PDA

View Full Version : Pics of Multicam on the streets of Afghanistan

variablebinary
04-19-10, 23:53
The question still lingering is will Multicam make it stateside, or will it be Afghan theater only.

I certainly wouldn't mind being issued some free Multicam gear. Army Navy stores would make a killing as well.

Notice the Advanced Combat Shirts too. I really like these. I plan on getting some in UCP in the near future.

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/3192/267008.jpg

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/3525/267009.jpg

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/7825/267011.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%202/789650b0.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%202/4883fae2.jpg

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%202/2010eaa4.jpg

Hoss356
04-20-10, 00:12
It's also made it into Iraq with some spec ops units there.

CAVDOC
04-20-10, 08:00
I was in the 'stan in 08 before mutlicam was a thing except with some spec ops guys. I noted in the pics 2 things- the guy sighting the spr type rifle is holstering a glock- so this is likely a spec ops guy. Also in the bottom pic some of the troops have black boots on- did they ce boot issues with the multicam?

CAVDOC
04-20-10, 08:03
also the combat shirt is a great idea I have a couple- but the command does not seem to get the concept- if you rolled into a base with the ACS on they would not let you walk around base with it on or go in the chow hall.You had to change to a regular ACU top - so most troops just wore the ACU to save the hassle changing back and forth

Gombey
04-20-10, 08:21
At drill this month (mind you I am only in RSP with the Guard haven't attached to my Unit yet) a Sgt. said that multicam was only being issued to A-Stan right now. It may get issued over here at a later date. Again this is relayed with a caveat: this is what a recruiter a my RSP site said so if I am off don't flame me :p

jwfuhrman
04-20-10, 08:45
after talking to a friend of mine(3rd ID), who works in the "Army Legal Dept", Everyone that is currently deployed to any Combat theater will be getting the Multicam first(ie 'Stan, Iraq, Korea). Once all units in country in those theaters get the new uniforms, the rest of the Army will be getting them

edit* at least that is what it sounds like to him and how he relayed the info to me

CyberM4
04-20-10, 11:23
You guys have too many uniforms too wear. Heck go back to the old OD. NOT!!!!

9mm_shooter
04-20-10, 12:21
The question still lingering is will Multicam make it stateside, or will it be Afghan theater only.

I certainly wouldn't mind being issued some free Multicam gear. Army Navy stores would make a killing as well.

Notice the Advanced Combat Shirts too. I really like these. I plan on getting some in UCP in the near future.

http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/tt104/vor033/US%20Army%20-%202/789650b0.jpg

What sidearm is that in the Safariland holster? It looks awfully like a Glock.

120mm
04-20-10, 12:29
You guys have too many uniforms too wear. Heck go back to the old OD. NOT!!!!

If I were king of the Army, I'd have a mono-color basic uniform in say, dark brown. I would then issue cloth spray paint to those units which actually NEED camo uniforms, which they could apply at their own discretion.

The rest of everyone else could just wear their mono-color uniforms as uniform of the day.

Unfortunately, Fobbits would want to paint up tacticool and double digit IQ CSMs would prohibit anyone with painted uniforms from entering any facility on the FOBs.

variablebinary
04-20-10, 14:27
At drill this month (mind you I am only in RSP with the Guard haven't attached to my Unit yet) a Sgt. said that multicam was only being issued to A-Stan right now. It may get issued over here at a later date. Again this is relayed with a caveat: this is what a recruiter a my RSP site said so if I am off don't flame me :p

I actually asked my commander if I could wear multicam to our next drill.

His response: "When we start having drill in Afghanistan you can wear multicam."

That said, there is a lot of privately purchased multicam bags and pouches showing up lately

Personally, I am not a multicam fanboy. It's okay camo with some good benefits, but I like UCP just fine, and wouldnt cry if I was never issued any multicam gear.

Gombey
04-20-10, 14:59
Personally, I am not a multicam fanboy. It's okay camo with some good benefits, but I like UCP just fine, and wouldnt cry if I was never issued any multicam gear.

Yah, I'm ok with the digicam....I don't want to have to polish boots!!! LOL!!!

DMR
04-20-10, 15:04
I was in the 'stan in 08 before mutlicam was a thing except with some spec ops guys. I noted in the pics 2 things- the guy sighting the spr type rifle is holstering a glock- so this is likely a spec ops guy. Also in the bottom pic some of the troops have black boots on- did they ce boot issues with the multicam?

Cleaar case of SOF types in the bottom pic's. No covers on the helmets, the velcro in the sides to attach their goggles, .308 AR based rifle non-M-110 so maybe a Glock. The next two have the ever popular RAW, Insght M-3X's and the Elcan DR.

The top photos on the other hand are the good old 4ID.

Armati
04-20-10, 16:03
If you look, the SOF guys are wearing the correct Crye uniform.

The 4ID guys are still stuck with the crappy ACU 'now in multicam!' The Army is flatly unable to do anything that is not half-asses.

rljatl
04-20-10, 16:21
Wonder if that is a MK12 Mod 1 that the guy with the shooting sticks/bipod is shooting?

ETA: After enlarging the picture, the upper receiver and no flash hider makes it look more like an SR25?

rljatl
04-20-10, 16:33
That's odd. In the first picture it looks like he has a plastic cover on the flash hider, but yet, the dust cover is open?

Gombey
04-20-10, 16:51
Excuse the totaly newb question....but what does ISAF stand for? It looks like ISAF anyway.....

Pale Rider
04-20-10, 16:56
Excuse the totaly newb question....but what does ISAF stand for? It looks like ISAF anyway.....

International Security Assistance Force

Oscar 319
04-20-10, 16:57

International Security Assistance Force, Afganistan.

Microwvbleturtle
04-20-10, 17:04
If you look, the SOF guys are wearing the correct Crye uniform.

The 4ID guys are still stuck with the crappy ACU 'now in multicam!' The Army is flatly unable to do anything that is not half-asses.

It's possible that the production rates of the uniform Crye offers wasn't high enough to field both currently deployed units and units deploying in the near future. You take current contract holders for those who already produce uniforms in the ACU cut and give them new fabric. Bada-bing, bada-boom, you have "the crappy ACU "now in multicam!" style uniform.

Is it half-assed? I suppose.

Is it better than rocking UCP? You betcha.

Gombey
04-20-10, 17:58
Ahhh, thanks guys

Geoffrey
04-20-10, 22:27
Any idea who is making these?

Are they Crye? Propper?

I have a full propper set of acu style multicam the pics look like a different/darker pattern than mine.

120mm
04-20-10, 22:49

Actually, it stands for "I Suck At Fighting" or alternatively, "I Saw Americans Fighting".

;)

I kid..... a little.

Armati
04-20-10, 23:00
You take current contract holders for those who already produce uniforms in the ACU cut and give them new fabric.

Wrong!

You take the current crop of unflushed turds on the uniform committee that gave us the ACU in the first place and they still refuse to admit they are wrong.

Quick ACU history lesson:

Crye worked with Natick on the new 'soldier system' about 15 years ago.

Crye and Natick had a falling out over the intellectual property rights of Mulitcam and the Crye uniform pattern.

SOF guys had been modding their uniforms for years.

The Army wanted a modded uniform that would be compatible with body armor. So, a committee of Big Army SGM's was formed to come up with such a uniform. The uniform they developed was designed to fit pregnant females and fat SGM's. It was only so-so as a combat uniform with body armor in 100+ degree heat because combat was a secondary consideration. The primary consideration of the board was how it looked in garrison.

SOF kept their modded DCU's and BDU's for as long as possible because ACU's suck. This made Big Army very grumpy - especially SGM's.

After being offered the Crye Combat Shirt 15 years earlier, the Army realized they needed a combat shirt for use with body armor. They put the ultra-ghey Army Strong on it just prove a point. This shirt looks very bad on fat turds - especially SGM's.

variablebinary
04-21-10, 01:43
BDU's are dead and let them stay that way. The layout sucks, and the material and cut makes it feel hot as hell. There is also a huge lack of utility compared to the ACU pattern

Death to the starch and polish era too. Sewing on patches is BS.

Belmont31R
04-21-10, 02:07
BDU's are dead and let them stay that way. The layout sucks, and the material and cut makes it feel hot as hell. There is also a huge lack of utility compared to the ACU pattern

I always thought it was stupid as hell to have uniform inspections every Monday morning where our BDU's had to be highly pressed with starch, and boots shined to a high gloss. Then directly after formation we head to the motor pool to do motor maintenance, and within 10-20 minutes the uniforms look like shit, and the boots are scuffed to hell.

Then the fact coating boots with polish, and uniforms with starch means they dont work properly IE they do not breath at all so in the summer you get extra sweaty with all that starch embedded in the fabric.

I am glad the Army is slowly becoming more utilitarian in equipment/uniform procurement aside from the dumb ass UCP pattern. Should have gone MC in the 1st place. Overall Im very happy to see them coming around, and doing away with the dog and pony show attitude that predominated the military in the 90's and up until the mid 2000's. Whoever let the morons sneak dress uniform standards onto a combat uniform should be slapped in the face with a leather riding glove until their face bleeds.

