PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to buy this...input please

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 17:35
After much reading of this forum (thanks boys could not have done it without you) and heming / hawing I believe I am going to order the following from G&R Tactical (contingent on finding local ffl to transfer):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Rear Folding Battle Sight $139.00
Rear Sight Color is Black
Tritium is Tritium (Black) $24.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BCM Uppers $435.00
Length is 16in Mid Length (LIGHT WEIGHT)
Handguards is Mid-Length Handguards $20.00
Bolt Carrier Group is BCM M16 BCG $139.00
Charging Handle is BCM MOD 4 $42.00
Flash Suppressor is SureFire 212A $73.00

BCM Complete Lower $350.00
Additional Shipping ($9.00)
Grip is Magpul MOE (black) $19.00
Stock is Magpul CTR (black) $90.00

Subtotal: $1331.00

What do you think of this purchase for a first AR? What would you change if you had $1500 to spend on a range / home defense weapon?

I'm looking at quality, accuracy (probably better than I can utilize), and price as metrics for this rifle.

I Thought about the DD 9" Omega rails; but am sticking with the KISS / Shoot the sucker advice I read all the time. I figure I can buy rails later (when wife allows). I already have a 1K of ammo and a place to shoot it.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Rated21R
04-19-10, 17:47
i think it's a rock solid build. had i known when i started building what i know now i could have saved myself some coin. good luck.

texag
04-19-10, 18:03
I'm pretty sure there's a coupon code you can use at AIM to make the DDM4V3 come out to ~$1300. That gives you the Omega X rail, a CHF barrel, moe stock, and DD1.5 rear sight for roughly the same price as your build.

djegators
04-19-10, 18:38
That looks like a real nice setup to me!

Have you already communicated with Grant about your setup?

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 19:08
I'm pretty sure there's a coupon code you can use at AIM to make the DDM4V3 come out to ~$1300. That gives you the Omega X rail, a CHF barrel, moe stock, and DD1.5 rear sight for roughly the same price as your build.

From what I have read it seems that BCM has a slight lead on DD in terms of what people use. That is why I have a preference for BCM. Can you elaborate on why you would buy the DD over BCM? Value (with Omega X rail and chf).....

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 19:29
That looks like a real nice setup to me!

Have you already communicated with Grant about your setup?

I have not spoken with Grant regarding this purchase. I have been regularly viewing his website waiting to see when the BCM lowers would be available. They were in stock when I checked a couple of hours ago.

Do you recommend that I call him tomorrow before I order?

Back to a little heming / hawing as TEXAG pointed out the DDM4V3 for the same price with more features on the AIM Surplus site. According to "the chart" the DD should be as good as the BCM I am considering.

PrivateCitizen
04-19-10, 19:45
Solid.

Not sure I'd get the Tritium or the 212A, kinda spendy out of the gate.

But if you are comfortable with the coin, this looks good. If my first AR had been like this I'd have it today.

Having a verbal from G&R would be a plus.

Kudos for having the ammo on hand. Most seem to buy right up to their cash limit and the only range time it gets is Friday night in the loving room showing it to the buddies.

Ahku
04-19-10, 19:54
I can't speak for BCM, but I bought my first AR and it is a DD XVM. Which is essentialy the same as the M4v3, but the v3 has the upgraded rail, stock, vfg, etc.

It is a quality build and i've been very happy with it, especially for the price.

Good luck!

tat2
04-19-10, 20:08
That looks like a nice rig, but for $1400 you could get a Noveske Basic Recce....
Its a complete factory gun and I could not be happier with mine.

T

djegators
04-19-10, 20:19
That looks like a nice rig, but for $1400 you could get a Noveske Basic Recce....
Its a complete factory gun and I could not be happier with mine.

T

That IS a great option.

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 20:26
Solid.

Not sure I'd get the Tritium or the 212A, kinda spendy out of the gate.

But if you are comfortable with the coin, this looks good. If my first AR had been like this I'd have it today.

Having a verbal from G&R would be a plus.

Kudos for having the ammo on hand. Most seem to buy right up to their cash limit and the only range time it gets is Friday night in the loving room showing it to the buddies.

<LOL> on the "only range time it gets if Friday night in the loving room showing it to the buddies". I'll be showing it to my buddies when we are at the range. Gonna have to get them to pay me back for the rounds down range in beer when we are done! I don't expect that 1K rounds to last more than 2 - 3 trips to the range.

