PDA

View Full Version : Input on a quality folding knife

lomp64
04-16-10, 19:55
Looking for some advice on knives; I know absolutely nothing about them.

I am trying to find a nice folding pocket knife type....knife. Something I can keep on me and can be used for all sorts of different stuff. I currently have a cheap ass one and the blade recently broke almost in half so I decided to pick up a quality one and be done with it.

Doesn't need to be super tactical or anything, just high quality and small enough to be easily carried in a pants pocket daily.

Thanks!

SeriousStudent
04-16-10, 20:25
What is your budget?

What kind of attire will you wear? The reason I ask, is that something that goes fine with jeans and boots may make you constantly hitch up your belt in a business suit.

How pissed off will you be if you break it? Do you have a tendency to use a knife as a prybar? Fine if you do, but it is more stress on the blade.

Do you need any other tools - aka a Swiss Army Knife or multitool?

How discreet does it need to be?

Ak44
04-16-10, 20:42
Emerson :cool:

or A multitool

lomp64
04-16-10, 20:42
What is your budget?

What kind of attire will you wear? The reason I ask, is that something that goes fine with jeans and boots may make you constantly hitch up your belt in a business suit.

How pissed off will you be if you break it? Do you have a tendency to use a knife as a prybar? Fine if you do, but it is more stress on the blade.

Do you need any other tools - aka a Swiss Army Knife or multitool?

How discreet does it need to be?

Generally just jeans and everyday casual wear; nothing fancy.

I honestly don't know what to expect as far as a budget goes. I would assume a nice lasts for a very long time knife would be relatively expensive. With that said I am not looking to go over the $150 range.

I am looking for something that will last, so I would be pretty pissed I ended up breaking it but with that said I do understand if you abuse anything it will eventually break.

I already have a multi-tool it is just a little large to slip into a jeans pocket and I don't like walking around with a bunch of shit strapped onto my belt.

Rated21R
04-16-10, 21:17
emerson mini-commander. you can pick them up on ebay for like 125 shipped. i think it might be my next purchase.

Redhat
04-16-10, 21:22
I have a Swiss Army (Victorinox) Soldier I have carried daily for the last few years.

It doesn't cost $150 but it does everything I need on a daily basis. You really need to think about what you expect the knife to be used for.

You don't have to spend $100+ to get a good everyday use knife that will open boxes, cut string, peel fruit or whittle a stick. The Vic is hard to beat for utility and compact size. It has a flat tip screwdriver, awl, bottle opener, can opener and of course a blade...all in a size that easily fits in a front pocket.

Price is around $30 as I recall.

SeriousStudent
04-16-10, 21:24
Agreed, a waved Emerson Mini-Commander is a nice knife, and you can get one for under $150 shipped off fleabay.

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekMini_Commander_BTS.php

Personally, I am not a gigantic fan of serrations. YMMV.

I think I have 5 or 6 Emersons, I'd have to check the safe. They are nice folks, have a great product/warranty, and are awesome supporters of LEO/military.

I probably have 30-40 folders, but an Emerson keeps finding it's way into my pocket for EDC. ;)

ryan
04-16-10, 21:30
Given the amount of folding pocket knives I have owned and lost (the most expensive was a spyderco police edition and a Benchmade auto, I almost shed a tear when I lost them) I have found that the Remington F.A.S.T. series of folders (the largest one) is more than adequate. No they dont hold an edge as long as a Spyderco, Emerson, or Benchmade. It will get sharp enough to shave with, I can skin three deer b4 needing to sharpen. Yes its made in china. Yes you can buy 6 or more of them for the cost of one of the others. They open extremly fast with one hand and are very light. Just my opinion they are the best value in a pocket knife that can be had (19.95 for the large).

Redhat
04-16-10, 21:30
I like Emerson's. How hard is sharpeninig the Commander?

Thanks

Nevermiss
04-16-10, 22:01
I like my Kershaw Leek (many different colors and blade options). I carry it in my dress slacks. It is very thin, light and most practical.

When I am not in dress slacks for work, I usually carry a SOG Trident. I will also probably get an Emerson at some point.

There are many good options. I think it comes down to style and feel because there are dozens of knives that will fit your need. It would be best to go to a store so you can feel and handle them before you decide.

Jerm
04-17-10, 00:53
I'm a big fan of the Benchmade AXIS locks.I've bought a few $100+ knives recently that have caught my eye and ended up regretting it.They end up sold,in a range bag,safe,or stashed arround the house.Because none of the locks come close to the AXIS.