Now if they can manage to downsize body armor, and go with a more lightweight setup that would be outstanding. Far and away the most injuries I saw were neck and back issues from all the weight. When you start with a 40 some pound vest setup you are already over what someone should be carrying if they have any hope of maintaining a semblance of maneuverability. Never mind all the crap you have to hang off the dang thing. My 2nd deployment with all the side plates, DAPs, ESAPI, mags, and all the other required crap I was pushing 70lbs just for the vest setup. Then I was on my feet 6-12hrs a day for months straight in it. Now I have daily back and neck pain with military docs who were uninterested in doing anything about upon redeployment. I was far from alone, too.

kry226
04-21-10, 07:02
I always thought it was stupid as hell to have uniform inspections every Monday morning where our BDU's had to be highly pressed with starch, and boots shined to a high gloss. Then directly after formation we head to the motor pool to do motor maintenance, and within 10-20 minutes the uniforms look like shit, and the boots are scuffed to hell.

Then the fact coating boots with polish, and uniforms with starch means they dont work properly IE they do not breath at all so in the summer you get extra sweaty with all that starch embedded in the fabric.

I am glad the Army is slowly becoming more utilitarian in equipment/uniform procurement aside from the dumb ass UCP pattern. Should have gone MC in the 1st place. Overall Im very happy to see them coming around, and doing away with the dog and pony show attitude that predominated the military in the 90's and up until the mid 2000's. Whoever let the morons sneak dress uniform standards onto a combat uniform should be slapped in the face with a leather riding glove until their face bleeds.

Understood and agreed.

However, let's not make this an excuse to look like absolute garbage while in garrison either. A proper balance must be struck between the two, while not impeding any practicality or utility. All service members should look professional and disciplined at all times. It's what we do, it's who we are. It is a cornerstone of military service. As it should be.

ETA: Don't show up to work for me looking like you got hit by a wrinkle grenade. You'll (not you, personally) likely get skinned up a little.

Iraq Ninja
04-21-10, 07:54
BDUs were a poor attempt of converting jungle fatigues for use Army wide. The slanted pockets drove CSMs crazy.

I still think the jungle fatigues were one of the best designs. The problem I have with some of the new designs on the market are the total lack of pockets because we are currently using armor and I guess they think pockets are not needed or get in the way.

Alex F
04-21-10, 10:19

Now if they can manage to downsize body armor, and go with a more lightweight setup that would be outstanding. Far and away the most injuries I saw were neck and back issues from all the weight. When you start with a 40 some pound vest setup you are already over what someone should be carrying if they have any hope of maintaining a semblance of maneuverability. Never mind all the crap you have to hang off the dang thing. My 2nd deployment with all the side plates, DAPs, ESAPI, mags, and all the other required crap I was pushing 70lbs just for the vest setup. Then I was on my feet 6-12hrs a day for months straight in it. Now I have daily back and neck pain with military docs who were uninterested in doing anything about upon redeployment. I was far from alone, too.

We had our 'first formation' uniform and boots that we changed out of immediately after formation into pressed and buffed (rather than starched and shined) kit.

The CQ, runner, and officers/senior NCOs would stay in their starched/shined kit, of course.

The new uniform is ok. Just ok. It's nothing to write home about and nothing that couldn't have been done with the existing patterns at the time (and had been done over and over...)

Multicam, particularly the Crye uniform pieces, is the way to go in my opinion.

Belmont31R
04-21-10, 12:59
Understood and agreed.

However, let's not make this an excuse to look like absolute garbage while in garrison either. A proper balance must be struck between the two, while not impeding any practicality or utility. All service members should look professional and disciplined at all times. It's what we do, it's who we are. It is a cornerstone of military service. As it should be.

ETA: Don't show up to work for me looking like you got hit by a wrinkle grenade. You'll (not you, personally) likely get skinned up a little.

Yes you should look professional. I just don't think that means taking a combat uniform, and pressing it to the same degree or higher than the actual dress uniform.

Aside from starch not allowing the uniform to breathe I also believe it ruins the uniforms IR signature. I know even with the ACU you are not supposed to use detergents with optical enhancers.

Even with the ACU people would get in trouble for having nasty boots, and if their uniform looked like they pulled it out of the bottom of their duffel bag. I never had a problem with cleaning the boots off to get mud or whatever else off, and ACU's are easy to take care of. Just take them out the dryer as soon as they are done. I got hangers I could hang the pants on, and then the top over the pants.

