PDA

View Full Version : question on 1-4 power scopes

Daemonbane
04-15-10, 10:02
I was looking at a Millet DMS 1-4x scope and was wondering as to general concesus is on 1-4 power scopes. I've seen the Trijicons and Leopulds in the picture thread and their prices tags, so what do you all think of them, and is the Millet a decent scope?

LMT42
04-15-10, 12:24
The search button is useful...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5167&highlight=millett

Pathfinder Ops
04-15-10, 12:28
I was looking at a Millet DMS 1-4x scope and was wondering as to general concesus is on 1-4 power scopes. I've seen the Trijicons and Leopulds in the picture thread and their prices tags, so what do you all think of them, and is the Millet a decent scope?

I run the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T on my primary rig which is a RRA CAR4.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-cqt-riflescopes/mark-4-1-3x14mm-cqt/

YES, it was pricey.
YES, its a little heavy.
YES its a DAMN good choice .....for me.

It gives me the things I want and it is worth every penny I paid, which was right around $600.

The battery life is not what others have but I have never had an issue and frankly carrying an extra battery isn't an issue. It's a quick change out.

Also, I like the reticle design and it doesn't require power to see it but does have multiple (10) settings 2 of which are for NVG's.

Daemonbane
04-15-10, 13:43
The mark 4 CQ/T looks nice but I haven't heard too many very positive things, especially after doing a search, people seem to like them but not love em.

I'm getting the feeling from continued searching that I should look into Trijicon TR21's and TR24's. What you all say about this package deal: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=325

TehLlama
04-15-10, 18:41
The TR-24G is the most attractive offering out there for dual illuminated. TS24>>TR21.
The Viper PST is coming in June from Vortex Optics, very attractive in Mil and MOA options.
The Meopta K-Dot is a favority of three gun shooters, the newer K is shorter, with reticle changes.
The Burris and Millet options are very popular among budget optics - whichever feature set works better for you.
Swarovski's Z6i 1-6x is very attractive - if they had a BDC reticle I'd be all over that.

In any case, that's my effort to condense that sticky, and some google searching - take that as a start and enjoy the week or so of research you'll want to do before you'll be comfortable with your decision.

ranburr
04-15-10, 22:19
Millett is cheap, chicom crapola. Save your money for something better.

kmrtnsn
04-15-10, 22:31
I run a Burris XTR-14 1 -4X. It is what I would consider the real entry level in a field of excellent 1-4X optics; Trijicon, Leopold, etc. I like mine. More $$ gets you better; less money gets you crap.

SW-Shooter
04-18-10, 18:29
Millett is cheap, chicom crapola. Save your money for something better.

This is one of the dumbest responses I've had the displeasure to read. The Millett DMS-1 is a superb entry level, budget optic. It fits the bill nicely for those that are not spendy on gun stuff. Does it mean it has no place on a combat rifle, maybe. I've heard a story or two about Millett's in combat, but I for one have no experience with them outside the U.S.

Do I own one, yes I do. I think that it is a great optic for the price. I am anxiously waiting for Vortex to release their offering. The glass is supposed to be on par with the big boys in the game. It will likely put the Millett into retirement.

Don't knock the DMS-1 if you are on a budget. If you have loads of cash, buy the Nightforce. Either optic will do what it's intended to do.

shittercrewchief
04-18-10, 18:45
I'm getting the feeling from continued searching that I should look into Trijicon TR21's and TR24's. What you all say about this package deal: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=325

I Have a tr-24G on a larue mount and love it. i prefer the triangle over the cross hairs. feels quicker.

ranburr
04-18-10, 22:29
This is one of the dumbest responses I've had the displeasure to read. The Millett DMS-1 is a superb entry level, budget optic. It fits the bill nicely for those that are not spendy on gun stuff. Does it mean it has no place on a combat rifle, maybe. I've heard a story or two about Millett's in combat, but I for one have no experience with them outside the U.S.

