PDA

View Full Version : Replace notched hammer for M16 BCG?

brushy bill
04-17-10, 12:32
Searched some threads and came up with (or interpreted) conflicting info. Here is my question:

Following replacement of shaved BCG with M16 BCG on Colt 6700, do I need to or should I replace the notched hammer?

If I leave it as is, are there issues with accelerated wear on the notched hammer or other components? Issues with reliability?

If I attempt to change it will the integral web sear block interfere with function of the rounded hammer (one of the posts seemed to indicate this might be an issue)?

Other things to be aware of?

Thanks for your time.

GaryXD
04-17-10, 13:27
Four of my rifles have notched hammers and M16 BCGs. No issues.

Blankwaffe
04-17-10, 15:30
The notched hammer works perfectly fine with the shrouded carriers.As gotm4 and a few others have noted here in the past,the only draw back to the notched hammer is that it limits the lower to rifle caliber uppers.The notched hammer will not work with the pistol caliber BCG's.
Do a search for notched hammers using gotm4's screen name and you will find the info he provided on the subject.
HTH

brushy bill
04-17-10, 21:59
Thanks GaryXD and Blankwaffe!

SeriousStudent
04-17-10, 23:10
I did change out the notched hammer on my dedicated .22 carbine. I run a Tactical Solutions M4 upper, on a specific lower. I changed the hammer to an un-notched LMT version, and it runs much better.

So if you are planning on using a conversion kit..... Other than that, the notched one will run like a raped ape.

shadow65
04-18-10, 07:03
Only reason I know to change the hammer is if you are planning to run a .22 conversion.