I actually like the cut of the ACU a lot more than the BDU. They are more comfortable, and allow more flexability. The first ones we got were thin, and sewn together like crap but we were one of the 1st to get them due to our deployment schedule. When we got back we found out they had made the material slightly heavier, the pattern a little darker, and double stitched the crotch area.

Oh another thing to get rid of is the beret except for official duty, and parade style functions. That thing sucks as a hat everywhere except that.

Belmont31R
04-21-10, 13:03
We had our 'first formation' uniform and boots that we changed out of immediately after formation into pressed and buffed (rather than starched and shined) kit.

The CQ, runner, and officers/senior NCOs would stay in their starched/shined kit, of course.

The new uniform is ok. Just ok. It's nothing to write home about and nothing that couldn't have been done with the existing patterns at the time (and had been done over and over...)

Multicam, particularly the Crye uniform pieces, is the way to go in my opinion.

Not us. We were always directed to go directly to the motor pool right after formation. Sometimes the 1SG would stand around the gate until 1130 just to make sure people didn't sneak off to the shopette when we were supposed to be doing maintenance.

Yeah the Crye uniforms look pretty damn good from a functionality standpoint. The pants with the stretch area right over your butt actually comes from mountaineering and rock climbing apparel. They've been doing that for a very long time.

Alex F
04-21-10, 14:06
Not us. We were always directed to go directly to the motor pool right after formation. Sometimes the 1SG would stand around the gate until 1130 just to make sure people didn't sneak off to the shopette when we were supposed to be doing maintenance.

That sucks bigtime, sounds like a failure of your leadership who clearly didn't care about their troops having to work to maintain appearances on their offtime...

variablebinary
04-21-10, 15:21
Yes you should look professional. I just don't think that means taking a combat uniform, and pressing it to the same degree or higher than the actual dress uniform.

Aside from starch not allowing the uniform to breathe I also believe it ruins the uniforms IR signature. I know even with the ACU you are not supposed to use detergents with optical enhancers.

Even with the ACU people would get in trouble for having nasty boots, and if their uniform looked like they pulled it out of the bottom of their duffel bag. I never had a problem with cleaning the boots off to get mud or whatever else off, and ACU's are easy to take care of. Just take them out the dryer as soon as they are done. I got hangers I could hang the pants on, and then the top over the pants.

I actually like the cut of the ACU a lot more than the BDU. They are more comfortable, and allow more flexability. The first ones we got were thin, and sewn together like crap but we were one of the 1st to get them due to our deployment schedule. When we got back we found out they had made the material slightly heavier, the pattern a little darker, and double stitched the crotch area.

Oh another thing to get rid of is the beret except for official duty, and parade style functions. That thing sucks as a hat everywhere except that.

I was specifically told the following:

Do not Iron
Do not dry clean
Do not starch
Wash in Cold Water
Hang up or low heat dry
No optical enhancing detergents

That, right there, is a low maintenance uniform. I know it drives some old school NCO's absolutely nuts, but soldiers can focus on training and getting stuff done rather than worrying about looking like some 1980s Army recruiter

The only thing I personally am concerned about is boots. Some soldiers have utterly WRECKED boots, and will not replace them. I own 4 pair personally (two summer, two winter) and I refuse to have my foot wear look like total ass. Plus worn out boots are medical liability during rucks and field activities.

I own four sets of ACU's. One set never sees dirt, so I can look sharpish during certain events and not like I was dragged through a sewer.

I would go bonkers if we returned to the starch and polish attitude.

steve-oh
04-21-10, 17:11

Patches like name and "US Army" could stay. Those get really nasty after a couple of months.

Microwvbleturtle
04-21-10, 18:22
Wrong!

You take the current crop of unflushed turds on the uniform committee that gave us the ACU in the first place and they still refuse to admit they are wrong.

I fail to see how I'm wrong. In fact, I'm pretty certain that's exactly what those "unflushed turds" did.

Let's face it, without the public and eventual pressure from Congress I highly doubt the Army would have done something about the failure of UCP. Congress comes along huffing and puffing, and to save face, the Army announces Multicam is the new standard camouflage for Afghanbound dudes and dudettes. Did you honestly think that the Army would do much past changing the color? In true senior leader fashion they did the utmost minimum and called it a solution.

Do I agree with sticking with the same design? Not entirely. Am I happy that they're issuing Multicam patterned uniforms so I won't stick out like Betty White at a swingers party? Definitely.

cougar_guy04
04-21-10, 21:15
Wonder if that is a MK12 Mod 1 that the guy with the shooting sticks/bipod is shooting?

