PDA

View Full Version : PX4 Opinions?

Skyyr
04-15-10, 11:23
Hey guys...

My little brother's 21st birthday is coming up and he's been looking for a handgun. I'm planning on helping fund his purchase and I'd like to make sure the gun he gets is actually a good one. I know a lot about rifles and AR's, but very little about handguns.

How does the Beretta PX4 rate? I have done research on the Beretta 92FS and that is what I originally suggested that he get (based on its quality and track record). However, he REALLY likes the PX4. Based on the little research I've done, it shares many similarities with the 92FS and that would lead me to believe it's a good to go gun.

That said, I'm open to any opinions or reviews that might offer some insight.

Thanks in advance!

ralph
04-15-10, 13:29
You might do well to check over at the Beretta forum..I've got a commerical M9, and I used to go over there alot. In the recent past reading posts over there, there were alot of complaints with the PX4..many of which delt with "trigger slap". Beretta at the time was doing it's level best to deny everything..How this was resolved I don't know..I would do some research first, I'm sure for the price, you can do much better,M&P, Glock, possibly HK (depending on price)All are probably better choices IMO, Anyway, go over there and look around, I believe they have a PX4 forum, That'd be a good starting point...

Safetyhit
04-15-10, 14:10
My humble recommendation would be this Beretta:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51246

A bit smaller and lighter than the 92, but with all the benefits and also a built in rail. As stated there I am very happy with mine so far, but it still has yet fully prove it's durability.

Also, one of our smarter folks here recently stated that the PX4 is prone to issues, and one or two others agreed via first hand trouble. Not that it means everything, but something to consider.

gtmtnbiker98
04-15-10, 14:14
At that price range, get a Glock or M&P.

Skyyr
04-15-10, 15:05

Any particular reason why? I personally am not fond of any handgun without a manual safety. I know the Glocks don't have them, and not many retailers carry the M&P with manual safety.

Being his first handgun, I'd prefer for him to become accustomed to safe handling and having a safety. Again, that's purely my preference and I recognize it as my opinion. It's just that if I'm going to contribute to a handgun, I'd like to ensure a responsible choice.

Littlelebowski
04-15-10, 15:09
Read this (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=522885&postcount=22)

John_Wayne777
04-15-10, 15:18
I would strongly encourage avoiding rotary-barreled handguns. Their track record is pretty bad. Beretta's last rotary barreled handgun was awful. Just ask some of the LEO's here who were stuck with them as issue guns.

The default answer is going to be something like a Glock or an M&P because of price range, ease of use, and the fact that they work. The M&P can even be had with a safety. Also worthy of consideration would be something like a Sig P229 or a P30.

Safetyhit
04-15-10, 15:28
Read this (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=522885&postcount=22)

Italy, specifically Rome and it's architecture will have far outlasted anything we currently produce, despite the tower in Pisa. But of course it proves something to focus on one benign mistake regardless. This having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with firearms on top of the overt insult.

One of the most baseless posts ever made here. Congratulations to both you and the OP.

Safetyhit
04-15-10, 15:29
I would strongly encourage avoiding rotary-barreled handguns. Their track record is pretty bad. Beretta's last rotary barreled handgun was awful. Just ask some of the LEO's here who were stuck with them as issue guns.

This was one of the knowledgeable individuals I was referring to, OP. Most likely very sound advice.

NCPatrolAR
04-15-10, 15:37
Here are some links for you to look through:

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17246&highlight=beretta+storm

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17273&highlight=beretta+storm

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3279&highlight=beretta+storm

RogerinTPA
04-15-10, 17:30
It Sucks, breaks to often for me. This weapon is one that truly tried my patience. M&P9 or 9c or Glock 17, 19... hands down. The M&Ps come in every flavor you want, with or without a manual safety. Get one from G&R tactical with the Apex sear installed.

montanadave
04-15-10, 19:26
If you're gonna buy Italian firearms, I'd suggest Italian Army surplus--"Never been fired, only dropped once!"

I kid. :D

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming (i.e. responses pertinent to the OP's inquiry).

pgpd3147
04-15-10, 20:37
That is my duty weapon and I don't like it. The decock lever is not very user friendly. It just doesn't feel right in my hand. I have shot the M&P .40 and PX4 back to back. The M&P felt better and I had better shot groups with it. Also some of the instructors said they were having issues with the rotating barrel. The only reason we got them was because the factory is in Accokeek, MD. What better way to advertise your product then have the local PD use them. Fortunately we got smarter and went to the M&P .40.

mkmckinley
04-16-10, 04:21

+1, but it's your money. Get what you think is best.

