to couple a red dot of some sort with it for shorter range engagements. I have seen the Dr Optics mounted on top of scopes and the t/h-1s on the side. I'm not sure which to run.

VooDoo6Actual
04-15-10, 22:31
2.5X10X32 NF NP R2 /FC-2 Ret or 1.1X8 Leupy

EasyRhino72
04-16-10, 08:47
Are the leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS available yet? Who has em and what are they charging?

KevinB
04-16-10, 09:20
I have one :D

I got a bunch of solid one hole groups yesterday with it on a SR-25 EM Carbine.

Right now Leupold is not releasing them beyond some evalutation models.
I beleive production models will be out in May, however they are all spoken for.

I do not see this sight becoming commercially available in the next 6 months, I beleive government orders will eat up the production runs.

EasyRhino72
04-16-10, 13:16
I have one :D

Dont suppose you want to send it this way for a little fun atop my SR25 EMC?

Cant hurt to ask right??

MILWAR
04-20-10, 16:40
I used to be a Supervisor in the Trijicon ACOG Department. Now I'm a Military and Law Enforcement Tactical Gear retailer.

The general breakdown I give to "Best Combat Optics at Specific Ranges" is:
0-200 Meters = Aimpoint and EOTech (adding the 3x magnifier extends it to 0-300 meters)
50-600 Meters = Trijicon ACOG (adding the RMR sight extends it to 0-600 meters)
200-4000 Meters = Leupold Mark 4

There are some additional factors that factor into the above calculations:
Durability - Trijicon, Aimpoint, and EOTech are going to be more durable than the Leupolds (or other variable power scopes for that matter)
Target Acquisition - The higher the magnification goes, the harder it is to engage close targets. Overzoom can become an issue.
Bullet Drop Compensation - It's harder to engage long distance targets without some type of precise bullet drop compensation reticle built into the optic.

Generally we recommend Trijicon ACOGs for the short to medium range applications. If you want 0-500 meters you're going to get that all in an ACOG.

I recently got back from a tour in Iraq and I had a Trijicon ACOG on my rifle. I had a choice of all the optics in our retail outfit and I wanted something that was going to perform well at the 50-600 meter range (I did add one of the first generation TRD sights, but now the RMR is preferred). The ACOG held zero despite a tremendous amount of abuse that I put the rifle and scope through.

Basically it boils down to a range / durability / bullet drop compensation / overzoom issue. Take a look at the pluses and minuses of each optic.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. If you'd like to email us just use the contact email in our profile. You can also see our website address in our profile.

QuietShootr
04-20-10, 19:50
How about the ACOG that's issued with the LMT .308 to the UK? What's the scoop/cost on that one?

ICEPICK
04-20-10, 21:31
Thanks for the input MILWAR, good info. Cant you run the RMR with the Leupold and get the best of all worlds?.......or is there a down side to that?

ALCOAR
04-21-10, 11:53
I am gonna pull the trigger on the nxs 3.5 (x50) for upcoming .308. I currently own the 2.5-10x32 and it has the LV ret. so its not the best suited for the job, moreover I just think the nxs 3.5 mates best with a .308 and the nxs 2.5 goes best with .223.

ALCOAR
04-21-10, 12:00
How about the ACOG that's issued with the LMT .308 to the UK? What's the scoop/cost on that one?

The brits are rolling w. the acog TA648 because they have excess inventories of them already on hand from IIrc brits machine guns (L7A2's)....thats is the only reason they are on there.

They can run close to 2k i think, not a fan personally but more info to be had on them here:
http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=819&back_row=6&categoryID=3

eta...KEVINB, what gov't contracts did the leupy pick up already, interesting?

bubabootie
04-23-10, 15:54
Based on my combat experience here in Iraq, if you're going to try and use your 308 for anything in a city environment, i'd recommend picking up either an Eotech XPS2 (i think it's what ill get) or an Aimpoint CompM3. I have some experience on an M16A2 with the aimpoints, and they are just fine.

