PDA

View Full Version : My first build

Buman
04-17-10, 10:04
Finished a couple of weeks ago. Its a plumbcrazy firearms. I've put about 100 rounds through it already and it shoots very well. Has a very basic sight on it, I plan on upgrading there and putting on a new buttstock to be more left hand friendly. Not sure exactly what type of sight I'm going to put on yet, time and money will dictate that one:p

Let me know how it looks and if anyone else has experience with plumbcrazy l'd like to hear from them. So far it has been good so I look forward to more good times on the range.

120mm
04-17-10, 11:46
Finished a couple of weeks ago. Its a plumbcrazy firearms. I've put about 100 rounds through it already and it shoots very well. Has a very basic sight on it, I plan on upgrading there and putting on a new buttstock to be more left hand friendly. Not sure exactly what type of sight I'm going to put on yet, time and money will dictate that one:p

Let me know how it looks and if anyone else has experience with plumbcrazy l'd like to hear from them. So far it has been good so I look forward to more good times on the range.

Hello??? ARFCOM??? Is that you????

bkb0000
04-17-10, 12:34
ahh yes.. i remember the pumbcrazy thread here about a year or so ago. the owner seemed a little on the unstable side, and then i never heard about them again.

what's the receiver appear to be made of? as i recall, we never could get that info from him.

Buman
04-17-10, 13:01
It is made of a polymer plastic similar to a glock. I had some problems in the initial build and replaced some of the plastic retaining pins with metal ones. However during the limited rounds I've been able to put downrange it has done very well. So far no problems with jamming, everything seems to work fine. I was actually wondering if anyone had put high volume of rounds downrange and how it performed then. As you can see from the pic I am using magpul PMags, love those ever since Iraq.

Later I want to change out the pistol grip, its a little small for my hands. And the buttstock like I said to fit a better left-handed sling. I had one on my duty weapon from LaRue tactical that worked very well but of course like a dummy I left it in Hawaii when I PCS'ed so now I gotta go buy another one. Oh well lesson learned.

bkb0000
04-17-10, 13:14
i dont think anybody around here has posted anything- so you'll be our test subject for the plumb crazy receiver.

you said you replaced some plastic pins? did you buy it as a complete lower?

Buman
04-17-10, 22:25
Yeah bought it stripped with all part and built it myself. Broke the pin that hold the safety selector lever. It was plastic and I didn't cut the spring to fit so I forced it and the plastic pin broke in half. Bought a replacement kit for all the little pins and springs so far that is the only one that is replaced by a metal pin.

So far so good with the rest of the receiver though. Very lightweight and the action is really smooth. I cant wiat to get some serious range time with it though and see how it does.

99HMC4
04-17-10, 22:53
Just wondering why you went with a plastic lower? Cost? Im even a bit worried how the plastic lower on my SCAR will hold up over time and its got metal inserts....

120mm
04-17-10, 22:58
What's the upper?

I'm really interested in how/when you break things on it, and how it holds up.

Buman
04-18-10, 19:06
The reason I went with the plastic lower is both cost and curiosity, though I know what curiosity can do. Plumbcrazy is located close to where I live and I thought I would give it a shot.

As far as the upper I am not sure what manufacture it is but its a basic standard upper receiver. When I bought the kit I had already decided to change the upper to a shorter barrel not because its a bad upper but just personal preference.

Hopefully in the next month I can put it through some serious tests and see how it holds up. I put about 75 rounds through it this weekend and it seemed to do fine until the end I noticed one on the pins near the middle of the lower begin to come out. Not sure it that is operator error putting it together or what. However I was far from home and like normal had no tools to work on it with so I called it a day. Up until that point it was working like a champ. Even the wife was having some fun.

bkb0000
04-18-10, 19:14
Yeah bought it stripped with all part and built it myself. Broke the pin that hold the safety selector lever. It was plastic and I didn't cut the spring to fit so I forced it and the plastic pin broke in half. Bought a replacement kit for all the little pins and springs so far that is the only one that is replaced by a metal pin.

So far so good with the rest of the receiver though. Very lightweight and the action is really smooth. I cant wiat to get some serious range time with it though and see how it does.

i'm a little confused... what pins were plastic? you said you assembled the lower with a standard lower parts kit... broke a plastic pin somewhere, and then replaced the plastic pin with steel?

standard forged lowers dont have any pins other than what comes in the lower parts kit- so i'm trying to figure out what plastic pin you could have broken. happen to take pictures or anything? mind take a picture of the inside of the lower now?

very curious about all this. and congrats on the new build.

Buman
04-18-10, 19:46
Sorry for confusion. I am not well versed on all the names of the different pins and springs and stuff though I have used an M4 for the past 7 years.

When I bought the lower the parts kit that came from Plumbcrazy were all plastic. The plastic pin that stops the safety lever is the one that broke. I bought replacements pins that were metal and replaced that pin. However all other retaining pins are the original ones that came with the Plumbcrazy lower kit. Hope that clears it up a little bit.

I will get some pics up in a little while to should you how it looks. Thanks for feedback.

bkb0000
04-18-10, 20:00
wholly shit... plastic LPK? i've gotta see this...

damn website is "down for maintenance."

Kilo 1-1
04-18-10, 20:28
Just an observation, but it doesn't seem like the top portion of your RAS is installed properly. Make sure you have the retention 'legs' held by a screw on top of rail and have them under the barrel nut.

wholly shit... plastic LPK? i've gotta see this...

damn website is "down for maintenance."

Yea, they've been using plastic LPKs...which is strange to me.

Buman
04-18-10, 21:09
Here is a pic of the guts and where that pin was coming out of while shooting today.

Also thanks for feedback on rail system. I can't seem to get it to seat right on the top rail mount but the bottom fits well. Not sure what I am doing wrong but thats the fun of a first build I guess :D

99HMC4
04-18-10, 21:30
:eek:
No thanks....

Kilo 1-1
04-18-10, 21:34
Here is a pic of the guts and where that pin was coming out of while shooting today.

Also thanks for feedback on rail system. I can't seem to get it to seat right on the top rail mount but the bottom fits well. Not sure what I am doing wrong but thats the fun of a first build I guess :D

Here's the instructions. Make sure the 'legs' of the clamp are below the barrel nut.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/kac_ras_inst.pdf

120mm
04-19-10, 04:59
It's not very often you get to see new things tested on someone elses' dime.

Buman, could you keep track of how many rounds go through this? If nothing else, I am curious as to how long it survives, plastic LPK and all.

For $125 for the entire assembled lower, I am intrigued.

Buman
04-19-10, 09:22
I will definately keep you posted. Going to try and put a few more rounds through today after work. See how those pins seat now that I have them put back into place.

Buman
04-19-10, 09:23
Here's the instructions. Make sure the 'legs' of the clamp are below the barrel nut.
http://www.quarterbore.com/library/pdf_files/kac_ras_inst.pdf

Thanks for instructions I got it to seat in there properly now. It was too easy can't believe I had it messed up before. Oh well lesson learned!

JonnyVain
04-19-10, 10:47
Hello??? ARFCOM??? Is that you????

:rolleyes:

No one at TOS likes Plumcrazy. Well, maybe one guy. But now we have ours.

OP, let us know how it works. Don't use it for your home defense gun, though.

ForTehNguyen
04-19-10, 14:00
is your hammer spring in correctly, the legs of the hammer spring need to be under not over the pin. The 3rd pic looks like its over.

Buman
04-19-10, 22:32
:rolleyes:

No one at TOS likes Plumcrazy. Well, maybe one guy. But now we have ours.

OP, let us know how it works. Don't use it for your home defense gun, though.

Just wondering why not use it for home defense. So far the majority of problems I have encountered has been builder error nor gun error. For being my first build I figured I would have a lot of little problems.

As for Plumbcrazy when I talked to the owners at a show here in Phoenix they seemed pretty nice, they answered all my questions and were easy to deal with.

Buman
04-19-10, 22:33
is your hammer spring in correctly, the legs of the hammer spring need to be under not over the pin. The 3rd pic looks like its over.

Fixed that tonight just need to get out and put some rounds through see how it works. Man all these little things are killing me!

99HMC4
04-19-10, 23:25
For $125 for the entire assembled lower, I am intrigued.

Why?:confused:

ForTehNguyen
04-20-10, 08:14
good work fixing the hammer spring, sometimes it can lead to unreliable primer strikes. I am curious to see how a polymer LPK holds up. I personally would use a standard one for proven reliability especially on a HD build. Just a thought.

Cavalry Arms MkII lowers are nice for lightweight polymer builds also.

