PDA

View Full Version : My hero neighbor

Littlelebowski
04-18-10, 21:25
While out walking Nacho the Belgian Malinois the other day, I met an elderly couple two blocks from my house. We had a nice talk and it turns out that the husband is Ken Brown, author of Marauder Man (http://www.amazon.com/Marauder-Man-Crucial-Little-History/dp/0935553533), a book about his experiences in WWII as bombardier and navigator on the B-26 Marauder bomber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-26_Marauder) and the A-26 Invader bomber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-26_Invader).

The book details his upbringing in the Great Depression, his moral struggle as a honest Quaker about the war, his training, his combat missions, and his life overseas. A little dry but you can damned sure tell he wrote it himself and by the time you get to the combat missions, you cannot put the book down. Nowhere near the same war as an infantryman experienced but the tale is of warriors doing a truly difficult job. The stories of flak, how the bombing process took place, and lots of little observations about the wartime life make this book an good addition to any American's library. Parts of the book had me cursing out loud in wonderment at what these guys went through, especially with damaged aircraft. One pilot landing on his rear landing gear only since the front gear wouldn't deploy, another guy who had the cockpit glass blown off along with his goggles and helmet, making a belly landing, the stories are amazing.

I am honored to make the man my friend and the autographed copy of his book is a treasured possession of mine now.

Ruff Shod
04-18-10, 21:42
Allsome!

My Great Uncle also wrote a similar book.

China Burma India...to the Kwai

He was a bombadier on a B-24 Liberator and got shot down while blowin up the bridge on the River Kwai.

Them boys went thru some shit!

Gatorhunt
04-18-10, 23:14
That's pretty cool .. wish I had a neighbor like that. Always wanted to sit down with a guy like that and a good bottle of boose and just BS for hours.:cool:

Oscar 319
04-18-10, 23:27
WWII vets are the greatest. Thanks taking the time to talk to this fine gentleman, and thank you for sharing.

mattjmcd
04-19-10, 00:38
Nice! It's an honor to meet that kind of guy, IMO.

Colo.TJ
04-19-10, 08:33
My step mothers first husband was a gunner on a bomber. He kept a fairly detailed diary. He was shot down twice. Once behind enemy lines and rescued by the French Underground. Very interesting read.

BVickery
04-19-10, 10:21
Sadly I don't remember many WWII vets, but do know I met a few of them at the Veterans Day parade when I was in Scouts.

As a young adult I was fortunate enough to meet and talk with a gentleman who was in Search and Rescue during the Vietnam War. He had a few interesting stories to tell after I knew him for over a year.

I knew my neighbor growing up was a Vietnam Veteran and the only things he would really let out was he was a mustang in the 101st and retired as a Lt. Col. He never said what he did, or anything, just very quiet.

It really pisses me off that our society idolizes sports stars and celebrities as though they better society, or keep it free. I admired great ball players and actors for their abilities, but never considered them a role model or anything.

Icculus
04-19-10, 13:21
Wow that's pretty cool lebowski. To have an opportunity to talk to some of the WWII heros and hear their stories can be a really amazing experience. When I was in high school I did a project where I had the opportunity to sit and talk for an afternoon interview with Robert Morgan, pilot of the Memphis Belle. In addition to the semi-famous 25 missions the Memphis Belle flew, he also did 25 missions in B-29 over Japan. He lived in Asheville and worked in real estate. After a few minutes I forgot all the questions I had written down to ask and just sat and listened to him tell stories. It was awesome. He signed a picture of him and the crew mates in front of the Belle that I still have. An American hero and a great experience I will never forget

SeriousStudent
04-19-10, 18:22
That must have been a great pleasure, to chat with such a gentleman.

And bless you for the respect you rendered to him, LLB.

TOrrock
04-19-10, 18:30
Very cool.

Littlelebowski
04-19-10, 20:01
I can make autographs happen for those in or near Northern VA.

Mark/MO
04-21-10, 21:26
That's great. Enjoy the experience, these guys are disappearing quickly.

As a youngster I had the privilege to hunt with some "old” guys (probably my age now. Funny how your perspective changes), many of whom were WWII vets. I especially remember two, one a Marine at Tarawa and other islands campaigns while the other was a 2nd Lieutenant in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy. I listened in awe whenever they began to talk. Even as a kid I realized some of what these men had seen and done.

DBR
04-21-10, 21:52
A good friend of ours is one of the original Edson's Raiders. He saw a lot of action in the Pacific. He is still alive and an active skeet shooter.

Safetyhit
04-22-10, 11:21
I was at the store yesterday and an incident brought this thread to mind. A friendly older man wearing a WWII cap was in line in front of me, and as usual I took the time to thank him for his service.

However he became a bit shaken and said that it always "tears him apart" when people say something like that. He clearly meant that it makes him emotional, not angry or anything.

All I could think of to say in response was "Well, it tears me apart to think of what you guy's saw over there. Have a good day sir."

And off he went, feeling both happy and sad at the same time. It means so much to them to be appreciated, as we know here. And I hope I see him again, I really do. Hate the thought of them all leaving us soon.