We haven't had many engagements where you would need to hit something in excess of 200 meters.

I would really love to pick up the TA11H-308s from Trijicon, but they are so damn expensive. :mad:

QuietShootr
04-23-10, 17:45
Based on my combat experience here in Iraq, if you're going to try and use your 308 for anything in a city environment, i'd recommend picking up either an Eotech XPS2 (i think it's what ill get) or an Aimpoint CompM3. I have some experience on an M16A2 with the aimpoints, and they are just fine.

We haven't had many engagements where you would need to hit something in excess of 200 meters.

I would really love to pick up the TA11H-308s from Trijicon, but they are so damn expensive. :mad:

A lot of guys don't realize just how good you can shoot with an Aimpoint. I've done some things at distance with a 4 MOA Aimpoint that would get me called a liar if posted publicly.

Mine will probably be getting an M3 until I decide which longer-range glass I want (if any).

KevinB
04-26-10, 15:27
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/iPhone26April076.jpg

Like anything optics (and guns) are a compromise. With a 16" 7.62mm NATO carbine, especially one that is reliable and accurate, you end up with a dilema of usage. With the CCO's you give up a lot of useful range, as you can't see what you shoot. With a larger magnified sight you get more range, but lose the close in.

The 1.1-8x CQBSS gives you Aimpoint like speed, and still magnification to detect, discriminate and engage targets out to 700m

bubabootie
04-26-10, 15:50
yeah if only the CQBSS were available. i'm sure it's going to cost as much as a Trijicon ACOG anyway. If only it were more in the Aimpoint range.

KevinB
04-27-10, 08:46
Actually it is the Aimpoint+ACOGx2 range.

ALCOAR
04-27-10, 17:10
LOL...its in the HOLY :eek: category:D

EasyRhino72
12-06-14, 07:05
Thoughts on an Elcan Spectre DR 1-4?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chrisreedrules
12-06-14, 18:06
My pick would be a Leupold Mk6 1-6x and an Aimpoint T1 or Trijicon RMR on a 45 offset... But that's just me and I'm thinking if money were no object ;)

...A more practical and budget friendly option would be the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x or maybe a Leupold VxR if you aren't worried about a true 1 power optic. I don't usually go above 4x magnification on my optics unless they are greater than 16" barrel length or unless it's for a special purpose.

Chrisreedrules
12-06-14, 18:08
Thoughts on an Elcan Spectre DR 1-4?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen a couple guys with them and they seem to REALLY love them. But it's hard to tell if that's just the "fanboy" in them or if they have really put the optic through its paces and love it. They are nifty though.

Double3
12-06-14, 18:35
4 years later and you are still looking for something?

I like my Leupold CQBSS.

EasyRhino72
12-06-14, 19:21
I have tried a few viariants. CQBSS, SB short dot, 3-12 w a T1. Curious about others experiences etc.

CanineCombatives
12-07-14, 01:41
I went with the Kahles K16i with SM1 reticle.

El Cid
12-07-14, 06:41
I chose the Swarovski Z6i 1-6 with the BRT reticle. Love it!

Here's an AAR I did after using it on my 16" 7.62 rifle in a class. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?153328-AAR-Failure-2-Stop-Consulting-Dual-Role-Carbine-May-31-June-1-2014

tmanker
12-07-14, 20:22
I'm certainly not a subject matter expert, but I just went through this with my scar 17. It took me well over a month to figure out what to put on top. My short list was USO SR8C, CQBSS, elcan 1.5/6, nf 2.5-10x24 (couldn't find one), mark 6 1-6, VCOG (bought and sold) and nf 2.5-10x32. I handled and used all but the elcan and ended up buying the nf 2.5-10x32 with mil r reticle. I'm very happy with my choice based on intended use.

