PDA

View Full Version : P2000SK???

loupav
04-16-10, 13:36
I'm a huge fan of the HK P2000 Series. I have 9mm and .40 in V3 DA/SA trigger, and one 9mm in LEM just to try out the LEM trigger. I personally have logged over 8k rounds through my first 9mm and hope to start the 2000 round challenge this weekend.

Recently I've been thinking about buying a P2000SK in 9mm with a V3 trigger. Just to play with it, if I like it enough, it will serve as a back up to my 9mm P2000.

I'll probably pick it up used to save some case. And yes I have taken three pistol classes, 2 with a Sig, the last one in March with my P2000 9mm.

I was just wondering what everyone here thinks of the SK. How does it compare to the full size gun? If you own one, would your recommend it? Is it comfortable to shoot? Is it a good sub-compact gun? Is it reliable?

My P2000's have ate thousands of rounds with 99.9999999% reliability. There was one malfunction with Wolf ammo, but it does not shake my confidence in the weapon system.

Thank you all,
Louis

CyberM4
04-16-10, 21:52
I don't own one yet. But I like how it feels in my hand. If I buy one it may be the 357 SIG if not 9MM. My compact is the USPC SS 40.

ColdDeadHands
04-17-10, 00:42
I've owned one some time back but had to sell it. It was a great gun; accurate & reliable.

jdavis6576
04-17-10, 05:33
I owned the P2Ksk in .40LEM and the P2k in .40LEM, I shot the sk better than the full size. It had very little recoil for a subcompact so I'd imagine the same platform in 9mm would be an even softer shooter. If it fits your hand, proceed with confidence. The only think I didn't like about it was the way the mag extension curled forward as it cramped my fingers a little. The only reason I sold it was to purchase my first AR.

Brook724
04-17-10, 09:31
I put about 4500 rounds through my P2000SK 9mm V3 without a single stoppage. It's a very ergonomic gun for being so small. If your hands are small, the extended baseplates are fairly comfortable but most people seem to prefer the flat baseplates. I can actually get a full grip with either one. Obviously the flat plates make the gun slightly more concealable.

I sold my SK recently only because the P30 took its place. But if I needed a smaller gun, I would defnitely buy another one. I would probably go for the LEM, though.

kmrtnsn
04-17-10, 16:47
I have a P2000SK in .40S&W that I use as a daily carry. I am at the 8,000rd march with no failures. Unlike the G27, the P2000SK was designed as a .40 first, a 9mm second. If you shoot left-handed much you'll really appreciate the ambi controls.

loupav
04-19-10, 10:38
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I've pretty much made up mind. I'll be jumping on a used P2000SK 9mm V3. But it won't be this month as I just bought a G17. Perhaps as an early birthday gift to myself! ;)

Thanks again,
Louis

gtmtnbiker98
04-19-10, 11:41
Why bounce between V3 and V2? With that said, I also own a V2 P2000 .40 and a V3 P2000SK 9mm (not to sound like a hypocrite). If I had it to do over again, my P2000SK would also be an LEM. For me, it is no more difficult to conceal the P2000 as compared to the P2000SK. The SK is nice, but in all actuality, it isn't that much more concealable. I really like the P2000 a lot more than the SK, the SK really doesn't do too much for me.

kmrtnsn
04-19-10, 22:09
With the flat floorplates the SK is significantly easier to conceal.

loupav
04-19-10, 22:52
Why bounce between V3 and V2?

The V2 i have is actually Greg Bell's P2000 that he tried to break. He gave me a good deal on it and it's my only LEM gun. I usually lend it out to people who want to try out the LEM trigger, as I did this weekend. I prefer the V3 trigger as I started shooting with Sigs. But I just bought it so that I could try out a LEM trigger for myself.

gtmtnbiker98
04-20-10, 08:44
With the flat floorplates the SK is significantly easier to conceal.
I'm running flat floor plates and I really can't see the difference. Perhaps it's the MTAC, I use an MTAC for both and so far, I'm not that impressed. Perhaps I should order another VMII for the P2KSK.

nipplehead
04-20-10, 09:48
I have a 2000SK in 9mm. It is a soft shooter for its size and 100% reliable with every thing I put down the pipe

ShipWreck
04-20-10, 10:26
I just bought a P2000 DA/SA 9mm yesterday.

I once had a P99 compact - and I really liked that gun. I just found that I was carrying larger guns concealed, and the P99c stayed in the safe. So, I sold it.

