PDA

View Full Version : First impressions on a NF 2.5-10x32 Np-R2

shootist~
04-19-10, 20:44
Short review of a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 NP-R2, which was purchased for an SPR/DM I'm waiting on:

While patiently waiting for a Centurion DM upper from Monty and a DD lower fro G&R, the NF 2.5-10x32 NP-R2 came in. Anxious to try it out, I mounted it on a Noveske N4 Light Reece to get a feel and also to check out a new 75 grain reload that's showing promise. The N4 Reece shoots better than me ,btw.

I first got it on paper at about 2" high at 100 Yds and fired a couple of groups - then tweaked it on an 8" gong at 200 meters for a more or less true 200M zero. I then re-set the turrets to zero.

I went straight to the 500M gong (18'x18") using 13 MOA dialed in with the turret. The first shot hit, but was a few inches high of center. Several more (all hits) in the same area. Nothing fancy on the group size. I went back to zero on the turret and was making hits on the 500M using the 12 MOA reticle marking. Scary easy.

At this point I only had two rounds of the reload left (75 grain Hornady OTM, 23.5 grains of TAC, CCI 400 primers). I almost hate to report the this because I almost don't believe it myself:

We have a 12x12" gong at 700 Meters which was freshly painted. I've scared it a few times in the past. I dialed in 25 MOA from my software estimate and with a friend on the spotting scope...I missed, but was just over the top - maybe 6 -8". Down 1.25 MOA and the second shot was a hit.

Some days you eat the bear. I'm liking this scope.

Jay Cunningham
04-19-10, 20:51
I have been looking to get one of these with the mil dot/miliradians...

shootist~
04-19-10, 22:43
If you can think in terms of Mils and milliradians, the Mil Dot is supposed to be a simpler ranging system. I found myself converting Mils to inches whenever I tried to get my head around it, so I went with MOA/MOA. I think it's just a matter of what you get used to - it was easy for me to understand I needed 1+ MOA correction at 700 meters.

I forgot to mention the Zero Stop feature - it's simple and quick to set, and worth the added expense, in my opinion.