Sticks
12-08-14, 05:29
I'm certainly not a subject matter expert, but I just went through this with my scar 17. It took me well over a month to figure out what to put on top. My short list was USO SR8C, CQBSS, elcan 1.5/6, nf 2.5-10x24 (couldn't find one), mark 6 1-6, VCOG (bought and sold) and nf 2.5-10x32. I handled and used all but the elcan and ended up buying the nf 2.5-10x32 with mil r reticle. I'm very happy with my choice based on intended use.

Was the Vortex PST even considered? What was your criteria to make the short list?

tmanker
12-08-14, 09:12
The whole subject of the scar 17 eating optics may be exaggerated, but it was still a concern of mine. The other listed optics seemed to have a good track record on this weapon. I did not find information of the vortex on a scar with a lot of rounds down range. I have nothing against vortex, in fact I run a razor hd and a viper pst on large caliber bolt guns. The vortex warranty is great and I should have probably looked at the vortex a little closer. I will probably own the razor 1-6 in the future as well.

m4hk33
12-15-14, 14:30
looking at the realistic range of a 16 inch 308, anything in the 3-9 class will be fine for 99 percent of most peoples shooting without weighing down the rifle,

tmanker
12-15-14, 20:53
New coyote blaster with NF 2.5-10x32. Shot 20 rounds or so this past weekend. Took a few rounds to find the right spot for the mount, but she settled in. I was shooting MOA at 200 yards pretty consistently with match ammo. I didn't go beyond that because I didn't have the setting to do it safely. I would have no problem taking a 400 yard shot on a coyote from the prone position or off sticks. The recoil, or lack of, was amazing as is the super scar trigger. The gun weighs 11.0 lbs with atlas bipod, surefire scout m600, sling, rail panels and scope. It weighs exactly 13 oz more than my bcm coyote blaster with TA31 and g2 light. The next step will be the krylon treatment. I'm super excited to get some fur with this one. If they decide to hang up at the tree line, they still won't be safe.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/thebestofindica/d0ae72ba17c265d1bb3a41847c18f12a.jpg

9mm_shooter
12-17-14, 08:08
What is the general opinion of the Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5x 24mm (http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-8-5x-24mm)? At around $1800, could this be a decent option for targets out to 500 m?

Sticks
12-18-14, 04:46
For that much money, you can get a Nightforce 2.5 - 10 x 30, or better, and have cash left over for match ammo.

Heavyweight
12-18-14, 09:18
What is the general opinion of the Bushnell SMRS 1-8.5x 24mm (http://www.bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-8-5x-24mm)? At around $1800, could this be a decent option for targets out to 500 m?

It's a fantastic optic. I sold my Nightforce NXS compact 1-4x to fund most of the purchase. It's an absolutely amazing piece of glass. Like you, I wanted something that could reach out to 500M and 4x just wasn't enough for me. There was nothing wrong with the Nightforce....I just wanted more magnification without having to go up to a 32 size objective and losing my 1x (if I stayed with Nightforce).

I have it on my generic, home defense AR setup that doubles as a coyote gun....16" barrel. I feel a lot more comfortable taking longer shots now. The quality isn't any better than Nightforce but it's equal in every way. If you have the funds it's the way to go IMHO.

Heavyweight

bikerdog
01-15-15, 14:04
It's a fantastic optic. I sold my Nightforce NXS compact 1-4x to fund most of the purchase. It's an absolutely amazing piece of glass. Like you, I wanted something that could reach out to 500M and 4x just wasn't enough for me. There was nothing wrong with the Nightforce....I just wanted more magnification without having to go up to a 32 size objective and losing my 1x (if I stayed with Nightforce).

I have it on my generic, home defense AR setup that doubles as a coyote gun....16" barrel. I feel a lot more comfortable taking longer shots now. The quality isn't any better than Nightforce but it's equal in every way. If you have the funds it's the way to go IMHO.

Heavyweight

Is it a true 1 power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk