PDA

View Full Version : Colt 7.62x39 AR

QuietShootr
05-04-07, 19:15
Does anyone have one of these? How's it work for you, if so? I have a chance to pick up a NIB blue label Colt for under 900 bucks, and I like the idea of shooting 7.62x39, especially since CProducts is supposed to have good magazines for them soon.

RickE8
05-05-07, 19:56
I have one and it's a fun shooter (of course it was even more fun when ammo was $85 per 1000). Original preban 16". Not necessarily a tack driver but will consistently deliver in the 2-4 MOA area.

You've already hit on the downside: mags. I've been waiting on the C-Products mags since fall of 2005, don't hold your breath. Not bashing them but they've been a long time coming.

If you're into mag dumps, then you're pretty much out of luck. If you can live with 5-7 rounds at a time, the original straight 20's (modified (read new follower)) will work.

QuietShootr
05-13-07, 12:03
I wonder if the MGI lower set up to take AK mags actually works and is durable. If it is, that combined with an all-Colt upper might be the way to go.

I've never known anyone who has an MGI modular lower, though. It'd be nice to get my hands on one and really work it out and see how it does.

twl, interested in a professional review??:D

twl
05-14-07, 14:09
I wonder if the MGI lower set up to take AK mags actually works and is durable. If it is, that combined with an all-Colt upper might be the way to go.

I've never known anyone who has an MGI modular lower, though. It'd be nice to get my hands on one and really work it out and see how it does.

twl, interested in a professional review??:D

Hi,

The MGI lower is durable and works well.

Check out this link to the M16 page at UZI-Talk.
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=86
There's a couple of moderators and some other members who are using our MGI system in full-auto and semi-auto with various calibers, and they all love it.
You can read their comments on the threads for yourself.

To use the lower and AK mags with a normal AR15 upper, there are some modifications needed(ie: machine work) to the internal walls of the upper receiver around the area where the mag seats up into the upper receiver.
This can be accomplished, and several people have done it themselves, and I have some data for machining, if needed.
Same situation with the bolt carrier, and we have the bolt carriers that you can buy already made to the spec, and not have to modify them.

I'd urge consideration to get the MGI QCB upper receiver to go along with the lower. I know it's expensive, but it is already made to accept the AK mags, and the cuts are made during manufacturing, and anodized with the rest of the upper, so you don't have bare aluminum areas in the receiver. And it has the quick-change-barrel system which allows the convertibility factor that we intended to get the most versatility out of the system. And the latest railed handguard system is really nice.

Anyway, I can help you get into this system in whatever capacity you want to indulge. And I can provide you with data and help if you decide to machine your upper.

Regarding a "professional review" we always are interested in that, and we also love to see customer comments online.
However, we cannot offer discounts or free goods in exchange for these reviews, because it would taint the review if we did that.
We feel confident enough in our product that any user who gets our system will write positive reviews and comments about it, because it is a solid performing system.

And if any user is not satisfied with the performance, quality, workmanship, and support he gets from our products and MGI, we will refund the purchase price of anything he doesn't wish to keep.

We make good stuff, and we back it up.
It's up to the customer to make any purchasing decisions, based on his own views and desires.
I'll give whatever information possible to help the purchaser make an informed decision, so he can get the best result for his needs.
All you have to do is call me.
423-746-9019

rguy25837
06-01-07, 22:27
I have a 20" DPMS. I have been shooting Yugo brass cased ammo. Pretty accurate. When I bought it , it came with 7 hi-cap mags frankenmags. I had to grind the feed lips down to get them to feed without a FTF. I load them with 20 rounds with maybe one FTF per loaded magazine.