PDA

View Full Version : Body armor suggestions

DaveC
04-17-10, 22:44
Looking for suggestions for new armor. It will need to be able to be used as a concealable type for uniformed patrol duty. However, I work at times in other assignments other than uniform that includes search warrant service and other team type functions. So I would prefer to also have an outer carrier to have all the needed items.

The Diamondback Tactical armor with the concealable carrier and the UTOC carrier almost sounds like it would work well. But by the limited info that is on DBTs site it is difficult to determine what plates will work with the UTOC other than DBTs. The Mayflower panels and carriers may be another option.

JC5611
04-18-10, 08:50
Diamondback Tactical has a great reputation and makes quality stuff. I've never seen their UTOC in person, but at $450 it seems a little steep to me, considering you're not using it all the time. They have good customer service so if you give them a call they will answer your questions. Additionally, I would imagine the carrier would handle at minimum 10x12 plates....they sell those and larger on their site.

The Mayflower gets good reviews and there are some members and retailers on the board that I believe have them. I'm sure if you contacted them they can give you specifics. The Mayflower comes in at about $250 which would save you some $.

Keep in mind, I have no personal experience with either carrier, but I am a plain clothes LEO, so I use my issued armor in an outer carrier (I don't ever wear it concealed). If you are interested in what I'm using, feel free to PM, I spent a good deal of time researching armor and carriers for LEO. But if you are buying the panels and the carrier at the same time and from the same company, then you won't have issues with whether or not your specific panels will fit into a carrier.....BALCS armor vs. LEO cut armor.

Hope this convoluted, confusing post helps :D

Stay safe

JC

glockshooter
04-18-10, 10:12
I dont kow what your normal assignment is but when you buy body armor you better buy it for the assignment you work the most. If you work in UP you better find comfortable concealable armor. I have ABA armor and they also have a tactical carrier you can purchase. You also have to understand $450 for armor is dirt cheap. Most quality armor is going to run $700 to $1200. I think you need to do some research and decide what type of armor best suits your purpose. Also remember you will not get any rifle rated armor that is truly concealable.

Matt

JC5611
04-18-10, 10:34
Matt.......good points. I checked DBT and it is $475 for the panels and $450 for the carrier only. You're right, that is cheap for soft armor. I'm issued First Choice armor and my armor isn't sized to be concealable, and wear under a uniform.

Are you looking to buy your own armor? I would imagine your dept/agency has issued you armor, are you looking for something to upgrade or to replace your issued armor? Not picking on your post, just looking for some info to help out with suggestions.

JC

markm
04-18-10, 10:34
Here's an old but good thread I searched out...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26174&highlight=body+armor+basics

DaveC
04-18-10, 10:54
That is the current situation that I have, my time is split pretty much 50/50 from UP to PC. Understood about the rifle rated, was just looking for options for possible use of plates as well.

I dont kow what your normal assignment is but when you buy body armor you better buy it for the assignment you work the most. If you work in UP you better find comfortable concealable armor. I have ABA armor and they also have a tactical carrier you can purchase. You also have to understand $450 for armor is dirt cheap. Most quality armor is going to run $700 to $1200. I think you need to do some research and decide what type of armor best suits your purpose. Also remember you will not get any rifle rated armor that is truly concealable.

Matt

I am mainly looking at the armor that comes recommended by DocGKR for the obvious reasons. At this point I am looking to buy my own armor. By policy and contract it is supposed to be purchased by the agency. However, my current concealed vest has just past the 6 year old mark. I started asking for a new model about 6 months before my current vest expired. I have forwarded all DocGKRs info to the chief and those that decide what we purchase. While it seemed very well received any action taken since has been little to none.

They had a local vendor come out about 4 months ago that was selling armor. For some reason they were determined to purchase from him. I asked simple questions that he clearly had no idea on what he was selling. The only things that I wanted to know were basics, Who made it, what is it made of, and will it pass the FBI tests ? All I had from him was the deer in the head lights look. Even after attempting to pass the info on the our staff that this is not someone we should buy armor from since he has no knowledge of his products, it has not been met with any other options or really to seem to be a very high priority.

So yes, I am looking to purchase my own armor and I need the most for the money that will hopefully work in UP and PC roles.

Matt.......good points. I checked DBT and it is $475 for the panels and $450 for the carrier only. You're right, that is cheap for soft armor. I'm issued First Choice armor and my armor isn't sized to be concealable, and wear under a uniform.

Are you looking to buy your own armor? I would imagine your dept/agency has issued you armor, are you looking for something to upgrade or to replace your issued armor? Not picking on your post, just looking for some info to help out with suggestions.

JC