PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an Aftermarket Buffer Spring?

Kilryth
04-19-10, 14:00
I read an article about maintaining your weapon better, and it suggested using an upgraded buffer spring. It specifically suggested the spring found here:

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket buffer springs? I am thinking about getting one for a 16" mid-length with an H-buffer. Supposably they are one of the longest lasting parts in the weapon.

What do you think?

spamsammich
04-19-10, 14:27
Not everything needs an upgrade. More and more people are making parts salad out of their rifles without even having shot them to determine where the problem areas reside. If it aint broke, "upgrades" can be a huge waste of money.

shadow65
04-19-10, 14:34
I've never had to use anything other than a stock spring.

ForTehNguyen
04-19-10, 14:48
i would think other parts would break long, like the bolt, before the buffer spring wears out or breaks.

Thomas M-4
04-19-10, 14:57
I read an article about maintaining your weapon better, and it suggested using an upgraded buffer spring. It specifically suggested the spring found here:

Does anyone have experience with these aftermarket buffer springs? I am thinking about getting one for a 16" mid-length with an H-buffer. Supposably they are one of the longest lasting parts in the weapon.

What do you think?

I use sprinco tactical buffer spring the blue one standard rate.
Replaced the one that came in my LMT that went weak knee at just over 2000 rounds. I just have over 1000 rounds since replacement seems to holding up pretty good so far.

LMT 14.5 upper,LMT lower & enh BCG with H-buffer.

Thomas M-4
04-19-10, 15:00
i would think other parts would break long, like the bolt, before the buffer spring wears out or breaks.

Standard Buffer springs wear out all the time :confused:

Biggy
04-19-10, 15:42

What do you think?

I have been using the SPRINCO standard power (blue coded) buffer spring in my Noveske N4 middy for the last year with all different types of ammo and it has never malfunctioned . My Noveske came with an H buffer. The ejection pattern on my rifle seems to be about perfect, clean or dirty and with all types of ammo. This will probably be the last buffer spring I will have to buy.

JeepDriver
04-19-10, 19:28
I installed a Chrome Silicone Flat wound spring in my SBR I was having issues with.

I've only ran 400 rds through it so far, but it was the first time I've made it through that many rounds through that gun with out having any failuers.

rychencop
04-19-10, 20:51
don't replace that which is not broken. BCG would be the exception IMO.

BufordTJustice
04-19-10, 21:57
A Brownells chrome silicon buffer spring would be a good investment for your rifle. I use a Tubbs Flat wire CS buffer spring...and springco makes good springs also. The buffer spring is a wear item. You can get away with between 3-6 times as much 'wear' if it is made from CS wire. A standard 17-4 stainless buffer spring has measurably reduced spring strength after only 200 rounds. The continued reduction in strength can begin causing issues at the 2K round mark. It's why a CS buffer spring is part of the new SOPMOD II package, along with single piece (read: McFarland) gas rings. You can do no harm by using a standard strength CS buffer spring. It will only take a small set (if any) and will generally be good for the life of the rifle as you will use it. Pat R is a big fan of CS buffer and extractor springs...and he throws serious amounts of lead downrange in his classes through the years.

markm
04-19-10, 22:10
I bought into the CS action spring horse shit ONCE. Turned a good gun into a piece of shit. Standard Colt SS action springs for me from now on. I rotate them out every 5k or so.

If your gun won't run on an in spec spring, there's other problems.

vicious_cb
04-19-10, 23:14
Their buffer springs are excellent. I started using them after I killed a regular buffer spring in alittle under 3000 rounds. Im running 3 of their blue CS springs now with varying round counts and no problems so far. AFAIK they are good to go.

I bought into the CS action spring horse shit ONCE. Turned a good gun into a piece of shit. Standard Colt SS action springs for me from now on. I rotate them out every 5k or so.

If your gun won't run on an in spec spring, there's other problems.

Not all CS springs are made equal...

Boss Hogg
04-20-10, 07:10
Mike Pannone uses Sprinco springs. That's what Pat Rogers calls a clue.

They're what - $20? Try it and see how it works, and get some of their Machine Gunners Lube too.

I think the "Red" ones are more beneficial (carbine length gas systems). I'm not sure about the upside of the "Blue" ones. They do seem to smooth out the recoil impulse nicely.

Kilryth
04-20-10, 08:15
Thank you all for your replies. I did some further research about Chrome Silicone vs milspec buffer spring. Sprinco told me:

"While the moly-plating does provides corrosion resistance in normal operating conditions, if CS springs are going to be exposed to salt water you should pre-treat them with Carwell's CP-90 Rust Inhibitor. Works like a champ. We are also currently working on a proprietary ceramic coating to address OTB operations."

CP-90 must be applied every 6-9 months and immediately after interaction with saltwater. Since saltwater is warned against in the Colt M16 maintenance manual, I'd say that you're going to be in trouble anyway.

Conclusion: Stay out of Saltwater. If you must enter, plan on breaking everything down, washing it down with regular water, cleaning, and lubing. Otherwise, sprinco is fairly resisilient to corrosion.