If I was to buy another gun that size (I had a Glock 26 for 8 years prev, but never liked it) - I would likely buy the P2000 SK or the new PX4 subcompact.

loupav
04-20-10, 10:43
Wow, I am glad to see so many positive reviews for the little gun. Kinda makes me want to check out the gun store during my lunch hour. After all, drive thru can't hurt once in a while. ;)

gtmtnbiker98
04-20-10, 11:42
Wow, I am glad to see so many positive reviews for the little gun. Kinda makes me want to check out the gun store during my lunch hour. After all, drive thru can't hurt once in a while. ;)The only negative you'll hear about HK is the double-action trigger. If you buy an LEM, then you won't have any problems. My P2000SK has the worst DA trigger out of all of my HKs. If I could do it over, I would have bought an LEM. It's hard to go wrong with an HK, so you won't hear too much negative feedback.

loupav
04-20-10, 13:34
It's hard to go wrong with an HK, so you won't hear too much negative feedback.

Oh believe me, I know that!!! I have a least 14 HK handguns. The P2000 V3 9mm is by far my favorite right now. My HK45s are the best 45 pistols I own and I love my USP 45.

I wonder if I should consider the LEM for the SK. I have an LEM gun just to try out. But I don't spend enough time with it.

gtmtnbiker98
04-20-10, 14:13
Oh believe me, I know that!!! I have a least 14 HK handguns. The P2000 V3 9mm is by far my favorite right now. My HK45s are the best 45 pistols I own and I love my USP 45.

I wonder if I should consider the LEM for the SK. I have an LEM gun just to try out. But I don't spend enough time with it.With that many, why not diversify and get the LEM?

loupav
04-21-10, 10:26
Excellent point sir. I think I shall keep the option open subject to some dry fire in the store, or until I find a rental/loaner SK. :D

Thank you again gentlemen.

jasonhgross
04-21-10, 15:14
I heard an agency is experiencing very severe rusting and corrosion problems in the mainspring and firing pin channel. So if you decide to get this gun ensure that you are oiling it and maintaining it much more frequently than any competing glock product or similar. Also, I have found the LEM module has a very specific reset that is late and has a phantom reset that is kind of offputting. If it were me, I would look to a glock or M&P.

ALCOAR
04-21-10, 15:46
I love my SK in .357sig that I picked up a cpl. months back. Shoots like a laser so far, I have shot roughly 350rds of speer lawman, and about 100 golddots.....not one hiccup to date. I have grown to love the mag release on them. Big selling point for me is the ability to run the 12 rds. of .357sig through uspc and p2000 mags w. xgrips. My only small complaint is the .357sig through this small package can pack a lil wallop for this noob:D Don't really cc it that much, even though that is prob. its best asset. I want to grab the .40sw barrel to swap barrels eventually.
http://i41.tinypic.com/w1ehxf.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
04-22-10, 08:16
I heard an agency is experiencing very severe rusting and corrosion problems in the mainspring and firing pin channel. So if you decide to get this gun ensure that you are oiling it and maintaining it much more frequently than any competing glock product or similar. Also, I have found the LEM module has a very specific reset that is late and has a phantom reset that is kind of offputting. If it were me, I would look to a glock or M&P.Sources? I always love the "I heard" posts. Anyways, the agency you are referring to is a Federal Agency and it was on their P2000 V2 .40s. These pistols were subjected to continuous salt water (air and spray) and were NOT maintained. It was not a widespread issue and primarily involved one unit of this agency. This was investigated ad nauseum and was found to be from a lack of proper maintenance.

ralph
04-22-10, 10:21
I don't know about the rust issues, But he does have a point on the trigger reset. I started taking Defensive pistol class, our first class was on Monday evening..Anyway, when doing the 10-10-10 drill, I missed resetting the trigger..twice. After class was over, I went to another range we have, and tried the 10-10-10 drill again, and again missed resetting the trigger twice.. When I got home I got a 6" steel rule out and took some measurements this is what I found..The pistol is a P-2000 with a "light" LEM. Measurements were taken by racking the slide, pulling the trigger, holding it all the way back, racking the slide again. letting the trigger out slowly to reset point, (back of trigger was on a 1/16" mark when starting) trigger reset at 3/8" minus 1/16" starting point, total trigger travel to reset, was 5/16" from reset to sear engagement 3/16"

Compared to my M&P9, (with Apex sear and FPB) from back of trigger to reset 9/32" minus 5/32" starting point wth trigger pulled all the way back, total travel to reset, 4/32" or 1/8" from reset to sear engagement, 2/32" or 1/16" While these measurements are'nt precise as I'd like them, they are close, close enough for me to rethink the choice of a P-2000 as a CCW... My next move is of course to try them both side by side, again using the 10-10-10 drill If I shoot the M&P better with no missed resets, them I'll probably use it for the rest of the class and probably as a CCW..

kmrtnsn
04-22-10, 10:23
So you're saying that if I run around week after week in a 40ft cigarette boat in the waters around Florida that I should perform normal, routine maintenance on my weapon? That lubrication is important? Check.

loupav
04-22-10, 10:43
My last tac-pistol class was in late February. Day 1 was raining like cats and dogs. My P2000 was in a 6005 holster. I remember performing a chamber check and thinking to myself, "How did all that water get in my gun?" It was just beyond me. Sorry, but I never wore a holstered pistol in the rain before.