My favorite is my plain edge 950 Rift.It's a little big though...For something like cutting a balloon off of a stroller at the mall(got some looks).I make sure to use the Skeletool CX for that type of thing now.:cool:

Failure2Stop
04-17-10, 05:41
Emersons are nice blades and of high quality, but I find them excessively thick for utility use. To me the knife is a daily use tool, and its primary function is to cut stuff. As such, I want it to cut with the least amount of effort and be easily resharpened.

I really like CPM S30V and 154CM steel for pocket knives. Good edge retention and easy to sharpen. I like straight edges- serrations are fine for those that usae their knives quarterly, but resharpening serrations is a pain in the ass. I stay away from recurved blades since you need to sharpen them with a rod, and a big flat stone will sharpen a traditional blade profile way faster than a rod will sharpen a recurve.

The Spyderco Military are good to go, as are the Benchmade 907-91 Mini-Nitrous, and the 740/745 Dejavoo/Mini-Dejavoo. There are many options, but I have carried these for extended periods of time and they have performed to my requirements. I am, of course, always on the lookout for the perfect knife, and when I find it I will be screaming from rooftops.

Bear in mind that what one person uses a knife for may be completetly different than how you want to apply yours, so what is perfection to some may be abysmal to others.

rob_s
04-17-10, 06:15
Emersons are nice blades and of high quality, but I find them excessively thick for utility use. To me the knife is a daily use tool, and its primary function is to cut stuff. As such, I want it to cut with the least amount of effort and be easily resharpened.

I could not agree more! I see people all the time buying "fighting" knives and then trying to force them into daily use, but I prefer to work it the other way 'round and buy knives that work for the purposes which I encounter most often first.

I've posted this before elsewhere but....

I prefer thumb-holes to thumb-studs. I find that thumb-studs limit the cutting ability and utility of the knife and can get stuck as well as gunked-up on deep cuts in many materials while the hole does not.

I prefer the Benchmade Axis lock to be the best locking mechanism. I do not like liner locks and frame locks because they require you to put your finger or thumb in the path of the sharp edge of the knife blade in order to close it. Old-fashioned frame-locks are better than liner-locks for this reason as well. But the Axis lock allows you to keep your standard grip but also keep your fingers completely free of the path of the blade.

Like F2S, I prefer a plain edge to serrations or partial serrations. Having owned serrated knives I haven't found anything I couldn't cut with a non-serrated blade if kept properly sharpened, up to and including chopping extension cords in half right through the rubber and wire(s).

I prefer a traditional blade style to a tanto or other fancy style. One, continuous, smooth cutting surface without any angular breaks or strange bellies etc. provides the best utility in my experience.

I also believe strongly in coated blades. I have been buying Benchmades since they were still using Birdsong Black-T and carried on through their current coatings. I find BM's claims to be completely true re: rust prevention and I have knives where the finish is worn almost completely off but still refuse to rust, and knives that came brand new without the coating that start rusting almost immediately.

The only knife I've found that meets all of the above requirements is the Benchmade 555BTOD (http://www.benchmade.com/products/555) (scroll down to the bottom of the page). Unfortunately they only make it with the green handle for some reason. They do, however, make other models of the Griptilian line like the 550HG (http://www.benchmade.com/products/550HG) and the 555HG (http://www.benchmade.com/products/555HG) in multiple blade types and finishes as well as sizes.

My one other gripe with the Griptilian line is the handle material and in turn the overall thickness. Having the plastic handle in lieu of the G10-type handles makes it a little thick in the pocket. I find the 710 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/710) to be a viable alternative albeit with a stud instead of a hole.

BM also has a new knife, the "Bone Collector" in the 15020 model with 3.36" blade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/15020) and 15030 with 2.95" blade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/15030) that looks interesting but has no coated model yet.

It's unfortunate that they had to discontinue the 806 (http://www.benchmade.com/products/806) as it was about perfect but now commands too high a price on the collector market.

ETA:

I also want a knife that goes in the pocket tip-up, not tip-down. Either the clip needs to be attached at the base of the grip or reversible.

Moose-Knuckle
04-17-10, 08:11
Only folder I carry these days (after carrying just about everything else) is a Kershaw Tanto Blur. http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=85&brand=kershaw

I like it because I hardly notice it's there. It is thin and light, the handle panels have Trac-Tec inserts (think deck tape) to aid in grip and retention. It's assisted opening mechanism is as smooth as a Swiss watch.

SeriousStudent
04-17-10, 08:47

The Spyderco Military are good to go,

I have a Millie with carbon fiber handles and BG-42 steel. Weighs nothing, and slices like a straight razor. It's wickedly fast.