Buman
04-20-10, 22:03
Put about 45 rounds through today and all seemed to go well. I personally don't see why people are so down on the Plumbcrazy line of weapons. Like I've said earlier all the problems have been builder error so far. Thanks again to all the help though, its been fun working through the problems.

120mm
04-20-10, 23:00
Put about 45 rounds through today and all seemed to go well. I personally don't see why people are so down on the Plumbcrazy line of weapons. Like I've said earlier all the problems have been builder error so far. Thanks again to all the help though, its been fun working through the problems.

To put it gently, the primary mission of this website is the propagation of information to ensure the purchase, construction and use of durable AR type carbines. To people that use them, "durable" means 10s of thousands of rounds.

So far, you've proven that this lower will not result in an instant catastrophic failure and will actually function. Also, so far, you haven't fired enough rounds through it to determine durability.

In fact, some people on this board put 1000 rounds down range in a day. You and others simply haven't put enough rounds through it, and subjected it to bad enough conditions to prove durability. I suspect it won't hold up to real use, but you need to subject it to real use to determine that.

ForTehNguyen
04-21-10, 08:20
personally I would use a standard LPK as they have been shown to last for 10,000s rounds easily

Buman
04-21-10, 11:06
To put it gently, the primary mission of this website is the propagation of information to ensure the purchase, construction and use of durable AR type carbines. To people that use them, "durable" means 10s of thousands of rounds.

So far, you've proven that this lower will not result in an instant catastrophic failure and will actually function. Also, so far, you haven't fired enough rounds through it to determine durability.

In fact, some people on this board put 1000 rounds down range in a day. You and others simply haven't put enough rounds through it, and subjected it to bad enough conditions to prove durability. I suspect it won't hold up to real use, but you need to subject it to real use to determine that.

Yeah I realize that. Having served with the infantry in Iraq twice I know the type of tests that need to be done to make sure a weapon or piece of gear is good enough for combat.

Right now time and money are my biggest limitation. If I had plenty of both this would not have been the rifle I chose. However I haven't seen anyone put this rifle through the testing you are talking about to know whether it will hold up or not.

That being said I do greatly appreciate the feedback that I have gotten on this fourm and hopefully one day in the near future I am allowed to put this weapon through some pretty hard running on the range with a min. or 500-1000 rounds.

bkb0000
04-21-10, 13:23
any chance you're from or near NW oregon?

Buman
04-23-10, 14:12
Nope I'm down in Az

bkb0000
04-23-10, 14:41
i suggest getting with your local regional training group and getting some rounds down range. i don't know how the AZ group is doing as far as getting together, but our group gets out fairly often and expends a several hundred rounds per shooter in a quality training environment.

better than just loading up and blasting away aimlessly, but i have no idea what your current regimen/background is like.

Buman
04-23-10, 15:26
Thanks for advice I will try. The biggest problem I have right now is finding the time to go and shoot and the money for the rounds.

Buman
04-25-10, 04:52
Went out and shot today about 150 rounds. I kept having misfires I noticed that the primer was struck but the round did not fire at all. It happened about 10-15 times. Later I took all those rounds and put them back through and about every other one would fire. I have never had anything like this happen. I have also never had so many misfires so I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this or was it maybe just bad ammo. Or maybe something I did wrong putting the rifle together.

120mm
04-25-10, 04:55
I wonder if the plastic hammer on the wobbly plastic pin might have something to do about it

Maybe a metal hammer on a metal pin?

I'm just guessing here

Are the primers well dented? or just sort of?

Buman
04-25-10, 10:31
I wonder if the plastic hammer on the wobbly plastic pin might have something to do about it

Maybe a metal hammer on a metal pin?

I'm just guessing here

Are the primers well dented? or just sort of?

Well the firing pin is metal so I don't think that is the problem, however when I checked the primers of the misfired rounds agaist the primers of the rounds that fired they seemed to be about the same. I just found it weird that when I put them back through some of those misfired rounds fired then. It seems to me I am not getting consistant pin strikes.

bkb0000
04-25-10, 10:41
Well the firing pin is metal so I don't think that is the problem, however when I checked the primers of the misfired rounds agaist the primers of the rounds that fired they seemed to be about the same. I just found it weird that when I put them back through some of those misfired rounds fired then. It seems to me I am not getting consistant pin strikes.

they seem the same because theyre ALL striking light, but hard enough to fire most of them.

i can almost guaranty with 100% certainty that a quality metal FCG would fix that.

