PDA

View Full Version : M&P rust issue - updates?

jmoore
04-16-10, 22:36
It seems that following the release of the M&Ps, there was a lot of chatter about the slides and some other parts rusting. As I look back at postings from several sources, all sorts of ideas were offered - from reactions to leather holsters, to neglect, to bad treatments of the metal, to yada, to yada, to yada. Whether it was operator neglect or a true issue may never be known. However, it seems that this issue has, for the most part, left the building.

For those of you who carry on a regular basis... first, I'm envious, as I live in IL, .... second, have you noticed any real issues with rust on the current run of pistols?

Any & all feedback greatly appreciated.

jm

skyugo
04-16-10, 23:44
i think the newer ones are good to go.
there was a bad batch of metal treatment earlier on.

MichaelD
04-17-10, 00:07
I haven't read about any rust issues with guns made since early '07. The issue appears to be resolved.

arbninftry
04-17-10, 00:10
I live in a dryer climate, El Paso, TX, and have no issues. Carried a M&P 45C for bout 5 months daily and like all my carry pistols, a little care goes a long ways. So far no real issues on the finish.

kaltblitz
04-17-10, 03:37
The rust issues were on a certain batch of slides. The problem was fixed long ago so no worries if you buy a newer gun. If you do have a rusty slide call S&W and they will happily replace your slide free of charge (and fast) with the shipping on their dime.

Magsz
04-17-10, 07:26
Anything made of steel will rust at least to a certain degree depending on care.

My 08 production full size has pin head rust and pitting all over the slide that i cannot remove. It does not affect function.

My 09 production compact and my newest M&P will develop surface rust after 8 hours of daily carry in the humid swamps of Florida but to date the rust wipes right off and has not pitted the metal.

I have another M&P inbound that should be from an even newer production run of pistols so i will report back when i get that. Its a pro model so it probably wont be carried but i will intentionally put her up "wet" to see how the pistol handles itself.

I dont think its an issue but i do wish these pistols were as rust resistant as Glocks.

CaptainDooley
04-17-10, 08:22
My warren sights keep cropping up with surface rust. I also occasionally get a little in the slide serrations. All of it rubs off with some 0000 steel wool pretty easily. I live in DFW and carry for 16-18 hours a day typically.

skyugo
04-17-10, 11:06
Anything made of steel will rust at least to a certain degree depending on care.

My 08 production full size has pin head rust and pitting all over the slide that i cannot remove. It does not affect function.

My 09 production compact and my newest M&P will develop surface rust after 8 hours of daily carry in the humid swamps of Florida but to date the rust wipes right off and has not pitted the metal.

I have another M&P inbound that should be from an even newer production run of pistols so i will report back when i get that. Its a pro model so it probably wont be carried but i will intentionally put her up "wet" to see how the pistol handles itself.

I dont think its an issue but i do wish these pistols were as rust resistant as Glocks.

that's a bit disappointing.. i've had my glocks literally covered with sweat, and never seen a spec of rust.