I do have a spare in the safe, new in box...... ;)

I agree as well about the lessened utility of a thick blade. It's why I appreciate the full flat grind that Sal puts on a lot of the Spydercos.

And CPM-S30V steel seems to work really well. Retains an edge like D2, but with much greater rust and stain resistance. I like the "toothiness" of the edge, for lack of a better term. It will take a very fine edge, but grab into the material and cut, and not slide off.

Sal is coming out with a redesigned Paramilitary very soon, that may be of interest to both F2S and rob_s.

I have a BM 806D2 also. It is a great design as well, and a fine competitor to the Spyderco Military. But I agree with Rob, the price is stupid on them now.

Hehehe - maybe I should sell that one?

SeriousStudent
04-17-10, 08:49

BM also has a new knife, the "Bone Collector" in the 15020 model with 3.36" blade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/15020) and 15030 with 2.95" blade (http://www.benchmade.com/products/15030) that looks interesting but has no coated model yet.

Grant's a BM dealer. If he got 20-30 people in on a group buy, they might do a run of coated blades for him.

Just sayin..... ;)

I'm good for one.

lomp64
04-17-10, 17:56
Wow, thanks for all of the responses. Seems I have a lot of options; I like the way the SOG Trident looks and from a little google work can be found for like $70 or so. I think I may go that way.

rob_s
04-17-10, 19:09
Grant's a BM dealer. If he got 20-30 people in on a group buy, they might do a run of coated blades for him.

Just sayin..... ;)

I'm good for one.

There's a secondary problem with the knife, which is that the handles are thicker even than the Griptilian! I hate when a company uses a material that should be thin and then makes it thick.

SeriousStudent
04-17-10, 23:36
Indeed.

I think a great knife would be the Mini-Grip, with that same sheepsfoot blade, without the fecking serrations, and tan handles. They don't make it. :eek:

But a slim, sturdy AXIS knife always sells.

It would be very inconspicuous when wearing a pair of Dockers or other khaki pants. And lots of folks wear exactly that, but like to carry a knife.

ghost762
04-18-10, 02:15
I just got this Benchmade and like it.
http://www.rei.com/product/737699
http://media.rei.com/media/695519.jpg

padwan
04-18-10, 03:00
I'm a Spyderco fan so I'll try and get my two cents in. :)

You could get a pair of Delicas with that budget. New versions have full flat grinds which make for real sharp cutters. Delicas can be had for about $50 each. A bigger version of the Delica is the Endura and they sell for about $52-55.

If you're looking for something stouter, the new Gayle Bradely is a solidly built liner lock. Good heft. Feels really good in my hands. The M4 steel they used on the blade isn't stainless but it'll take pretty fine edges. It sells for about $120 in some internet knife shops.

In the $70 to $85 range, check out the Stretch and the Manix 2. The Stretch is lightweight but has a good feel in the hand. Blade shape is versatile and it cuts really well.

The Manix is built like a tank. Nice ergos. Good steel. They say the ball bearing lock is very strong, but I've not abused mine enough to test that claim. Like the Bradley, it is a bit heavy but I don't think you'd notice much if you're wearing jeans most of the time.

I own all the models I've recommended and I am sure there are many others worth considering from Spyderco as well as other makers.

Good luck on your search.

rob_s
04-18-10, 07:09
You could get a pair of Delicas with that budget. New versions have full flat grinds which make for real sharp cutters. Delicas can be had for about $50 each. A bigger version of the Delica is the Endura and they sell for about $52-55.
The other thing I like about both of these knives is that they can be had with the wave feature. Delica Wave (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=227) and Endura Wave (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=226).

If you're looking for something stouter, the new Gayle Bradely is a solidly built liner lock. Good heft. Feels really good in my hands. The M4 steel they used on the blade isn't stainless but it'll take pretty fine edges. It sells for about $120 with some internet knife shops.
Can that be had with something other than carbon fiber handles? It's a very nice looking knife ("nice looking" meaning it looks like a utilitarian design, not that it's pretty) but I wouldn't want carbon fiber.

In the $70 to $85 range, check out the Stretch and the Manix 2. The Stretch is lightweight but has a good feel in the hand. Blade shape is versatile and it cuts really well.

The Manix is built like a tank. Nice ergos. Good steel. They say the ball bearing lock is very strong, but I've not abused mine enough to test that claim. Like the Bradley, it is a bit heavy but I don't think you'd notice much if you're wearing jeans most of the time.

