PDA

View Full Version : Would you feel comfortable with a CZ-85B – Do I really need a G17/P226???

Irfan
04-19-10, 11:25
I’ve had my CZ-85B 9mm pistol for 7 years. For those who don’t know it’s an ambidextrous version of the CZ-75B. I have to say I really like the pistol! It has great ergonomics, low bore axis, a steel frame, can be carried cocked & locked, hi-cap etc.

Today, I bought an excellent leather Italian VEGA shoulder holster for my CZ! My question for you guys (especially for those of you who are member of law enforcement agencies) would you feel comfortable to carry a CZ85B? I know it weighs too much, (I’m probably going to buy some smaller handgun, maybe a G26 or M&P340 revolver, but not so sure) but I speak here about its reliability and dependability. This is SHTF, go to war pistol. Do I really need a more “tactical” and popular Glock 17 or a SIG Sauer P226 for this purpose???

gtmtnbiker98
04-19-10, 11:34
Does it work for you? Is it reliable? Can you shoot it? If so, what would a G17 or a P226 do that this pistol wouldn't? Instead of buying another pistol, invest in some training and ammunition and learn how to really use it. Just my opinion.

Littlelebowski
04-19-10, 11:41
You carry every day with a shoulder holster?

Irfan
04-19-10, 11:52
You carry every day with a shoulder holster?

I carry a vest almost all the time! ;)

padwan
04-19-10, 12:01
I used to carry a CZ75 in the late 80s. It was a pre-B model.

Worked well. But I experienced several incidents of broken slide stops. Easy enough to fix but a bit of pain trying to predict when they'd break.

Sold the gun sometime 94 or 95 I think, and included a pair of spare slide stops with the pistol.

556A2
04-19-10, 12:30
I owned a CZ-75B for about 5 years, and it was a great handgun. Had maybe 3 FTE's and 1 doublefeed in roughly 5,000-6,000 rounds with cheap FMJ. It was a great handgun, but I ended up trading it for a Glock 19 which was a better choice IMO.

I view the CZ-75B like the Beretta 92FS. They are fantastic handguns, but they are just too big & heavy for a practical carry handgun. If you really like the CZ, I'd look at the P0-1 for a better carry gun.

TOrrock
04-19-10, 13:20
Can you even carry in Serbia?

Noodle
04-19-10, 14:04
I have a CZ SP-01 Tactical in a .40. Although heavy like your 85B, it shoots as well if not better than my Glock 19, P99, or HK45. Certainly the most accurate for me. If you are comfortable carrying and shooting the 85B, go with it.

Irfan
04-19-10, 14:07
I am not from Serbia. I am from Bosnia, and yes I can carry.

JonInWA
04-19-10, 14:14
I had varying experiences with 2 seperate CZ-75Bs that I had in the mid-to-late 1990s. Both were obtained brand-new; one from the earlier CZ importer (the one in Minneapolis, Minnesota) the latter from CZ-USA once they were established in Kansas City. The first was problematic, having mid-magazine jams, that persisted despite it being sent back to the importer for repair. The second was flawless.

I don't think that CZ-75 or CZ-85 is a bad gun, but I think that you're likely to have greater success, durability, and longevity with a Glock G17-in a considerably lighter package, with better ergonomics (particularly concerning the CZ safety lever and earlier trigger position and curvature). Glock magazines are also more comfortable to carry.

Best, Jon

Beat Trash
04-19-10, 14:37
The CZ, if it is reliable for you and you can shoot it, would make a good gun.

But you stated it's heavy and you might look for something smaller to carry. I think you have hit upon the answer to your own question.

If you went with a Glock 17, or my preference, a Glock 19, you would have a lighter gun that you easily can carry more often. You would not have to go to a smaller/lighter gun for carrying on a daily basis. This would enable you to have your "Go to war" gun, when and if you actually find yourself needing to use it. If you find yourself needing to use a handgun, you are at war, even if it's your own personal war. Why limit yourself to a smaller, handgun?

I do not know what is involved in obtaining handguns where you live. If it is possible, I would consider keeping the CZ, and obtaining a Glock 19. I'm sure you are aware that events in life can be unpredictable enough that having a spare handgun might not be such a bad idea.

Littlelebowski
04-20-10, 07:41
If you shoot it well and are comfortable with it, why not? That being said, a Glock is much lighter and easier to carry.

Glad to hear about other countries having the right to carry. Maybe you could tell us more about it in a separate thread.