PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense EZ Carbine 7.0 Handguard

cathellsk
04-15-10, 21:59
Got an Aim Surplus email today with this rail featured and can't get the search to work for me (keeps timing out, don't know if its my computer or the site).
What are everyone's thoughts on it? I know its not free float, so aside from that aspect.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDD5010&groupid=52

cathellsk
04-17-10, 01:02
Anyone?

bkb0000
04-17-10, 01:18
its brand new, i don't think anyones put one through the paces yet. but i think it's gonna be a big hit, and cant believe DD didn't do it sooner.

OPPFOR
04-17-10, 01:24
I like the price. I'd like to try one out but I already have an omega. The other DD products I've tried have all been quality parts and I'm sure this will be as well.

Lee Indy
04-17-10, 02:41
you can get a troy mrf for about that price if you want free float

austinN4
04-17-10, 05:34
I don't believe the Troy MRF-C at the same price point is free float.

ForTehNguyen
04-17-10, 07:45

MRF is a drop in rail just like the DD EZ

justin_247
04-17-10, 09:58
MRF is a drop in rail just like the DD EZ

Not true. It requires that you modify the host weapon by cutting off the delta ring assembly and costs significantly more than the DD rail. The only Troy rail that is truly a drop-in not requiring host weapon modification is the MRF-DI, and it's in the same price range as the DD.

Redhat
04-17-10, 10:05
I looked at both on the internet. Anyone know which has a lower profile (thinner)?

bigb4015
04-17-10, 12:36
Anyone have a pic of one installed? Besides the one already shown.

Lee Indy
04-17-10, 15:06
i said about that price

http://store.troyind.com/7_MRF_C_Rail_Systems_for_all_M4_M16_Type_Carbines_p/srai-mrf-c7bt-00.htm

ive seen them on average at about 160ish

PdxMotoxer
04-17-10, 16:17
Anyone have a pic of one installed? Besides the one already shown.
I remember stickman had a sweet one somewhere.
I'll go hunting for ya.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WEVO%20II/STCK0184-800-MT.jpg

I'm content with my MOE handguard now but i admit i was looking into these
for something more SOLID.

Merle
04-17-10, 20:53
I like how it is a continuous rail with the upper reciever. I don't think the drop in Troy handguard is like that.

austinN4
04-17-10, 21:20
i said about that price
ive seen them on average at about 160ish
Yep, I had it mixed up with the MRF-DI.

bkb0000
04-17-10, 21:24
I like how it is a continuous rail with the upper reciever. I don't think the drop in Troy handguard is like that.

i'm not quite sure why they went continuous... it's arguably useless on a FF rail, totally useless on a drop-in set.

Redhat
04-17-10, 21:28
i'm not quite sure why they went continuous... it's arguably useless on a FF rail, totally useless on a drop-in set.

Why so?

bigb4015
04-17-10, 21:28
i'm not quite sure why they went continuous... it's arguably useless on a FF rail, totally useless on a drop-in set. Just for looks maybe. I could take it or leave it..

Jimbo45
04-17-10, 23:35
Wonder how this EZ 7.0 compares to a KAC RAS, in regard to weight? I usually just roll with the KAC for a drop in, on carbines, but if the EZ is lighter, my interest may be piqued....

vicious_cb
04-18-10, 00:14

I wouldnt say useless. For one thing it covers up that annoying gap of exposed gas tube. I can get some gas blow back from the gas tube hole in the receiver which gets crud on the front lens of my aimpoint. I say covering up that gap is a good thing.

bkb0000
04-18-10, 02:34
Why so?

i guess i should rephrase and say i know of no use for the gap filler on a drop-in hanguard. if you do, please enlighten me

Redhat
04-18-10, 07:47
i guess i should rephrase and say i know of no use for the gap filler on a drop-in hanguard. if you do, please enlighten me

I don't...I was hoping you would enlighten the members on why it was not useful?

HeavyDuty
04-18-10, 09:57
I think these are round, not oval - right?

What I'd personally like to see in a drop-in rail: something the same cylindrical diameter as an A2 corncob except for a taller built-in top rail that spans the Delta ring gap and that has well-designed mountings on the sides and bottom for optional rail sections, plus at 1:30 and 10:30 for short rail segments to mount lights. I find most quads to be uncomfortably large, and my TRX-E is a smidge too thin. I think the 2"-2.25" A2 diameter is just about perfect...

bkb0000
04-18-10, 12:51
I don't...I was hoping you would enlighten the members on why it was not useful?

you don't mount optics on the handguard, generally speaking, and you certainly dont do it on drop-in guards. you'd likely have some trouble holding zero. because of this, and because optics are really the only thing you'd ever want to mount in that particular spot, filling the gap is pretty pointless.

somebody else mentioned the extra coverage keeps soot off his aimpoint- i've never experienced that, or if i did, i didn't know it- but that would be a perfectly good reason to want the gap piece.

cathellsk
04-18-10, 12:57
Thanks for the info on this rail guys.
Something I just noticed, no QD swivel mount. Oh well, they make add ons.

zachsm
04-18-10, 14:48

I like the monolithic rails because it is much easier to index the rail for a front sight and It keeps carbon off your optics. Some people like to bridge their RDS across as well.

bkb0000
04-18-10, 15:40
I like the monolithic rails because it is much easier to index the rail for a front sight and It keeps carbon off your optics. Some people like to bridge their RDS across as well.

i dont think most mounts will clear the delta ring, without dremeling.. so this generally only works on one-piece FF rails. but you wouldn't want to bridge the gap with a non-FF hanguard.

PdxMotoxer
04-18-10, 15:41
It may just be a looks thing, kinda like how even magpul trigger guards
even put in their description "fills the annoying "gap" at the rear of the standard trigger guard".

It could even be mere aerodynamics. lol

bkb0000
04-18-10, 15:45
It may just be a looks thing, kinda like how even magpul trigger guards
even put in their description "fills the annoying "gap" at the rear of the standard trigger guard".

It could even be mere aerodynamics. lol

the gap at the trigger guard isn't annoying because it's ugly- it's "annoying" because it'll scrape the skin off your middle finger after half a day's drilling.

RogerinTPA
04-18-10, 15:48
It's a great idea. I too am surprised DD didn't do this sooner. Hopefully they will expand to include 9.0 rails for the Middy.

Redhat
04-18-10, 17:28
Hopefully somebody will mount a RDS on it and see if it holds zero. :D

shadow65
04-18-10, 18:46
I personally like the continuous top rail if for no other reason, the look. And I see no reason not to have it that way.