That night I took it apart and I had rust on the guide rod assembly. But I put it back together and kept going as is. Day 1 & 2 of the class the pistol performed 100%. I couldn't be happier with that gun. I put nearly 1500 rounds before I cleaned it out and when I did, it went in a bath of MPRO7.

She works 100% and feels like a brand new gun. Last Sunday I started the 2000 rounds challenge. I'm 500 rds in.

I'm very familiar with the V3 trigger on P2k's which is why I originally wanted a V3 SK. But I'll just have to play around with my LEM gun to see how I like it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-22-10, 10:46
I had an SK in .40 a few years back. Excellent shooter and the most accurate .40 I have ever owned (which was odd given the tiny sight radius).

I think it is a step up from the G26 which is the subcompact I have now.

I would have ZERO concern about rust. I used to hose out my P2000 with dishwater and simple green. All guns can corrode, a cop buddy of mine had a G27 that had severely rusted internals from riding in an ankle holster for years.

kmrtnsn
04-22-10, 10:50
I originally got the P2000SK as a back-up/alternative carry to my issued (at the time) USPc. I loved the interchangability of magazines, operation, and function. I found that I consistantly shot 1-3 points better with the SK every qual. The SK is now my daily gun, it'll be a sad day if they ever tell me it isn't on the carry list anymore.

gtmtnbiker98
04-22-10, 11:44
So you're saying that if I run around week after week in a 40ft cigarette boat in the waters around Florida that I should perform normal, routine maintenance on my weapon? That lubrication is important? Check.One would assume.

kmrtnsn
04-22-10, 12:30
you would think after the rust bucket problem they had with the 96D's the application of lubrication/corrosion preventative would be de rigueur, but what do I know.

Sry0fcr
04-22-10, 12:35
I don't know about the rust issues, But he does have a point on the trigger reset. I started taking Defensive pistol class, our first class was on Monday evening..Anyway, when doing the 10-10-10 drill, I missed resetting the trigger..twice. After class was over, I went to another range we have, and tried the 10-10-10 drill again, and again missed resetting the trigger twice.. When I got home I got a 6" steel rule out and took some measurements this is what I found..The pistol is a P-2000 with a "light" LEM. Measurements were taken by racking the slide, pulling the trigger, holding it all the way back, racking the slide again. letting the trigger out slowly to reset point, (back of trigger was on a 1/16" mark when starting) trigger reset at 3/8" minus 1/16" starting point, total trigger travel to reset, was 5/16" from reset to sear engagement 3/16"

Compared to my M&P9, (with Apex sear and FPB) from back of trigger to reset 9/32" minus 5/32" starting point wth trigger pulled all the way back, total travel to reset, 4/32" or 1/8" from reset to sear engagement, 2/32" or 1/16" While these measurements are'nt precise as I'd like them, they are close, close enough for me to rethink the choice of a P-2000 as a CCW... My next move is of course to try them both side by side, again using the 10-10-10 drill If I shoot the M&P better with no missed resets, them I'll probably use it for the rest of the class and probably as a CCW..

I think you should spend some more time shooting it to learn the reset and see how it goes. From what at you're saying there's nothing really wrong, it's just different from what you're used to. If all else fails if it's a LEM in 9mm I'll buy it of you. ;)

ralph
04-22-10, 12:56
I think you should spend some more time shooting it to learn the reset and see how it goes. From what at you're saying there's nothing really wrong, it's just different from what you're used to. If all else fails if it's a LEM in 9mm I'll buy it of you. ;)

I agree with you and I plan to try them both and see which works best for me..This is the only complaint I have with the P-2000(yes, it's a 9mm with a light LEM) and it is a training issue, If I can't make it work for me,(I think I may be able to) I may take you up on your offer.One thing I AM going to do is thin my pistol collection down..I have pistols I haven't shot in years,(after shooting HK's and M&P's the last couple of years) and now I'm questioning as to why I have them..I have several in mind for the chopping block, So, keep an eye open in the EE, I may have something you may be interested in. I'll be selling them at very fair prices.... :D