PDA

View Full Version : M&P and X300 (locking method)

FPembleton
04-17-10, 23:48
I'm ordering a Raven holster, and I was wondering what the consensus on the method of mounting the X300 to S&W M&P pistols.

Should I be looking into using the U/P latch method or Rail Lock?

Thanks.

Rated21R
04-18-10, 00:02
what is the difference? i am picking up an M&P and I currently have an x300 for my rifle but planned on running one on my pistol too. want to pick up a RC holster too.

Apollo11
04-18-10, 00:05
The U/P latch allows the light to come on and off quicker and eaiser (eaiser to move to other guns_. The rail lock makes the light feel more solid on the gun, but it tougher to take off. The light comes with both ways to mount, but if you want to use the rail lock, you have to put it together via the instructions.

For either make sure you usr the "P" indicating bar vs the "U" bar.

Titleist
04-18-10, 00:05
U/P is the standard way to go. That's what you'll want your RCS holster set up with.

FPembleton
04-18-10, 11:06
U/P is the standard way to go. That's what you'll want your RCS holster set up with.

Thanks. That's what I ordered from Raven for a M&P Pro. I just wanted to make sure that it would be the preferable model.

Apollo11
04-18-10, 11:29
Thanks. That's what I ordered from Raven for a M&P Pro. I just wanted to make sure that it would be the preferable model.

There is no preferable model (more common, sure). Just two different ways to put the light on the gun. One more secure, and one more of a quick change.

Titleist
04-18-10, 11:45
Cool beans, the mold that the RCS holsters are based on for the M&P is from my pistol. So if you don't like the fit just blame my gun! :eek:

Apollo11
04-18-10, 11:53
Cool beans, the mold that the RCS holsters are based on for the M&P is from my pistol. So if you don't like the fit just blame my gun! :eek:

Your pistol is immortal! Which caliber(s)?

TehLlama
04-18-10, 13:16
Well, at least my wife's M&P gets to know this special caveat. I may not get to handle Titleist's pile of awesome, but indirectly that can.

And another for the U/P mounting, that's how the light was designed to function.

Titleist
04-18-10, 13:22
Pro's only come in 9mm. So 9mm. ;)

G34Shooter
04-18-10, 13:55

I called them about this too and they told me that the U/P was the standard way for me to go as well.

FPembleton
04-18-10, 14:01

Oh and I do love the stippling work on your gun. Wish I could get that done.

On another note, does anyone know if Raven produces their holsters in batches, or is it on a made-to-order basis?

G34Shooter
04-18-10, 15:21
Oh and I do love the stippling work on your gun. Wish I could get that done.

On another note, does anyone know if Raven produces their holsters in batches, or is it on a made-to-order basis?

Made to order

a1cobbs
04-18-10, 18:46
So is the U/P latch provided with the X300? Just to be clear.

Palmguy
04-18-10, 18:57

Yes. The X300 comes with a universal plate, picatinny plate, and the rail lock setup.

With respect to the M&P, I had to use the universal attachment...with the Picatinny rail plate the light won't lock onto the gun.

Apollo11
04-18-10, 20:15

As was said above, the light comes with the U/P latch on it, but it is designed to be used with either. The P fits fine for most M&P's that I've seen. You'll get a really tight fit with the rail lock, but most go with the U/P for easy on off. The rail lock is more permanet, and for when the light is on the gun full time (only coming off for battery changes).

ETA: Bottom line: It comes with both ways to mount and instructions. Mount which way serves your needs best.

a1cobbs
04-18-10, 20:33
Thanks Apollo. Speed reading the thread, I missed that part in you're original explanation.

texag
04-19-10, 00:57
Yes. The X300 comes with a universal plate, picatinny plate, and the rail lock setup.

With respect to the M&P, I had to use the universal attachment...with the Picatinny rail plate the light won't lock onto the gun.

Same here.

m98evolution
04-20-10, 09:30
^ Does that mean the universal plate doesn't lock in as tightly as it should?

Titleist
04-20-10, 09:40
I use the P plate. You have to really press it on hard to lock it in, but it's LOCKED on solid. The U plates leaves some room for a little bit of play.

b.richards
04-20-10, 09:42
I use the P plate. You have to really press it on hard to lock it in, but it's LOCKED on solid. The U plates leaves some room for a little bit of play.

I noticed that on mine too. I gave up on the P plate thinking it was impossible. I'll have to try again when I get home tonight. I'd much rather have the P-plate installed because there is a tiny bit of play with the U-plate. Thanks!

Titleist
04-20-10, 09:58
It'll lock in. I just use my palm to press the X300 (from the bezel end) on and it clicks on tight. Taking it off requires a little bit of effort, but I don't take my X300 off very often.

Nav195
04-20-10, 12:01
I have my kimber warrior I haven't ordered the light yet but I suppose the p plate will work the best?

Chayse
04-27-10, 13:55
Have people gotten the x300 to lock on to an M&P full size 9 or Pro with the P plate?

I just got an X300 and the P plate by itself fits perfect in the first slot on my Pro 9, where the U plate is very loose in that slot. However, once I assemble the X300 with the P plate, I can't push it far enough back on the rail for the plate to engage the first slot. I've done it with the rail screws loose and tight. It just hits the front of the trigger guard before it locks on. If I assemble the X300 with the U plate, I can push it back on the rail and get it to lock just as it butts up against the trigger guard. It feels like it is wedged in there tight and won't move. That would be fine, but i want to be able to switch the light between the M&P Pro, my AR-15 and my Springfield Armory Operator. The P plate works perfect on the Springfield Operator and the AR rail, and the U plate is very loose, as it should be.

Does Surefire have different Picatinny plates available? I think if the part that locks in the slot were just a smidge more to the rear of the plate, it would work fine on all the weapons I want to be able to use it on.

Are there any other options? Should I slightly file the front slot on my Pro so the X300 with the P plate fits?

FPembleton
04-27-10, 14:16
I believe Titleist uses the P plate on the Pro.

bigmerv
04-27-10, 14:42
I have the P plate and x300 on my FS. I just have to rock or tilt the light slightly for it to lock into place.

Apollo11
04-27-10, 21:25
My suggestion is to use the Rail Lock, the P bar works great on the M&P.