PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Clothing Question

Dave L.
05-02-07, 17:03
What company makes the most comfortable well built Tactical Clothing (NOT BDU's); mainly pants and shirts?
Where is the best place to buy them if you need them in a hurry(3 days)?

Dave L.
05-02-07, 17:10
Is the Sigtac line worth the money?

LOKNLOD
05-02-07, 17:25
Dave,

I've heard nothing but good about the Woolrich Elite series. Their website (http://www.backyardoutfitter.com/Index.htm) has a retailer locator that might help you find some place that has stuff in stock and can ship quick.

Dave L.
05-02-07, 17:32
Dave,

I've heard nothing good about the Woolrich Elite series. Their website (http://www.backyardoutfitter.com/Index.htm) has a retailer locator that might help you find some place that has stuff in stock and can ship quick.

Are you saying that you have heard bad things about them?

davemcdonald
05-02-07, 18:24
I have a boat load of 511 stuff and have been wearing Royal Robbins hiking gear long before the tac line was created. It is all good durable outdoor wear.

As a caveat, I prefer Woolrich tac shorts over 511 because:
1. wallet pocket
2. button instead of snap
3. small cell phone/mag pocket on both sides

Dave

Dave L.
05-02-07, 22:00
Honestly, I'm looking for what would be appropriate for work in the sand box/training courses.

LOKNLOD
05-02-07, 22:11
Are you saying that you have heard bad things about them?

WHOOPS! That was a typo! Sorry! I meant to say "nothing BUT good". Sorry for the confusion. I haven't picked up any yet, but if I was in need that would be the first I'd try. I've been meaning to get a set of the discreet pants for when I'm "dressed up".

Dave L.
05-03-07, 23:37
I decided to go with the Woolrich elite series. One pair of the regular pants and one of the light weight pants.
I'll put them through the ringer next week and give my 2cents about them.
Also bought a few of the "instructor style" light weight short sleeve button ups.
thanks for all the great advice,
dave

rob_s
05-04-07, 04:16
I'm generally a very big fan of the Woolrich over the 5.11s, and I own both. I own the older Royal Robbins 5.11s and the newer ones since they became their own company. I also have Woolrich pants from the 10-8 early release and newer ones.

I have three complaints with the Woolrich:
1) the regular weight pants are heavy. I don't just mean they are hot (which they are) but they actually weigh alot. Load them up with crap and they way a TON. This will start to drag on you after a full day. The lightweight pants are awesome in the heat and do address this, but they almost need a medium weight that's more in line with the 5.11s.

2) They seem inconsistent from time to time. I have two pairs of the lightweight pants, both bought at the same time from the same vendor, and the belt loops are not spaced the same. So what? Well one pair allows me to wear my VMII exactly where I want it and the other pushes it either too far forward or too far back. I lobbied hard for Woolrich to add the belt loop on the side (the early release pants didn't have it) and I'm glad it's there, but if Woolrich can't get consistent spacing of the loops I'd prefer that they send the side loops un-attached to the pant for the end user to sew on themselves (or the 10-8 crew that told me I was stupid for wanting the loop to begin with can just throw it away).

3) The front loops are too close to the button. This is just a personal thing, but I still wear leather belts and haven't gone the way of the Wilderness belt. I have trouble tucking the tail of a good gunbelt under itself on the left side. Having those loops slightly further spaced would help that.

Dave L.
05-04-07, 07:44
Rob,
Thanks for all that info. I get the pants in the mail today (one regular weight and one light weight) and I'll be sure to try and diagnose those problems immediately....I think I have a Grandma who loves to sew(just in case)