PDA

View Full Version : new build questions

garbear
04-17-10, 18:44
I am getting ready to build my second AR. My first was a 20" heavy barrel rifle I use for shooting coyotes. I am buying the following

BCM BFH™ 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
BCM M4 Stock Kit - (w/ Milspec Rec Ext) - Standard or the h buffer
I already have my lower

Or should I go with the carbine length upper receiver by BCM. needing opinions for this rifle.

I need to bounce off ideas and make sure she is going to be reliable. Also want to put in a piston because of the clean factor, but that will be much later

My other question is on the buffer been reading here and need to decide which buffer is better for my needs. My first one is a rifle length gas system so didn't have to worry because all that gets shot in that rifle is 223 varmint loads. I will be shooting 5.56 in this m4. Rifle will be used for defense/ training/ goes with me if I ever have to bug out.

scottd907
04-17-10, 19:42
Great choice for a defense weapon. Stick with the mid-length system, it will allow quicker follow up shots. Whatever you do to it or add to it, make sure your rifle has a flash light. Most important thing on any home defense rifle, seeing most homes are robbed during the pm or early am time.

Iv been hearing and reading a lot of mixed things about piston gas systems. Yes it will leave your upper receiver and bolt cleaner, but just means you have more moving parts in your rifle to fail with time. It just doesn't sound reasonable to the weekend shooter, not saying you are.

ForTehNguyen
04-17-10, 21:17
middy is a great choice, CAR and H buffers work fine in middys

piston isnt necessary. A BCM middy went 16k rounds without cleaning, its up to 32k rounds now with 2 bolt replacements.

garbear
04-17-10, 22:16
Thanks for helping to make my choice easier.