Now we're talkin'! (http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418). Their BB lock is an awful lot like the axis lock. The knife does appear to be a bit large, especially in the overall width dimension when closed (measuring from the back of the thumb traction to the outside edge of the thumb hole). Spyderco's website sucks even worse than BM's though. I wish you could sort by lock type on Spyderco like you can on BM.

Any good "knife wizard" or search feature on a knife website should have:
Blade Length
Blade Thickness
Blade Material
Blade Hardness
Blade Style
Weight
Clip/Carry
Lock Mechanism
Overall Length
Closed Length
Opening mechanism (stud, hole, auto, etc.)

BM has all of these except the last one. I find Spyderco's "country of origin" search to be silly when it comes to shopping for a tool.

SeriousStudent
04-18-10, 08:38
The Delica is hard to beat for the money. I have carried a waved Spyderco, and like the Emerson wave. Just a personal preference.

I have one of the original full-size Manix folders. "Built like a tank" is an apt description. Several times, I have grabbed a bundle of Cat-5 Ethernet cables, 12-14 in the bundle, and slice right through them with one pull.

The Gayle Bradley is a nice knife. M4 is a very good steel, it's edge retention is really nice.

padwan
04-18-10, 13:41
Can that be had with something other than carbon fiber handles? It's a very nice looking knife ("nice looking" meaning it looks like a utilitarian design, not that it's pretty) but I wouldn't want carbon fiber.

Rob, it looks like Carbon Fiber only for now. I too was initially put off by the CF scales until I got to see and hold the knife at the shop. It isn't a slippery CF and it gives really good grip. Not exactly like G10 but similar in a different sort of way, if that makes any sense at all. A real case of try before you buy.

I totally agree with your observations regarding the knife wizard on Spyderco's site.

Owned Emersons for a while and the Wave does come in handy sometimes. Be aware it doesn't really work when you're seated or down on the ground. It can also be hell on jeans if you practice a lot.

CAVDOC
04-20-10, 09:56
I am a big benchmade fan and with the exception of the red line, all are made in USA which is a big bonus. I tend to go small with blade length of 3 inches or so. I rotate about 10 or so benchmades in my daily carry and do have different knives based on am I going to work, the range or the woods or what am I wearing- everything from jeans to tuxedo.

deuce9166
04-20-10, 10:23
Benchmade fan here too. I prefer the ones with 154 CM or the older ATS-34 steel.
I have several Benchmades but my favorite is an old Emerson designed CQC 7. I have had it at least 10 years and it has really taken abuse well.

cevtv
04-20-10, 14:06
Emerson Mini A-100. Great little utility knife!

LockenLoad
04-20-10, 15:04
I have a first production Bone Collector on the way, 120.00 shipped so not a cheap knife, I will give a little review, our just answer what questions I can, not a good writer like Rob S so be gentle.

glocktogo
04-20-10, 22:33
I've owned many brands like Boker, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Gerber, Kershaw, S.O.G, Spyderco, etc. I'm a huge Benchmade fan and have several 1st production run folders. Hands down the best I've owned is the Benchmade 805 TSEK: http://www.benchmade.com/products/805

It's heavily patterned after the the critically acclaimed AFCK, with the AXIS lock and deeper belly to the blade being welcome additions. I'd prefer the original thumbhole design of the AFCK, but honestly I've never needed to use the thumbstuds. A flick of the wrist from just about any position will open the blade one handed without using the AXIS lock or thumbstud, but without the inadvertent blade deployment that I get with my 740 Dejavoo.

Here's a couple of pics of my matching 0311's. :)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/OKCentennialG-17a.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/OKCentennialG-17b.jpg

Honu
04-21-10, 11:36
Benchmade fan here too. I prefer the ones with 154 CM or the older ATS-34 steel.
I have several Benchmades but my favorite is an old Emerson designed CQC 7. I have had it at least 10 years and it has really taken abuse well.

have a old CQ7 also :) still going strong only thing I have to get a new clip for mine

dookie1481
04-22-10, 01:03
I have a Millie with carbon fiber handles and BG-42 steel. Weighs nothing, and slices like a straight razor. It's wickedly fast.

I do have a spare in the safe, new in box...... ;)

How much? :D

Jay

dookie1481
04-22-10, 01:05
Oh yeah, Hogue (the grip and stock company) has a new knife coming out that is designed by Allen Elishewitz, a former Recon Marine and renowned knife and watch maker. I absolutely cannot wait as they look to be spectacular knives.

The street price looks to be $120-150.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=667

Jay

dookie1481
04-22-10, 01:07
Rob, it looks like Carbon Fiber only for now. I too was initially put off by the CF scales until I got to see and hold the knife at the shop. It isn't a slippery CF and it gives really good grip. Not exactly like G10 but similar in a different sort of way, if that makes any sense at all. A real case of try before you buy.

I totally agree with your observations regarding the knife wizard on Spyderco's site.

Owned Emersons for a while and the Wave does come in handy sometimes. Be aware it doesn't really work when you're seated or down on the ground. It can also be hell on jeans if you practice a lot.

I had a GB and sold it. The first day I carried it, I stuck my hand in my pocket and got a CF sliver in my knuckles. I do not like the CF on that knife.

Jay

ColdDeadHands
04-22-10, 06:10
Look hard at the Benchmade line. I bought a 5.11 First responder about a year ago because it felt Rock Solid when I handled it in the store...it was built like a Tank. Once I carried it for 2 days I found rust on the Blade and it was just to big & heavy for EDC and I also didn't like the thumb hole. The store let me exchange it for something else so I picked a Benchmade Nitrous Striker and couldn't be happier with it. No Rust, the blade is still sharp after 1 year of everyday usage & the assisted opening is just as fast as my buddy's Auto.

subzero
04-22-10, 07:35
I'm partial to the Kershaw line. I've found great quality and price with them, though they aren't without fleas.

I've carried a Leek for a number of years, in a few different versions. I started with the cheaper composite handled ones and changed up for the all stainless version. I LOVED the assisted opening and the quality of the steel. It held a great edge. It's really thin and flat, so it disappears in a pocket. The downsides: they're a little small, the blade is a bit thin, and I only get about 18 months out of the spring assist before it snaps. The knife is still functional of course, but without the spring assist it's not nearly as cool. Kershaw will repair or replace them, I've never gotten around to it though. I just used it as an excuse to buy a new Leek.

I recently picked up a Kershaw Scamp with the plain edge. Dead nuts simple, no spring to break, the blade is a little bigger and thicker. Thanks to it's G10/Stainless setup, it disappears in a pocket almost as well as a Leek. I miss the assisted opening, but after a week or so with the thumb stud I was nearly as fast and reliable as the spring. The downside to this one: it's made in China.

SeriousStudent
04-22-10, 21:03
How much? :D

Jay

PM sent.

SeriousStudent
04-22-10, 21:05
Oh yeah, Hogue (the grip and stock company) has a new knife coming out that is designed by Allen Elishewitz, a former Recon Marine and renowned knife and watch maker. I absolutely cannot wait as they look to be spectacular knives.

The street price looks to be $120-150.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=667

Jay

That looks really interesting! Especially that 3.5" drop point folder.

I have always liked his work with Benchmade. The old Nimravus Cub is still one of my faves, and is one of my "go-to" fixed blades.

Rated21R
04-22-10, 21:29

I have always liked his work with Benchmade. The old Nimravus Cub is still one of my faves, and is one of my "go-to" fixed blades.

i have a nimravus cub too, used on my last trip to the sandbox.

SeriousStudent
04-22-10, 21:42
Yep, it's a really efficient size. Good blade geometry, and I like the old sheath as well. Just a good, handy blade.

And thank you for your service to our country.

LockenLoad
04-22-10, 21:47

yea I wish he had not shown me that, I bought a 4 inch drop tip:eek:, he made a gorgeous folder for Tad Gear only 16 of them, trouble with that knife is I would not want to use it, plus a grand was out of my budget http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=618

Rated21R
04-22-10, 22:37
Yep, it's a really efficient size. Good blade geometry, and I like the old sheath as well. Just a good, handy blade.

And thank you for your service to our country.

thanks. :D

Norinco
04-22-10, 23:00
I've owned many brands like Boker, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Gerber, Kershaw, S.O.G, Spyderco, etc. I'm a huge Benchmade fan and have several 1st production run folders. Hands down the best I've owned is the Benchmade 805 TSEK: http://www.benchmade.com/products/805

It's heavily patterned after the the critically acclaimed AFCK, with the AXIS lock and deeper belly to the blade being welcome additions. I'd prefer the original thumbhole design of the AFCK, but honestly I've never needed to use the thumbstuds. A flick of the wrist from just about any position will open the blade one handed without using the AXIS lock or thumbstud, but without the inadvertent blade deployment that I get with my 740 Dejavoo.

Here's a couple of pics of my matching 0311's. :)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/OKCentennialG-17a.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s157/Glocktogo/OKCentennialG-17b.jpg

AXIS locks are GREAT!! I just lost my SOG spec elite the other day. :(

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7590/sog14se.jpg

dookie1481
04-23-10, 00:13
yea I wish he had not shown me that, I bought a 4 inch drop tip:eek:, he made a gorgeous folder for Tad Gear only 16 of them, trouble with that knife is I would not want to use it, plus a grand was out of my budget http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=618

Yeah I would just about kill someone for one of those.

