PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Carry Pistol Mags

madisonsfinest
04-18-10, 21:01
Since I started my training in the academy in 1999 I've had my double pistol mag pouch on my gun side of the belt laying horizontal. I like this way, and I will probably never change after all of this time. After looking to buy a double pistol mag pouch for a new setup I've found that most mag pouches are for vertical carry. It looks like my next setup will be the generic setup I have at work, basically all Bianchi. Anyone else run into this problem?

SWATcop556
04-18-10, 21:50
Most Safariland and Bianchi mag holders are built for vertical or horizontal carry.

Oscar 319
04-18-10, 23:03
I carried horizontal for a few years in the same manner. It worked better with my equipment layout, especially after being issued a Taser.

This came to an abrupt end the first time I went for a mag on my support side durring a stress shoot.

The argument is not which method is faster or more efficient. It boils down to muscle memory.

Is all your shooting done with your duty belt on? When off duty, where do you carry your spare mag/mags?

My mags, duty, off duty, concealed carry, are all carried in the same area- vertical on the support side. Every time I grab for a fresh mag, they are right "there".

I am by no means knocking this method. Muscle memory/training aside, I preferred it for the sake of equipment placement. Also, I do not know of one reputable trainer who advocates this method. I used to think I knew better, until I fooled myself.

On another note; I believe all Bianchi duty mag pouches can be carried either way.

Also, you say "at work". Are you not allowed to bring your equipment home? As homo as it is, I've spent hours in my bedroom tinkering with my duty belt set up and practicing reloads and dry fire.

Chameleox
04-18-10, 23:24
MF,

Look at my belt the next time I'm in; I switched to vertical carry. I did this so that my mag reloads would be roughly in the same place and orientation for uniformed duty, SWAT, plain clothes, off duty, and competition. I found it logistically easier to switch the one duty pouch 90 degrees and to the other side of my belt instead of trying to find new pouches for the other uses, and then buying them.
Yup, you have to practice a lot more reloads, but I do this anyways. I found it easier for weak side reloads as well. YMMV

-Ed-

John_Wayne777
04-18-10, 23:34
Also, you say "at work". Are you not allowed to bring your equipment home? As homo as it is, I've spent hours in my bedroom tinkering with my duty belt set up and practicing reloads and dry fire.

If you have a job where they issue you a gun and body armor, I don't think it's the least bit "homo" to try and be as good with it as possible. ;)

madisonsfinest
04-21-10, 00:10
I can take my duty rig home, I'm just thinking that after 11 years of carrying and reloading from the same area, that it wouldn't be good to try and change that now. I guess I was hoping that more brands would offer horizontal mag pouches, but outside of LEO's, it doesn't sound like too many people carry mags in this manner.