PDA

View Full Version : Question about a possible build

magsig
04-19-10, 07:55
I've studied the chart and I have a good idea what goes into making a reliable AR. However, there seems to be a bias among the more knowledgable folks around here towards factory built rifles. I understand that a properly trained technician will be more likely to produce a better rifle and will have the right tools for the job, than compared to the average Joe.

But, my question is: Can a parts gun be as reliable as a Factory Colt, Noveske, BCM, etc..., if it is made with top tier parts and the builder knows what they are doing? The reason I ask is that nobody makes what I want. I want an IDF "type" carbine with A1 upper and lower, 14.5 " pencil w/perm A2X, old style CAR stock, Mepro 21 with gooseneck mount, etc... If I used the NDS A1 upper and lower, G&R LPK, DD 14.5" lightweight with perm A2x, DD BCG, Colt rec. extension and castle nut...will I have a reliable rifle (assuming it is properly built)...are there any critical pieces missing? Would I be better off just getting a 6520 and having ADCO cut and perm the barrel at 14.7 and living with the A2 rear sight?

Thanks for your help