Jay

Sluggo
04-23-10, 00:36
I have tried, love, and own all the big names mentioned here (Spyderco, Bmade, Emerson, Etc.) they all offer excellent designs and you cant go wrong with any one of those brands (just models). I thought I'd throw a more unique suggestion out there to make your hunt a little more diverse :)

The Bradley Cutlery Alias II in Black/Black G10. A little more difficult to find but you should easily be able to find one new for between $150-$175.

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/BCC-17600BT-600-Bradley-G10-Alias.jpg

For your money you get:

Coated SV30 Flat grind with upper swedge but sufficient belly
G10/Titanium handle that is reasonably thin and sufficiently grippy. In a well executed package thats not riding in everyone else's pocket....if you care. Its a great "all around" knife if there is such a thing. If I have a gripe, its that I generally prefer a spydie hole to thumb stud, but much of that is personal preference.... and the blade deployment is very smooth non the less.

Irish
04-23-10, 00:48
I've been using the same AFCK for what seems like forever and it's been a fantastic knife. Lately I've been considering switching to a smaller "gentlemen's" knife. My days of thinking I'll be using a knife for anything more than opening mail, cutting rope or tape and cleaning my fingernails are gone.

I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and stopped into TAD and saw the William Henry spec ed. they had which was really cool looking but not worth $600 to me, that's a new pistol. http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=800

The other knife on my radar is the Benchmade Osborne 773 and it's "only" $200 as compared to the high end gentlemen's knives I've been looking at but still looks really nice. http://www.benchmade.com/products/773. Warren Osborne is the designer http://www.osborneknives.com/. Nevermind, this has been discontinued.

I really like the Chris Reeve Mnandi as well but $350 is pushing it. http://chrisreeve.com/mnandi.htm

Beachboy
04-23-10, 17:58
I have several Emerson's, Benchmade's and Syderco's, etc. I had started looking for something less expensive that would give good service, but be under $50.00 for a daily carry working blade.
I recently been carrying an Ontario folding RAT Model 1, black partially serrated blade.
So far, pleased with how edge is holding and also the black coating.

LockenLoad
04-23-10, 19:56
I've been using the same AFCK for what seems like forever and it's been a fantastic knife. Lately I've been considering switching to a smaller "gentlemen's" knife. My days of thinking I'll be using a knife for anything more than opening mail, cutting rope or tape and cleaning my fingernails are gone.

I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago and stopped into TAD and saw the William Henry spec ed. they had which was really cool looking but not worth $600 to me, that's a new pistol. http://www.tadgear.com/shop.php?id=800

The other knife on my radar is the Benchmade Osborne 773 and it's "only" $200 as compared to the high end gentle men's knives I've been looking at but still looks really nice. http://www.benchmade.com/products/773. Warren Osborne is the designer http://www.osborneknives.com/. Nevermind, this has been discontinued.

I really like the Chris Reeve Mnandi as well but $350 is pushing it. http://chrisreeve.com/mnandi.htm

that William Henry is very nice and one of 50, great gentleman look to it, Tad Gear always has great custom knives, they are expensive, but they get have some great knives.

Sluggo
04-24-10, 13:09
I have several Emerson's, Benchmade's and Syderco's, etc. I had started looking for something less expensive that would give good service, but be under $50.00 for a daily carry working blade.
I recently been carrying an Ontario folding RAT Model 1, black partially serrated blade.
So far, pleased with how edge is holding and also the black coating.

Have you looked at the Buck Vantage Pro. SV30 and scales for around 50 bucks!!! Hell of a deal.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/S0VJuUVsloI/AAAAAAAAM8s/7eKaN27UerY/s800/IMG_4250.JPG

Irish
04-26-10, 11:49
The other knife on my radar is the Benchmade Osborne 773 and it's "only" $200 as compared to the high end gentlemen's knives I've been looking at but still looks really nice. http://www.benchmade.com/products/773. Warren Osborne is the designer http://www.osborneknives.com/. Nevermind, this has been discontinued.
Went knife shopping this weekend at the only knife store I could find in Vegas, Bond's House of Cutlery on Sahara, and they had the 773. After checking it out I will not be buying one. It's a little too small for my big ol' orangutan hands, although a very nicely built knife.
I instead decided I'd like to get a 943 http://www.benchmade.com/products/943 which will be perfect for my needs. High quality, smooth action and I like having the Axis lock. I would've purchased it from Bond's this weekend if it weren't for the fact that the wingnut dipshit, white trash, butterfly knife spinning retard behind the counter had the least amount of customer service skills I've ever witnessed. Everyday I'm convinced that internet sales are the way to fly now a days.

