PDA

View Full Version : AAR EAG Carbine Operator Boone County 30Apr07

Pat_Rogers
05-04-07, 19:14
EAG conducted a Carbine Operators Course at the Boone County Sheriff Department facility in Lebanon IN on 30Apr-02May07

We did this course immediately after the AK Operator Course at the same facility. Sheriff Ken Campbell has hosted EAG as well as others over the years and is one of the very few police/ Sheriff’s agencies that not only permits- but encourages- civilians to attend, a very refreshing attitude.
While we had T-storms and tornado warnings the previous week, WX for this class was terrific (whew!)
We had almost no rifle related problems. Magazine issues, ammo issues and equipment issues were there for sure, but of the 16 shooters there were 2 Defensive Edge SLR’s, one Noveske, one bushmaster and one DPMS. The rest were Colt’s.
One shooter arrived with a legacy leather bianchi ambi holster, allegedly designed for the mil. I haven’t see one in real life and it was easy to see why. He also had a bianchi double pistol mag pouch, also seldom seen in real life.
Hamstringing yourself with non working gear is a sure fire way to being “that guy” and having a miserable time instead of learning. Look for a soon to be upcoming SWAT article on gear issues.
We had 4 Ladies in this class. One scientist, two nurses and an obviously successful realtor. Of the external general organ side of the house, two Doctors, three cops, one industry professional, one world class chef, retired engineer, one IC, one magazine publisher and one hunter and one male nurse. A fairly typical Boone County class (except for the four Ladies thing!).
On TD2 we had a cookout of magnificent proportions, featuring Filet Mignon and other assorted delicacies, courtesy of Rich Lucibella’s credit card and the Chef’s spectacular cooking.
The Defensive Edge SLR’s were great guns (no pun). We don’t see very many (he is a low volume maker) but of those we have seen, they all work well. These two were no exception.
This class had in it Jim Zumbo, whose comments on 16Feb set off a firestorm in the gun world.
I’ll let Jim state what he saw/ learned in the Aug SWAT.
My observations were that he was not the elitist/ pompous person that he was made out to be. He was genuine, sincere and humbled. He accepted the challenge to attend the course and did so in grand style.
He is a shooter, no doubt about that. He is not a fighter, and most of what we teach was alien to his lifestyle.
He never complained, never quit and maintained a terrific sense of humor. Jim shot one of my SLR’s with an Aimpoint as well as one of my 1911’s- another gun that he was unfamiliar with.
He learned a lot. He spoke candidly with the shooters, and they did the same.
His view on Wed was surely different then his view on Monday.
I’ll allow him to speak further about this in his article, and won’t entertain any questions about him, his performance or any other related subject.
I will say that I- we- had a great time, learned a lot, and hopefully see a way to unite the factions, sub factions and individuals that are destroying what we love from within.
There is an enemy out there, but it isn’t among us who own and use guns legally.
Images to follow on Alumni.

LukeMacGillie
05-04-07, 21:25
Sounds like you had fun Back home. Sheriff Campbell's attitude makes me proud to be a Hoosier. Ive got to arrange a working vacation with one of the classes he hosts......

See ya in the morning, I took the top off the Jeep, so its going to rain:eek:

Jay Cunningham
05-04-07, 21:31
I was one of the many initially very pissed off by Jim Zumbo's blog, and I feel the fallout that he got from that was largely deserved.

That being said, a man can make a mistake, admit it and then try to correct it. I think you and SWAT magazine did a smart thing in this case, and I will be very interested to read Zumbo's article and learn his perspective on your class.

Pat_Rogers
05-04-07, 21:49
Only in the afternoon Fred!
Looking forward to shooting with you again.

Thekatar- I too was pissed about his comments. He is still a highly repsected man in his community, and we need friend, vice enemies, in this fight.
I appreciate your comments.

Pat_Rogers
05-06-07, 16:22
Did you put the top back on? It is sunny out now...

LukeMacGillie
05-06-07, 17:22
Seeing how there is a frost advisory this evening, Im thinking about taking the top off. It will be both quicker and cheaper than waiting around for late summer in the Adirondaks to have a shooting in the snow day:p

Pat_Rogers
05-06-07, 18:31
Ha!!! Good one. This is a great class- not a single zero in the group!