Littlelebowski
04-16-10, 06:38
Italy, specifically Rome and it's architecture will have far outlasted anything we currently produce, despite the tower in Pisa. But of course it proves something to focus on one benign mistake regardless. This having absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with firearms on top of the overt insult.

One of the most baseless posts ever made here. Congratulations to both you and the OP.

Jokes aren't your forte, are they? Or are you just that thin skinned? Did you read the first hand experience of the instructor regarding the PX4s (the whole point of the post) or were you unable to see through your tears of rage?

John_Wayne777
04-16-10, 06:57
Alrighty then....let's all cool down for a minute, Gents.

Todd has, I would say, a pretty good read on the PX4 since he was actually around at Beretta when they were cooking it up. I'd listen carefully to what he has to say.

...but let's not make this a thread about Todd.

Safetyhit
04-16-10, 09:14
...or were you unable to see through your tears of rage?

Now that's funny.

Anyhow, as far as Todd being "around at Beretta" while the handgun was being "cooked up" JW, well perhaps we have found our explanation as to the issues being described.

:D

dojpros
04-16-10, 09:35
If a manual safety is driving the train, spend the time and money and go with the M & P. Putting the engineering issues aside for a moment, why learn to run a pistol with two distinct trigger pulls if you do not have to ( i.e. issued agency pistol). While I am aware of non da/sa versions, I suspect those will be even tougher to find than an M&P with a safety.

YMMV Greatly

NCPatrolAR
04-16-10, 19:04
I suspect those will be even tougher to find than an M&P with a safety.

YMMV Greatly

Around here, you cant find any Storms other than the "C" variants.

PrivateCitizen
04-16-10, 23:29
I'm not sure I'd ever buy, or help a relative buy, a firearm that wasn't absolutely up to accomplishing its primary task.

If this is a plinker and will literally never be considered /used in a SD situation (stored locked, unloaded), then I suppose anything fine.

If he intends to carry this … potentially protect loved ones with it … I just can't see rolling the dice on an unknown variables of a, somewhat, criticized design.

Regarding the PX4. Ergonomically, I like it it shot pretty well, felt good in the hand. I've become somewhat disillusioned with DA/SA autos, though.

HES
04-18-10, 01:42
Former PX4 owner here. I didn't have any problems with mine. Others have though. What got me away from the PX4 was the gritty trigger (no trigger sting issues for me) and most importantly the manual safety. Its a PITA to use. Since I was carrying mine for SD, my choices were carry it with the safety off or pray like hell I could actuate when called for. I am now a very happy owner of an M&P.

Socom
04-18-10, 02:18
I'm shooting a Beretta 92FS myself and i'm very exited about the Beretta PX4 Storm SD .45ACP (http://www.berettaweb.com/Beretta_PX4_45/Beretta_PX4_45.html) (SD: Special Duty). This is the result of a project started by Beretta, designed to meet the rigorous specifications of S.O.C.O.M. Disadvantage: It is a special version with a 'special' price. ;)

mkmckinley
04-18-10, 02:51
It may be a great firearms for all I know, but to be fair "built to SOCOM's specifications" doesn't mean much. SOCOM didn't adopt that pistol, did they? Every time I open a magazine or catolog I see a bunch of shit with "SOCOM" and "Special Forces" written all over it that real BTDT's would laugh at. Those "Black Ops" watches and godawful TOPS knives come immediately to mind. It pisses me off when these companies cash in on the reputations of servicemembers to sell their janky products.

edit: Sorry, just saw the TOPS knives ad again and had to vent.

Socom
04-18-10, 02:55
S.O.C.O.M. doesn't say all, true. But Beretta had to meet several specifications to get that big order from the US Army and Police forces. So it isn't only the name in this specific case.

mkmckinley
04-18-10, 04:17
What big order? I'm in the Army and haven't heard of or seen any PX-4's. I have no doubt that some police use PX-4's but they don't seem to be widely issued. I'm not trying to yuck your yum, I've never even seen the pistol you mentioned, but it's not used by SOCOM or any other unit that I'm aware of. If you think the PX4 SD will work for you go ahead and buy one and let us know how it does.

120mm
04-18-10, 04:42
I went ahead and bought one, because a friend of mine wanted familiarization with the M9 system, and the PX4 was instantly available and had similar controls. We put a couple hundred rounds through it, and it shoots well.

The ergos are typical Beretta awful, it's system is "cute" and it has that nasty bad repuation.

In addition, I learned that an attractive woman can talk me into just about anything, including buying a PX4 so I can spend the afternoon shooting with her.

YMMV.