5pins
04-25-10, 10:58
Well the firing pin is metal so I don't think that is the problem

I think he was talking about the hammer pin, not the firing pin.

I understand that polymers have come a long way in the use of firearms but……… using it in fire control parts?

Buman
04-25-10, 17:37
I appreciate the feedback. While I have shot M4 style weapons for years I really have no experience when it comes to building them or anything beyond the basic takedown to clean the weapon. It is a little humbeling to learn all of this now with the experience I though i had:o Well I will definately start looking for a good quality FCG any suggestions? I've also started looking at different uppers mostly from BCM but we will see, it will be later down the road. Thanks again for the imput.

ForTehNguyen
04-25-10, 22:12
G&R Tactical sells high quality lower parts kits

120mm
04-25-10, 22:58
I appreciate the feedback. While I have shot M4 style weapons for years I really have no experience when it comes to building them or anything beyond the basic takedown to clean the weapon. It is a little humbeling to learn all of this now with the experience I though i had:o Well I will definately start looking for a good quality FCG any suggestions? I've also started looking at different uppers mostly from BCM but we will see, it will be later down the road. Thanks again for the imput.

Post of the Year.

I don't know about everyone else, here, but I've been exactly where you are now, not that long ago.

If I were you, I'd forget about the humbling bit, and consider this tuition to the school of hard knocks. A high quality Lower Parts Kit, or LPK, can usually be had for $70 or so. Start by getting the scratch for that and buying and installing that.

If that fixes the light primer strike issue, great. Shoot your blaster as much as you can afford to. Fix stuff as need/it breaks.

Buman
04-25-10, 23:01
That sounds like a good plan and it has been an eyeopening experience but at the same time it has been fun. I appreciate all the people on this forum providing their knowledge. But I think the worst part of it all is that after the kinks are worked out with this gun I already want to build the next one. :D

Buman
08-29-10, 17:47
Just a little update: I ended up not getting a new LPK still running the same poly LPK that came with lower receiver. I was able to fix the hammer spring and no longer had any light hammer strikes, so thanks all for the advice on that. This weekend took it out and ran a little over 500 rounds through it and no problems whatsoever. I know this isn't proving a hole lot yet but its a step in the right direction. Thanks again for all the input guys.

Buman
09-07-10, 02:58
Ah labor day weekend and I was finally able to put over 1000 rds through it. Ran some drill I've been working on and had zero problems the entire time. So far so good since i got all the kinks worked out.

g5m
09-09-10, 22:51
This is interesting. Keep posting how things are going.

bkb0000
09-09-10, 23:08
glad its working out for you. what was wrong with the hammer spring?

Buman
09-09-10, 23:33
glad its working out for you. what was wrong with the hammer spring?

All that was wrong was it was upsidedown, since changing it out it has ran like a top. So far so good

diggo
03-22-11, 18:29
Do you still have it? If so how has it held up?

Buman
03-22-11, 18:35
Yeah I still have it and it is running great. I am planning on attending a class this coming august which will be around 500 round class. I am pretty happy with the build for the price I paid and have not had any problems with it.

diggo
03-22-11, 19:25
I think I am going to get one and see how I like it. Thanks!

Buman
03-22-11, 22:59
I think it's a good buy for the price. I just bought a spikes tactical lower, just waiting for it to come in, and not because I don' like the Plumbcrazy lower, I just bought it because you can't have enough:D
But I think you will definetly like the plumbcrazy.

diggo
03-26-11, 14:16
I just bought one with a CMMG upper!

graffex
03-26-11, 14:51
:suicide2:

diggo
03-26-11, 15:22
Y?:suicide2:

MistWolf
03-27-11, 05:33
Buman, before attending your carbine class in August, I'd suggest you have a complete back-up lower ready to go.

I think it's great you tried this as nothing teaches like experience. Not sure what I think of a polymer lower for a fighting carbine. Here's a link to a Plum Crazy link at the Fal Files-
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290625

x-STG1
03-27-11, 14:23

Just want to say thanks. I had some misfires on a few rounds on a new builds first time to the range. After reading your post I discovered it too had the hammer spring installed wrong. Just fixed it and will be back to the range soon to see it that helped.