LockenLoad
04-26-10, 15:05
Have you looked at the Buck Vantage Pro. SV30 and scales for around 50 bucks!!! Hell of a deal.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UIvftVa71aQ/S0VJuUVsloI/AAAAAAAAM8s/7eKaN27UerY/s800/IMG_4250.JPG

thats a lot of knife for 50 bucks

LockenLoad
04-30-10, 19:07

this is a great gentleman's knife, I have one and highly recommend it, opens hard locks solid nice knife, very happy with it, sometimes when you go out to dinner, the Strider SNG does not go well with some attire lol.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Lerch-Impel--4801

jwlister
04-30-10, 20:38
I've already seen them mentioned but my recommendation would be to get either a Spyderco Waved Endura or Waved Delica depending on what blade length you want and save the rest of your money.

Both of these blades should provide adequate strength and cutting capability for most of the cutting tasks you should come across. They have decent blade steel with VG10, holding a decent edge. I feel their FRN handles provide a wonderful grip. They are relatively slim, trim and flat which provides an excellent ride/comfort while in your pocket.

The waved versions really put them in a different realm imo as the knife will open up as you pull it from your pocket. They're pretty light as well.

Best all around general use folder that I have come across.

Irish
04-30-10, 21:04
this is a great gentleman's knife, I have one and highly recommend it, opens hard locks solid nice knife, very happy with it, sometimes when you go out to dinner, the Strider SNG does not go well with some attire lol.

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Lerch-Impel--4801

Thanks for the heads up LL, nice looking knife. Just ordered the 943 but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I want to recommend people check out XXXXXX for their next knife purchase. I just bought the Benchmade 943 from them for only $132 as compared to the local wingnut pricing of $210 and the closest I could get to the bestknives price online was roughtly $170. The usual disclaimer of not being affiliated or anything of that nature, just trying to pass on some good prices to fellow M4C'ers.

LockenLoad
04-30-10, 22:30
Thanks for the heads up LL, nice looking knife. Just ordered the 943 but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

I want to recommend people check out http://bestknives.stores.yahoo.net/ for their next knife purchase. I just bought the Benchmade 943 from them for only $132 as compared to the local wingnut pricing of $210 and the closest I could get to the bestknives price online was roughtly $170. The usual disclaimer of not being affiliated or anything of that nature, just trying to pass on some good prices to fellow M4C'ers.

they have a black bladed version as just an FYI, This benchmade will be here in the morning with my name engraved, less then 130.00 shipped name engraved. When you apply his codes you usually get a hefty discount, my MPR was 149.00

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeshokicontouredg10andstabilizedwinewoodhandle.aspx not affiliated in any way

Irish
05-03-10, 15:04

I want to recommend people check out http://bestknives.stores.yahoo.net/ for their next knife purchase. I just bought the Benchmade 943 from them for only $132 as compared to the local wingnut pricing of $210 and the closest I could get to the bestknives price online was roughtly $170. The usual disclaimer of not being affiliated or anything of that nature, just trying to pass on some good prices to fellow M4C'ers.

I'll retract my recommendation and edit my original post. After placing my order on Friday I received an email today stating my order had been cancelled. The reason stated was "no longer available" on the website link so I decided to call them as the knife was still listed on their site. I attempted to call them multiple times on the 2 phone numbers listed to no avail. I also emailed them and got a recipient failed delivery error message.
This is unsat in my eyes and I will avoid recommending them from this point forward.

LockenLoad
05-03-10, 16:05
try knife works they have never given me a problem

LockenLoad
05-03-10, 16:26
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeopportunistwoodinlayhandleplain.aspx

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeshokicontouredg10andstabilizedwinewoodhandle.aspx

I have the second one 137.00 shipped add your code with my name engraved all of 5 business days sv30 steel on both knives take your choice, clip carry our leather sheath mine just came and has good FF, and very sharp

Irish
05-03-10, 16:30
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeopportunistwoodinlayhandleplain.aspx

http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmadeshokicontouredg10andstabilizedwinewoodhandle.aspx

I have the second one 137.00 shipped add your code with my name engraved all of 5 business days sv30 steel on both knives take your choice, clip carry our leather sheath mine just came and has good FF, and very sharp

Thanks LL. Just found the code and it's $127.50 before shipping for the 943.

