PDA

View Full Version : FSB or flip up?

Hillbilly
04-17-10, 08:41
What is the general consensus here. i have always had the fsb, no problems with rds, seems it would be quicker in the event of an optic failure drill. is there really any downside to fsb? just don't have much experience with front flip, tell me if i am missing something or is it just preference and cosmetics? thanks for the help

ForTehNguyen
04-17-10, 08:45
some people want the sight picture to be completely free of the FSB and go for flip fronts. Its mostly preference

Southern_Partisan
04-17-10, 08:56
My impressions are that the fixed FSB probably is preferred among most shooters here because it is pinned in place and therefore more durable than a flip-up sight which is attached to the rail. As you mentioned, it is quicker to get into action because you don't have to take the time to manually flip anything and you could always use your RDS as a ghost ring in conjunction with your FSB in the event of a failure. The advantage of a quality flip-up like the Troy or Magpul folding sights is that you can mount them further out should you have a longer rail on your rifle and therefore have a longer sighting radius which would enhance accuracy.

ForTehNguyen
04-17-10, 09:40
with a 12" rail with an MBUS front all the way up its about the same sight radius as a FSB middy.

Hillbilly
04-17-10, 16:46
fsb will not interfere with maginified optics? it will just ghost away-correct?

ForTehNguyen
04-17-10, 16:54
when i had a 3-9x on my AR I did not see the FSB

8200rpm
04-17-10, 16:57
fsb will not interfere with maginified optics? it will just ghost away-correct?

I had a 3X ACOG and my Troy front sight was visible when flipped up. It was just a fuzzy/hazy ghost, but still noticeable.

The FSB will ghost away more effectively at higher magnifications. But, higher magnification scopes are typically used for precision rigs. Precision rigs are normally running rails, so you might as well use folding sights.

FSB's are best on guns using non-magnified RDS. IMHO, fold down front sights (and even free-float rails) are superfluous on close contact type guns running non-magnified RDS, and more a matter of personal preference.

JimT
04-17-10, 18:22
What is the general consensus here. i have always had the fsb, no problems with rds, seems it would be quicker in the event of an optic failure drill. is there really any downside to fsb? just don't have much experience with front flip, tell me if i am missing something or is it just preference and cosmetics? thanks for the help

I'm a little behind the times and prefer the standard FSB as opposed to flip-ups due to only having to deploy the rear BUIS. When running my Aimpoints I can use them as a big ghost ring if the batteries go dead, forget to turn on the optic or for whatever reason. On the other hand, I dig the look of the long railed uppers with Troy or MBUS units.

Belmont31R
04-17-10, 19:08
I prefer 10" or longer rails because I shoot with my left hand fairly forward on the rail. With a light attached at 9 oclock 10" is about the minimum I would need to accomplish this.

I dont think the one in a million chance of the optic going out is worth sticking to a standard FSB, and for myself having a longer rail works better for me 99.9999% of the time so thats what I go with.

I especially loathe carbines with a FSB because there is no way for me to setup the gun. My hand would go where the FSB is.

MJN99999
04-17-10, 20:00
fsb will not interfere with magnified optics? it will just ghost away-correct?

As posted earlier, it will not be visible, but you will lose some image quality in the field-of-view that is being blocked by the FSB.

Whether it is a little or a lot depends on many factors such as ambient light conditions, overall quality of the 'scope, magnification, objective size, etc...but there is definite degradation in what is probably the most critical part of the field of view.

Enough of a problem to really matter? Only you know that answer for you...

MIkeN

Magic_Salad0892
04-17-10, 20:26
I normally run BUIS.

But I still dig FSBs. Only on 10.5'' or 20'' though. It's just not right on anything else for me.

Hillbilly
04-18-10, 21:45
how about on a 1-4 type optic?

Hillbilly
04-21-10, 11:46

?????????

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-21-10, 11:49
I prefer the FSB. That keeps one thing from being a problem. I am not that keen on having to trust locktite or levers for the most important aiming tool on the weapon.

Tomahawk_Ghost
04-21-10, 15:46

http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15/

Notice the top optic. I run mine that way and don't really notice the FSB when I'm shooting.

http://demigodllc.com/photo/AR-Optics-Jeff/?small=DSC02228.jpg

thopkins22
04-21-10, 18:46
I especially loathe carbines with a FSB because there is no way for me to setup the gun. My hand would go where the FSB is.

The Omega X fixes it.

RWK
04-22-10, 14:05
I use a Daniel Defense fixed front sight. If the dot goes out, I only want to have to flip up one sight, not two.

I dont think the one in a million chance of the optic going out is worth sticking to a standard FSB

1 in 1,000,000, eh? Then why have backup sights at all?

Surf
04-22-10, 18:27
On a working carbine I prefer a fixed. On my SPR's I will go with a flip up. Just my preferences. :)

MistWolf
04-22-10, 18:32
With a 6x24 on my 20" rifle, the front sight was fuzzy but there. It was annoying and increased eye fatigue. For me it made making a precise shot much more difficult. By precise, I mean picking a small aiming spot on a prairie dog or on the head of a jackrabbit. I haven't tried optics on a carbine yet. When I do, I'm wanting to try a low power ACOG