PDA

View Full Version : Upper Life??

john1969
04-18-10, 18:34
Can anyone say how many rounds does a average a AR upper receiver use until it needs replaced? Thanks!

bkb0000
04-18-10, 18:41
are you talking about just the receiver, or the complete upper assembly?

if just the receiver.... 50,000-150,000 rounds? maybe more? it's a big guess, by anybody. some wear more than others, some dont hardly wear at all.

if you're talking about a complete assembly- many parts will need replacing over the life of the assembly, and the barrel life will depend greatly on what kind of steel it is, the manufacturing process, how hard it gets pushed, etc. two identical barrels might wear at a ratio of 1:2 depending on how it's used.

john1969
04-18-10, 19:18
bkb I was just talking upper by itself...I'm interested in Fail Zero but did not want to get the upper done. If I don't, they claim 11,000 rounds life. Thanks!

bkb0000
04-18-10, 19:26
unless the other failzero-treated parts are going to somehow destroy your upper- no, i can say for a certainty that unless there is something drastically wrong, you should get a HELL of a lot more than 11,000 rounds.

i admit an ignorance to the failzero process- ive seen all the threads/articles on it, but i'm just not interested in all these new voodoo gimmicks. apparently the failzero stuff specifically is gaining some real notoriety, so i'll obviously need to get with the program and study up.

this isn't one of those "no lubrication" things, is it?

john1969
04-19-10, 06:23
Yes, it's a no lube latest coating. Supposed to be as good or better than Robar NP3. I also included a link from defense review. This guy ran a few thousand rds. [I]dry[I]in a AR. Tell me what you think.Thanks!

http://www.defensereview.com/the-big-m4-myth-fouling-caused-by-the-direct-impingement-gas-system-makes-the-m4-unreliable/

Magic_Salad0892
04-19-10, 18:00
It's a Nickel Boron coating. It works. Very well.