PDA

View Full Version : Accelerated Paramedic programs?

Doc_G
04-18-10, 15:03
I know a lot of people are against the accelerated programs, but I'm looking for a good program either close to Middlebury VT; or Co Springs.

This is the course I'm looking into, ;ust wondering if their were others in the area;http://www.mpcc.edu/Accelerated_EMT-Paramedic.html

MIKE G
04-18-10, 15:24
What level are you know and what is your background (experience, years practicing, etc)?

I went through one of these programs. I worked in a region and agency where the day to day function (drugs, skills, and expectation of knowledge) was the same for Intermediate 99s (what I was at the time) and Paramedics. I went through class having functioned at a high ALS level doing both 911 and ALS interfacility transports with an expanded scope of practice. For me, the only thing challenging was the number of hours you had to sit in class and the amount of time you spent on a truck to get hours and skills in during the 3.5 months we had to complete it all.

For my classmates it wasnt the same story. The bulk of the class had functionally no experience and were EMT-B's for less than a year prior to enrollment. Some had not even worked or volunteered so they really did not have the basics down. Getting to a point where the basics are second nature is a must before moving onto ALS, in my opinion, and most definitely before embarking upon an accelerated Paramedic program. I spent a good bit of time helping my fellow classmates, which was not an issue for me but was a bit concerning considering in a few months they would be making Paramedic level decisions with a very small tool box of knowledge available to them.

So, if you have some time under your belt and know how to do a good solid assessment, patient interview, and have functionally mastered all the skills of an EMT-B and integrating them into a treatment plan then you should be good to go. On the other hand, if you still struggle with taking a blood pressure, sound disjointed in your patient interview, oral report, and documentation, or have difficulty with basic interventions then I would suggest spending some more time on a truck or in a clinical environment until those things are second nature, which they should come rather quickly.

I went through Pelham Training in Bloomington Indiana, the website is www.emtinc.net . Even though I am an instructor and can get free CE elsewhere I continue to go back for the CE week they put on because they are good people and it offers a great opportunity to network. Quite a few of the students that go through both the cert program and CE week are SOF or contractors. Last time I went through we had 2 contractors, a former PJ, and an AD PJ as well as one of the instructors was a contractor with one of the companies I worked for.

Hope that helps,

Doc_G
04-18-10, 15:42
My background is 5 years Army Medic/EMT-B, two tours over seas. I don't anticipated the course being much of a challenge, that's why I want an accelerated program.

MIKE G
04-18-10, 16:16
If it was me in your position, I would decide on a program and confirm a spot in a class. Then find out what text they are using and start studying. Come up with a schedule and hold yourself to it. That way you have at least brushed over the chapter before you cover it in class. The overall class will seem like it drags on but each day will fly by if that makes sense.

It will be stressful and you will have trouble keeping up with PT (I gained about 25 pounds during class and the other contractor/prior Force Recon guy gained 20 and was diagnosed with new onset hypertension and placed on meds roughly half way through the course), a number of other students had issues manifest as well. Try to keep tabs on that.

Civi EMS is different than .mil medicine so be flexible and the culture shock wont be so severe. Sick call will be replaced with drunks and addicts that leach off the system on an amazing yet offensive level.

Other than that, have fun...

Doc_G
04-18-10, 16:32
Thanks for the advice; I definatly need to concentrate on PT more; gained some weight just since getting back from Iraq a few months ago. I worked in the ER when I was conus and ran with base EMS, so hopefully their won't be too much culture shock.

Hopefully Monday I will enroll in the course; but I have been planning on moving to the Springs, the unit I deployed TDY with is there and have several friends in the area, but schools only 4.5 hrs away; that's not bad.

Doc_G
05-05-10, 10:29
I'm here right now, pretty good so far..
http://www.wildmed.com/medical-professionals/wilderness-emt-i.html

Mike91A
05-05-10, 12:05
Took my schooling thru a local hospital that had it's own EMS service. Instuctor did not want to let myself and another prior Army medic into the coarse. Her previous experiances were guys saying that in the Army we did it this way or that. Eating up class time. Course was associated with a local college. Wound up with an assoc. degree in Paramedicine. Doc G. Looked up that link and other info on the NET. The profesion sure has changed since the late 80s when I started.

Doc_G
05-05-10, 13:05
Things have changed a lot just in the 5yrs I've been doing it...

lecyad
05-27-10, 17:47
your best bet is ask your local guys what they think. down in miami we do not care where you get your license. actually we do not care how many years or if you are a Dr. you need to proove yourself. most new medics are what we call paper medics. time on the job is all that counts. once you get hired you'll learn fron senior medics.

Medic548
05-30-10, 19:23
I comment on this topic very tentatively as I have an interest in a paramedic school in Arizona, I am also a former 91B. I am not pimping my paramedic school, it either survives or dies on it's own merits. When I got my paramedic cert. I went thru Southwest Ambulance's program (my employer at the time). I have been the lead instructor on a couple of paramedic courses and assisted in several others.
Twelve weeks seems very short to me, however a motivated student with EMS experience (army medic is fine) and prerequisites in A&P, Pharmacology, ECG interpretation should do well. I have seen paramedic students from Kern County's paramedic course blow students from Daniel Freeman out of the water in comparative knowledge. I have had a couple of students complete the paramedic class without previous EMS experience aside from an EMT course. Some were military veterans from other than medical MOS's, some students at ASU. Paramedic school is 70% about the student's drive to be a good paramedic. Doc_G if being a paramedic is what you really want than you can do well in an accelerated program, but I don't think it will be very much fun (they never are btw).

browningboy84
06-06-10, 03:16
If you really wanna do it, then go for it. Give it 100%, and strive for perfection. I did an accelerated paramedic course, but I was already an EMT. It was a bitch to say the least, but I made it through. I now have instructor certs 3 years later, so I can say that you can do it, and earn the respect of your colleagues. What you put in as far as studying and preparing for class, is what you will get out. IF you can buckle down, then go for it. If you cant eat, breathe, and sleep it, then forget it. Just my $.02

Gutshot John
06-06-10, 11:40
I was under the impression that you had to be an EMT-B before you could become a Paramedic, irrespective of an accelerated program. What concerns me are those that get their EMT-B and immediately sign up for EMT-P accelerated programs without spending time on the street.

The accelerated programs are for those with significant medical experience and are not appropriate for the lay person who decides he wants to become Johnny Gage.

If you have that experience I have no problems with it but it ain't no shortcut. Otherwise there is no functional difference between paramedics who went through traditional programs and those that did an accelerated format. I've seen really shitty medics who went the traditional route. I've also seen really shitty medics with lots of "experience" (including one former 18D that sticks out in my head) who went the accelerated route. The accelerated programs are extremely stressful and time-consuming. You won't have much of a life for 6-8 months. Intellectually there isn't any more "challenge" to one or the other.

It's not the didactic part that makes you a medic, it's the clinical training and time on the street.