PDA

View Full Version : LMT 10.5 upper experience?

Shihan
05-02-07, 21:01
I know a few of you have one of these, how reliable has it proven? Its this or the POF 9.25 upper, but the LMT may not be a piston but it is much cheaper.

Thanks

CarlosDJackal
05-02-07, 21:33
I have a 10.5" LMT upper on my SBR. The lower is an RRA receiver I assembled with various parts. At just over 1,000 rounds, I have not had a single problem (outside of the time I installed a ARES G35 piston kit - which I have since removed and sold off). fwiw.

Shihan
05-04-07, 02:07
I hear alot of reliability issues on the smaller barreled carbines. Im sure the LMT's work great as they are issued to some of the teams. Has anyone had a bad experience?

gunny
05-04-07, 05:07
LMT's are good to go. I don't own one (yet), but have shot one that a buddy from work owns. I do have a CMMG 10.3 & a mutt 11.5 & 10.5-all of which operate fine. Much of what you hear about reliability issues with SBR's is due to the gun not being tuned properly. The shorter gas system & fickle & has to be set up just right. I wouldn't recommend building your own unless you absolutely know what you're doing. It's sort of trial & error getting the right buffer weight(s), bolt & ammo config in my experience & that of others (thanks be to this board).

We're only allowed to shoot Federal 55 grains & that seems to be perfect for my needs. I run an H2 buffer with BCM extractor upgrade. I have a teammate who runs a H3 on his personal 11.5 with a can as well as the dept. purchased 11.5's. One guy doesn't have any upgrades in his & it runs ok. If you're buying a complete upper from, one of the reputable companies, then they will advise how they recommend you tune your rig for their particular product. If it doesn't work when you get it to the range then you will have to start the trial & error process on your own or with the help of the fine gents that frequent this board. Good luck.

sencless
05-04-07, 08:29
I have a complete LMT 10.5" and not one single problem... I am more than satisfied with mine :D

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4557.jpg

http://www.davidagusti.com/nfa/IMG_4559.jpg

TimP
05-04-07, 11:27
My LMT had a problem with the bolt. It was really dragging on the top round in the mag. Sent to LMT, it was a lil out of spec, they replaced it, and she has been 2000 rds without a problem.

ashooter
05-04-07, 14:48
I had one that wouldn't cycle anything but M855 - No NATO pressure 75gr TAP, no Mk262, no M193, and NO SAAMI-spec .223. Grant said he thought maybe LMT had drilled the gas port to M4 spec... Not sure whether LMT bought it back from Grant or not, but Grant took care of me.

In all fairness though, the few other people I've known who've had LMT 10.5's were very happy with them. You don't hear very much griping about LMT's stuff compared to many other AR makers.

Shihan
05-05-07, 00:32
Im a LMT dealer and have a new 14.5 with pinned vortex and a 16incher I have been shooting quite abit and they work great. I have been slobering on the pics of the 10.5 and want one more now. I was debating the 9.25 from POF but the LMT is less than half the price. I guess if the teams are happy with it, it should serve me well.

Thanks

Rogueplayer
05-05-07, 07:10
Have another positive response as well.

Purchased one from Grant.

Zero problems and it shoots M855, XM193 , TAP and various surplus as well.

Around 2k rounds through it currently.

VA_Dinger
05-05-07, 07:57
I've owned two LMT 10.5's and both ran perfectly for what I used them for. Keep them lubed up and they will run like a raped ape.

Nathan_Bell
05-05-07, 08:36
Ran an LMT 10.5" on my M-16 and it would eat everything thrown at it. WWB through Hrnady Tap practice.

EOD
05-08-07, 16:52
I took a 10.5 LMT to a patrol rifle class lately, and had a lot of double feeds. Changed ammo, new mags, still double fed. I'm still thinking it is something other than the LMT upper. I'm going to change to an H2 buffer, and try the "O ring" trick on the extractor before getting too concerned. The quality seems very good...I'm confident that it'll work out fine. My Colt 11.5 even had some double feeds after it got really hot and dirty. Nothing like a lot of rounds down range in a short amount of time to test 'em. Both functioned just fine on casual range trips prior to that.