Do I own one, yes I do. I think that it is a great optic for the price. I am anxiously waiting for Vortex to release their offering. The glass is supposed to be on par with the big boys in the game. It will likely put the Millett into retirement.

Don't knock the DMS-1 if you are on a budget. If you have loads of cash, buy the Nightforce. Either optic will do what it's intended to do.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Millett is simply a low quality importer.

Daemonbane
04-19-10, 08:27
Ranburr, please gives some facts to support your opinion.

Anyone have some experience with Nikon's M-223 1-4x power? Read a little about it in Combat Arms I picked up this weekend.

TehLlama
04-19-10, 12:26
I'm not saying Millett is something I'd stake my life on if I had a choice, but for something that goes to the range and back, I wouldn't hesitate to get one at that price, or to evaluate the concept of using a 1-4x optic on a rig before plunking down some change on a TR24, NXS, or S&B. Since most rifles only make trips to and from the range in a nice padded bag, the Millett isn't as unattractive.
I'd still recommend the Burris over it, and if you can find the change, the Vortex Viper PST when it comes out should be a significant improvement.

Nikon's latest .223 offering is an extremely attractive daytime optic if you're on a very tight budget. It really lacks any low-light contingency ability, and the cost of adding even a budget miniRDS to piggyback (TNVC RDP-II probably cheapest quality one), you might as well step up to something better.
So, for daytime use, great. But why go with a 1-4x variable - if this answers the question for you, go for it, but I suspect lots of people won't think it through, and get an optic that suits them poorly.

Keep in mind that the publications exist to get you excited about new offerings, not so much to point out every flaw in a new design for the casual reader to scrutinize. The internet is plenty good at that anyway.

Daemonbane
04-19-10, 15:23
I guess what I need is a scope for plinking from 15-200 yards, I had the feeling that a 1-4 times would be sufficient for this. Only scope I've really used is a 50 year old scope on my used .22 marlin, and its a 2-6x power but doesn't seem like it.

The Nikon scopes (M-223 and Monarch) look like decent items to use to get my feet wet, the Burris XTR and Trijicon TR24 seems more of if you're certain.

Red dots are nice and all, but I just don't like the limitations for what I want to do and I like to see where I'm hitting.

XxMerlinxX
04-19-10, 21:31
I just don't think I could drop the coin on a Trijicon Accupoint when I could get a Konus M30 1-4x24 for $150 instead. They have similar stats and I'm not a big fan of the green triangle or the German #4 in the Trijicon, not to mention the Trijicon doesn't have battery powered illumination, just tritium and fiber optics instead. As far as the Burris goes, I like the reticle they use, but the illumination in the scope that I handled was very poor. Not all of the reticle was lit up uniformly and it seemed to waver a little.

newyork
04-20-10, 06:40
I just don't think I could drop the coin on a Trijicon Accupoint when I could get a Konus M30 1-4x24 for $150 instead. They have similar stats and I'm not a big fan of the green triangle or the German #4 in the Trijicon, not to mention the Trijicon doesn't have battery powered illumination, just tritium and fiber optics instead. As far as the Burris goes, I like the reticle they use, but the illumination in the scope that I handled was very poor. Not all of the reticle was lit up uniformly and it seemed to waver a little.

The Accupoint comes in red and amber also. Can the $150 Konus seriously be considered in the same league as the Trij? Never seen one but I just figure you get what you pay for to some extent.

newyork
04-20-10, 06:41

The Accupoint comes in red and amber also. Can the $150 Konus seriously be considered in the same league as the Trij? Never seen one but I just figure you get what you pay for to some extent. How about the Meopta?

XxMerlinxX
04-20-10, 10:16
I had one of the Konus M30 6.5-25x44 scopes and loved it. The glass was super clear and the illuminated reticle didn't get washed out during the day. What I didn't like was that the target turrets stuck way out, but I've heard that this has been changed now so that they're low profile.

I'll probably end up getting their 1-4x24, but I'm just not wild about the German #4 reticle. I'd really like something with a horseshoe or donut instead, even the Vortex reticle would be better I'm thinking.