Socom
04-18-10, 05:54
What big order? I'm in the Army and haven't heard of or seen any PX-4's. I have no doubt that some police use PX-4's but they don't seem to be widely issued. I'm not trying to yuck your yum, I've never even seen the pistol you mentioned, but it's not used by SOCOM or any other unit that I'm aware of.
True. The order did not come that far, the 'possible' order of 649.000 pistols is cancelled last year. To the great disappointment of manufacturers like Sig Arms, Taurus, S&W, FNH USA, Para USA, Springfield, Glock, HK and.. Beretta USA.
So it's possible that you knew nothing from this at all.

If you think the PX4 SD will work for you go ahead and buy one and let us know how it does.
I've tested several PX4 Storm variants like type F and G in 9x19mm (capacity: 17rnds) .40S&W (capacity: 14rnds) and the .45ACP (capacity: 8-9rnds). Accuracy: very nice for a service pistol. I shoot it better than a brand new Glock 17 out of the box. And finally, the PX4 Storm comes with three sizes of (back) grips: S-M-L. I had no problems with my big hands.

So this is what i can tell you guys about the PX4..

Alpha Sierra
04-18-10, 08:10
Being his first handgun, I'd prefer for him to become accustomed to safe handling
And why is safe handing of firearms, in your view, dependent on the type of firearm being handled? There is more to do, and more to forget to do, with a DA/SA handgun that has to be decocked for admin handling.

It's just that if I'm going to contribute to a handgun, I'd like to ensure a responsible choice.
Which implies that those who choose differently are irresponsible?

PS, you do realize that DA/SA pistols can be carried off-safe without a problem, right?

John_Wayne777
04-18-10, 08:28
S.O.C.O.M. doesn't say all, true. But Beretta had to meet several specifications to get that big order from the US Army and Police forces. So it isn't only the name in this specific case.

What "big order"?

There have been several attempts within the military to buy a new pistol for various units. (JCP, anyone?) The gun companies, as defense contractors are want to do, developed guns that met the requirements for these proposals. Ultimately the military dropped the issue leaving the gun companies with guns they'd put some time and money into with no buyer.

So what are they to do?

Slap a sexy label on it like "SOCOM PISTOL!!!!", put big sexy writeups on it in gun magazines, and hope people will buy it, hence the proliferation of .45 caliber polymer handguns lately with tan frames and extended barrels.

The PX4 hasn't been adopted by any branch or unit of the US military for anything as far as I know.

The gun you are talking about has nothing to do with SOCOM whatsoever or with the US military. It's a gun Beretta cobbled together to meet some requirements in an RFP laid out by somebody in the military. Simply building a gun that meets the minimum specs laid out in an RFP (must have adjustable grips, must be in caliber X, etc) does not mean that the gun would have done well in trials or gone on to be adopted, so put absolutely zero stock in advertising or labeling implying otherwise.

Given the PX4's record in police hands so far, it is highly unlikely that the weapon would have done well in military testing. Rotary-barrel handguns just don't work well. There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of the market uses the Browning style camming barrel locking system...it works. When gun companies make bad decisions (like producing a rotary-barreled gun that sucks) it's tempting for them to view the effort and expense they "invested" into that bad decision as salvageable, and to then make more bad decisions (like "perfecting" the rotary barreled gun that sucks) to keep from "losing" what they put into chasing the original bad idea. They often fail to heed the advice of that old Kenny Roger song....you got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em.

Littlelebowski
04-18-10, 08:30
What "big order"?

There have been several attempts within the military to buy a new pistol for various units. (JCP, anyone?) The gun companies, as defense contractors are want to do, developed guns that met the requirements for these proposals. Ultimately the military dropped the issue leaving the gun companies with guns they'd put some time and money into with no buyer.

So what are they to do?

Slap a sexy label on it like "SOCOM PISTOL!!!!", put big sexy writeups on it in gun magazines, and hope people will buy it.

The PX4 hasn't been adopted by any branch or unit of the US military for anything as far as I know.

The gun you are talking about has nothing to do with SOCOM whatsoever or with the US military. It's a gun Beretta cobbled together to meet some requirements in an RFP laid out by somebody in the military. Simply building a gun that meets the minimum specs laid out in an RFP (must have adjustable grips, must be in caliber X, etc) does not mean that the gun would have done well in trials or gone on to be adopted, so put absolutely zero stock in advertising or labeling implying otherwise.

And that's why I love this place. Carry on.

Socom
04-18-10, 08:33
What "big order"?

My point here. Enough about SOCOM kay? We are talking about the PX4 for a guy who want to buy a handgun for his brother. :D

Outlander Systems
04-18-10, 10:17
Buy him a Glock.

Socom
04-18-10, 10:21
I would ask him the question: "What discipline are going to shoot with it?"

Outlander Systems
04-18-10, 10:25
Cowboy Action Shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TubCWCETyWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnu4P0Y-JAk&feature=related

The increased magazine capacity of a modern semi-auto negates the need for a New York reload.