Any feedback on a Daniels Defence M4V3? Thanks to info on another thread I found that at Clyde Armory for $1179. Don't know why I think BCM is the "cats ass" over DD. I also look at Noveske when I get close to this price point but don't know why I want to spend a few hundred more on one when I can buy extra mags and ammo for the beast.

djegators
04-19-10, 20:29
FWIW, you can get a complete Noveske Recce Basic shipped for $1475....

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 20:34
FWIW, you can get a complete Noveske Recce Basic shipped for $1475....

Do you think it is worth the extra bucks? If so could you please elaborate as this is my first experience with a "black rifle". I have shot G-3's, MP5's, and AK-47's... but have always wanted an AR. If I could own two of these kinds of weapons I would track down an HK MP5 as that was one nice shooting gun!

djegators
04-19-10, 20:39
Do you think it is worth the extra bucks? If so could you please elaborate as this is my first experience with a "black rifle". I have shot G-3's, MP5's, and AK-47's... but have always wanted an AR. If I could own two of these kinds of weapons I would track down an HK MP5 as that was one nice shooting gun!

Depends on what you want. Absolutely nothing wrong with BCM or DD. Noveske may be a bit prettier, but it is still built to run hard like the others. Noveske may make the best barrels (if you were getting the BCM with cold forged barrel, your package would be within a few bucks of the Noveske). Seriously, you cannot make a bad decision, just saying that is in your price range, and is a damn nice carbine.

PA1911
04-19-10, 20:47
I have been very happy with my Daniel Defense M4v3. I researched long and hard for my first AR. I am very glad I went with this one. Great build quality, nice accessories, and its been flawless so far. You should give it a look

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/9193/dscf0034uv.jpg

PrivateCitizen
04-19-10, 20:51
Do you think it is worth the extra bucks?

DD, Noveske, BCM

There is no wrong answer in the 3, only personal particulars.

On a first AR, or any AR really, you'd be hard pressed to blame any short coming on any of the trio.

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 21:32
DD, Noveske, BCM

There is no wrong answer in the 3, only personal particulars.

On a first AR, or any AR really, you'd be hard pressed to blame any short coming on any of the trio.

That is very well said. I believe it sums up my "inablity" to decide which one of those AR's to purchase. Gonna look at them again tonight; but I beleive I am going to go with the DD M4V3 or the DD M4. I can get either for $1200. Whats your thoughts on the 9.0 vs 12.0" rail. Gonna have to do some research on the weight. Only accessory I see buying any time soon is a light. Optics will come much later.

PA1911
04-19-10, 21:50
Remember that the DD M4v3 is a midlength gas system. The regular m4 with 12 inch rail is a carbine length system. I knew you were thinking about a midlength

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 21:52
Remember that the DD M4v3 is a midlength gas system. The regular m4 with 12 inch rail is a carbine length system. I knew you were thinking about a midlength

Roger that. Just noticed it while "browsing" some more. The M4 also does not have the CHF barrel.

texag
04-19-10, 21:59
Roger that. Just noticed it while "browsing" some more. The M4 also does not have the CHF barrel.

You sure? My DDM4v1 has a CHF barrel. IIRC it was only the very early v1s that had button rifled barrels.

In your situation I would go for the middy. I love my v1, but I would've purchased the v3 if it had been available at the time. Either way you will get a top shelf rifle.

joeinkeys
04-19-10, 22:04
You sure? My DDM4v1 has a CHF barrel. IIRC it was only the very early v1s that had button rifled barrels.

In your situation I would go for the middy. I love my v1, but I would've purchased the v3 if it had been available at the time. Either way you will get a top shelf rifle.

I am going to go for the middy. Got a little carried away looking at the 12" rail. :D

Not sure what I would use it for anyway! Regarding the barrel on the M4 from the DD site:

Barrel: 16″ Ordanance Grade 4150 MP Tested, Chrome Lined, 1:7 Twist, M4 Profile

Thanks for the input on the DD. Top Shelf Rifle is what I'm looking for!

texag
04-19-10, 22:28
I am going to go for the middy. Got a little carried away looking at the 12" rail. :D

Not sure what I would use it for anyway! Regarding the barrel on the M4 from the DD site:

Barrel: 16″ Ordanance Grade 4150 MP Tested, Chrome Lined, 1:7 Twist, M4 Profile

No problem. I really like the 12" fsp rail, having a weaponlight mounted at 12:00 is the ideal light setup, IMO. That being said, I'd go for the middy gas system and get a Danger Close light mount with an upgraded G2 for the best bang for the buck.

Rated21R
04-19-10, 22:38
yep, if i was to buy right now, box rifle, it would be DDM4V3. smoking deal.

PrivateCitizen
04-19-10, 23:08

Great choice!

CC, USPS, FFL, PIC.

You have your orders …