ETA: After enlarging the picture, the upper receiver and no flash hider makes it look more like an SR25?
Looks Mk 11 Mod 0-ish to me.

variablebinary
04-22-10, 00:30
I fail to see how I'm wrong. In fact, I'm pretty certain that's exactly what those "unflushed turds" did.

Let's face it, without the public and eventual pressure from Congress I highly doubt the Army would have done something about the failure of UCP. Congress comes along huffing and puffing, and to save face, the Army announces Multicam is the new standard camouflage for Afghanbound dudes and dudettes. Did you honestly think that the Army would do much past changing the color? In true senior leader fashion they did the utmost minimum and called it a solution.

Do I agree with sticking with the same design? Not entirely. Am I happy that they're issuing Multicam patterned uniforms so I won't stick out like Betty White at a swingers party? Definitely.

Given that the army has spent 5 billion dollars on kitting troops with UCP gear, this is really a mess for the army.

In the short term, I personally think they should keep UCP for garrison duties, and issue Multicam for deployments, and slowly phase in multicam for all soldiers over the next 5 - 10 years

All other gear like FLC, LBV, Rucks, knee and elbow, and IOTV should be a solid color. Greenish Sage, Coyote, or FDE will do so they can be used with all camo patterns and reduce cost.

I personally like the ACU layout and design and see no reason to change it. Especially not for anything BDU like

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/D34DC3LL/35lvlgk.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3588/hires100221a2860k287cm.jpg

Armati
04-22-10, 11:23
I personally like the ACU layout and design and see no reason to change it. Especially not for anything BDU like

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/D34DC3LL/35lvlgk.jpg

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/3588/hires100221a2860k287cm.jpg

Check it...

The guys in the top pics are wearing the proper Crye uniform.

The guy in the bottom pic is wearing ACU's in Multicam because PEO Soldier is genetically incapable of admitting they made a mistake by not adopting Crye in the first place.

The deluxness of Crye uniform requires that you spend some time in it. Wear a set for a little while and you will see a clear difference. The elastic at the waist and knees really helps for mobility and keeping your gun belt in place.

variablebinary
04-22-10, 21:45
Check it...

The guys in the top pics are wearing the proper Crye uniform.

The guy in the bottom pic is wearing ACU's in Multicam because PEO Soldier is genetically incapable of admitting they made a mistake by not adopting Crye in the first place.

The deluxness of Crye uniform requires that you spend some time in it. Wear a set for a little while and you will see a clear difference. The elastic at the waist and knees really helps for mobility and keeping your gun belt in place.

I've never worn a true Crye Multicam uniform, but I have no doubt they are top notch and a cut above anything put out by a government contractor.

I dont think its really feasible to expect a designer uniform to be fielded across the entire army.

It would be nice to have uniforms by Crye approved for wear if purchased privately. Lots of soldiers are already buying their own gear anyway. As long as it conforms to army standards, I dont think there should be a problem. If anything, it might even save the army a few bucks

Baby steps I guess. We just barely got out of polish and starch era

GermanSynergy
04-23-10, 06:27
BDUs were a poor attempt of converting jungle fatigues for use Army wide. The slanted pockets drove CSMs crazy.

I still think the jungle fatigues were one of the best designs. The problem I have with some of the new designs on the market are the total lack of pockets because we are currently using armor and I guess they think pockets are not needed or get in the way.

Or if you have one of those garrison minded CSMs that goes insane should Joe dare to put anything into his pockets...

120mm
04-23-10, 10:42
Or if you have one of those garrison minded CSMs that goes insane should Joe dare to put anything into his pockets...

"Goes" Insane?

BooneGA
04-23-10, 11:44
I have both the issued ACU style multicam uniforms and the crye precision sets and have worn both outside of the wire for the past 5 months.

I have all but retired the ACU style uniforms, for the same failures that plague ACUs. Worn out velcro, torn crotches, poor layout, etc. Great pattern, but the army missed out on a chance to fix some of the ACUs problems. I think someone asked, and my 4 sets of Multicam are made by American Apparel.

I also have both sets of the crye uniforms. They are heads and shoulders above the issue sets. Noticably more durable and with a well thought out layout and sewing. No they dont look "professional" walking around the FOB...but what are we really here for?

Rick

SeriousStudent
04-23-10, 17:14
"Goes" Insane?

Even more so. ;)

Armati
04-23-10, 20:45
No they dont look "professional" walking around the FOB...but what are we really here for?

Rick

Did you miss the memo? Yeah, we'll have to get you another copy of that memo. Oh, and we will be working Saturday....