LockenLoad
05-03-10, 16:37
sweet little knife, I collect knives I know some don't understand, that knife is almost on par with a William Henry. I know because I have 4, so I think you will really like it if you got the same one, the button lock is a good one as well. oh the 943 is what you want very good looking stabber

Irish
05-04-10, 14:37
www.knifeworks.com is the way to fly, best price I could find after lots of looking and using their discount code BR549. I placed my online order for the 943 with the BK1 coating, and some Surefire EP4s, and received a shipped notice in less than 1 1/2 hours. http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade943bkosborneaxislockmcpwithbk1coatingplainedge.aspx

Thanks again for the help LL.

LockenLoad
05-04-10, 16:04
www.knifeworks.com is the way to fly, best price I could find after lots of looking and using their discount code BR549. I placed my online order for the 943 with the BK1 coating, and some Surefire EP4s, and received a shipped notice in less than 1 1/2 hours. http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade943bkosborneaxislockmcpwithbk1coatingplainedge.aspx

Thanks again for the help LL.

he is real cool to talk to the owner he has a real Louisiana accent good people, you will get your order quick to, and you are most welcome glad you got a good deal.

Rated21R
05-04-10, 17:52
anyone checked out the spyderco para-military or manix 2?

cevtv
05-04-10, 20:04
he is real cool to talk to the owner he has a real Louisiana accent good people, you will get your order quick to, and you are most welcome glad you got a good deal.

Another +1 for Roger at Knifeworks! A pleasure to deal with.

Irish
05-06-10, 18:07
Did a review here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=647658#post647658 Hope it helps.

boganz45
06-03-10, 03:27
I have tried, love, and own all the big names mentioned here (Spyderco, Bmade, Emerson, Etc.) they all offer excellent designs and you cant go wrong with any one of those brands (just models). I thought I'd throw a more unique suggestion out there to make your hunt a little more diverse :)

The Bradley Cutlery Alias II in Black/Black G10. A little more difficult to find but you should easily be able to find one new for between $150-$175.

http://www.soonerstateknives.com/BCC-17600BT-600-Bradley-G10-Alias.jpg

For your money you get:

Coated SV30 Flat grind with upper swedge but sufficient belly
G10/Titanium handle that is reasonably thin and sufficiently grippy. In a well executed package thats not riding in everyone else's pocket....if you care. Its a great "all around" knife if there is such a thing. If I have a gripe, its that I generally prefer a spydie hole to thumb stud, but much of that is personal preference.... and the blade deployment is very smooth non the less.

Finally found on of these new (been looking for months). Benchmade made these for Bradley and I wish they themselves would offer this knife (or a similar knife in this configuration). Having owned many folders I now only prefer framelocks with grip.

Dave G
06-03-10, 05:17
I'm by no means a knife expert. I am a lefty and tend to only flock to knives that are fully or mostly ambi. My favorite carry right now is my Zero Tolerance 0350. Very beefy, has excellent jimping, and the weight really is of no concern to me. I also really like my Spyderco Tenacious as a razor sharp beater knife. I did the ghetto "wave" mod which is putting a zip tie through the hole.

Vic303
06-03-10, 09:24
We used to have a ZT350...but I didn't care for it much in stock configuration. Took up too much pocket real estate, and the speedsafe response was sluggish at best, even when brand new. If we'd have kept it, I wanted to send it out to Krein for a significant regrind, to lighten the blade and reshape it to a different profile.

dancinzen@hotmail.com
06-08-10, 19:28
i only do benchmade for my everyday knife as i can send it in for the rest of my life and they will make it new again for free! its worth the extra money. and i would say go with one of the mchenry and williams!

Snipe315
02-17-12, 19:18
I'm by no means a knife expert. I am a lefty and tend to only flock to knives that are fully or mostly ambi. My favorite carry right now is my Zero Tolerance 0350. Very beefy, has excellent jimping, and the weight really is of no concern to me.

+1 for the Zero Tolerance 350. I've got the ZT350ST with the partly serrated blade and love it as my primary EDC.

I've also got a Kershaw Turbulance and Black Blur that got a lot of use.

luvmy40
02-17-12, 20:33
I am a big benchmade fan and with the exception of the red line, all are made in USA which is a big bonus. I tend to go small with blade length of 3 inches or so. I rotate about 10 or so benchmades in my daily carry and do have different knives based on am I going to work, the range or the woods or what am I wearing- everything from jeans to tuxedo.

I am also a Benchmade fanboi. I was extremely disappointed when i picked up one of their Harley Davidson line blades and found "Made in China" on the blade.

The Rift, Presidio or Barrage are all great EDC blades with many options.