PDA

View Full Version : favorite flash hider for sbr

kalibos
04-18-10, 16:13
so what's everyones favorite flash hider for their sbr? i have been kicking around the idea of using a bulgarian 4 piece instead of the noveske.

Kissel
04-18-10, 16:29
11.5 and up, I like either the Blackout or the Vortex.
For 10.5 I like the VLTOR VC-1.

Ratfink
04-18-10, 21:04
flaming pig also know as a kx3 from noveske if your not running a suppressor or a acc if you are i love my blackouts

JSGlock34
04-18-10, 21:40
I'm very impressed with the AAC Blackout on my 10.5" upper. The reduction in flash is very noticeable compared to the A2 that used to be on there. Big difference.

infidelprodigy
04-18-10, 22:26
Another plus to the Noveske KX3 is that it seems to redirect some of the noise and concussion of an sbr downrange instead of around. It's more pleasent when close to walls or if you are next to an sbr.

Keesh
04-19-10, 09:25
My phantom kills any flash, even when it's pitch black.

WWhunter
04-19-10, 10:05
Anyone tried the Troy Industries "Medievil"? I have a couple laying in my parts box that I have never installed and was curious as to how well they work.
Thanks.

Boss Hogg
04-19-10, 11:38
The AAC Blackout works great. It's long, however, and costs $100 (for the suppressor mount version)

A YHM Phantom, on the other hand, works equally well, seems a tad shorter, and costs $25ish.

If you want to test a flash hider, get some XM193 ammo. My BCM 11.5" was spewing beachball fireballs with it and an A2 FH.

lwhazmat5
04-19-10, 12:44
For me, I originally ran an Phantom Flash Suppressor on a 7.5" Upper. The resulting concussion that occurred every time I pulled the trigger was ridiculous, especially for other members/shooters in the 9 or 3 o'clock vicinity! I went with a Noveske KX-3 because of user reviews and I was EXTREMELY impressed! I know it is hard to justify spending $125 on a muzzle device, but if you are serious about reducing the muzzle/noise signature, it will be worth every penny to you and your teammates ear drums especially! As far as flame signature goes, the KX-3 does an admirable job at flame reduction. However, it didn't earn the name "Flaming Pig" for cool factors alone!

Skyyr
04-19-10, 16:03
The AAC Blackout works great. It's long, however, and costs $100 (for the suppressor mount version)

A YHM Phantom, on the other hand, works equally well, seems a tad shorter, and costs $25ish.

If you want to test a flash hider, get some XM193 ammo. My BCM 11.5" was spewing beachball fireballs with it and an A2 FH.

You can get the standard Blackout for $50-60. There is no comparison whatsoever between a YHM and a Blackout. The Blackout is more effective, hands down. In regards to length, the standard Blackout flash hider is shorter than a Smith Vortex (which is also better than the YHM). If you're going to mount a suppressor and need a suppressor-mount version of the Blackout, then the length of a flash hider doesn't matter much anyway.

beavo451
04-19-10, 18:48
My favorite flash hider. ;)

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p56dVl8zWtW2l12hU8IH_rqiZkAMXiK2YTguj0UYEJCffl8HU0QwSmuB4hd5bmwOM7AKbtmfQWoKSh6TDSy0-gA/DSC_4355.jpg

markm
04-19-10, 18:59

That is strange!!

I took my 11.5 out one evening and shot XM193 through it with NO flash hider and got a football sized flash.

With the A2 flash hider in the same experiment, I was getting a baseball sized flash.

I run A2 flash hiders on both of my 11.5" SBRs with no flash problems.

shadow65
04-19-10, 19:02
Levang

markm
04-19-10, 19:11
My favorite flash hider. ;)

Actually... The silencer gives off more of a flash out the end cap than the blackout mount alone.

JeepDriver
04-19-10, 19:12
On my 11.5 is either a Vortex or a Gem Tech M4-02

beavo451
04-19-10, 19:45
Actually... The silencer gives off more of a flash out the end cap than the blackout mount alone.

Okay.

He asked for favorite, not most effective.

markm
04-19-10, 22:15
Fair enough! :p I guess my silencer would be my favorite too then. :cool:

SWATcop556
04-20-10, 00:00
The A2 works well enough for my needs on both of mine. I've been interested in the Levang comp though.

Boss Hogg
04-20-10, 07:12
That is strange!!

I took my 11.5 out one evening and shot XM193 through it with NO flash hider and got a football sized flash.

With the A2 flash hider in the same experiment, I was getting a baseball sized flash.

I run A2 flash hiders on both of my 11.5" SBRs with no flash problems.

I guess you got a good batch :D Not that XM193 is known for consistency :cool:

Boss Hogg
04-20-10, 07:14
You can get the standard Blackout for $50-60. There is no comparison whatsoever between a YHM and a Blackout. The Blackout is more effective, hands down. In regards to length, the standard Blackout flash hider is shorter than a Smith Vortex (which is also better than the YHM). If you're going to mount a suppressor and need a suppressor-mount version of the Blackout, then the length of a flash hider doesn't matter much anyway.

I'm curious how a Blackout is infinitely more effective. I own both and shoot them indoors.

Does a YHM ring? No.

Does one use a can all of the time? Not necessarily. YMMV.

Showbart
04-20-10, 17:54
YHM doesn't ring because it's not an open tine design. AAC and SEI ring. I never hear them when shooting. They are both superb. From the vids found here the YHM does a decent job, but is not in the league of the Vortex or Blackout. So as some here have said, they are well served even by the A2 so the YHM is a viable option, more so when you you consider cost. Also great if you have to use it as a minor pig sticker!

kalibos
04-28-10, 07:20
i've decided to go with a standard a2 flash hider for now since i plan on buying a halo eventually so that i can swap it out between my ak's and ar's. so for now the a2 and 4 piece should work just fine for my needs.
thanks for the feedback guys:)

markm
04-28-10, 18:14
I guess you got a good batch :D Not that XM193 is known for consistency :cool:

Who knows? I'll have to try it again one of these days. :confused: