PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse RBAV/TBAV vs Vel Tye HUGGER??!!

SloaneRanger
04-20-10, 15:13
I am potentially in the market for a carrier...being funded by myself....
I would be running SPEAR/BALCS IIIA w/ SAPI's...

Yup...I know the RBAV is releasable:D

I am trying to decide between the BAE Eclipse RBAV-SF/TBAV and the Vel Tye Hugger SPECWAR w/ the optional 6 rows of MOLLE...I (should:D) have available access to either product...

I would likely only run a triple M4 mag shingle/Triple Sidearm pouches/Admin pouch/Med Kit only so not a ton of bulk. Rest of my gear will be in an Old School ALICE Belt Kit..maybe a Hydro on the back...Want to keep it light and tight for maximum comfort and mobility..

Any preferences from you guys who may have experience in these?..I am aware the Eclipse RBAV has replaced the CIRAS as the new USSOCOM carrier...

Would appreciate any input from you BTDT/HSLD's on these two options..

Would also appreciate if we could refrain from the "What do you need it For?" ARFCOM type replys...as I need it to stop potential small arms threats..same as anyone else who uses BA..but no, I am not MIL/LEO..

Thanks in advance...
Regards..

SR

Failure2Stop
04-20-10, 16:20
I have used the RBAV for over a year and found it to be a great armor package.
The pillow retainer in the neck kinda poked me in the clavicle until I angled it more havily and then I had no complaints.
The outer cummerbund is a little saggy, but I slid in a piece of flexible plastic sheet and it was good to go.
Overall I was very happy with the RBAV as a package.

That being said, do you have to have a full armor package?
I much prefer something like the Paraclete ARHPC or SOHPC. Much lighter and more mobile with similar protection areas than any BALCS/Plate combination armor.

Also, generally when someone on M4C asks you why you need something it is not to challenge your possession of said item, but to give recommendations on the application, and what items best satisfy those requirements. For example- if you said that you were taking a job as a PMC in Iraq and your job required a soft/plate combination of specific dimensions I wouldn't bother telling you about anything else. If you said that you were Joe Schmo and wanted protection in case of dire need, I would recommend something else. I would base these recommendations on person al professional use, but that information would be misapplied if only basing the recommendations on assumptions of your use.

SloaneRanger
04-21-10, 09:21
F2S....Thanks for the response.

I read you 5X5 on the 'Intended Purpose' question...I do acknowledge that the question is a valid one...and I thoroughly respect the vast knowledge base of our BTDT's and Industry Professionals on here and am grateful to be able to have access to their expertise. That's why I posted here....I was simply wanting to avoid the possibility of the thread going off at a tangent due to speculations about usage and the perceived requirement or non-requirement as the case may be...if that makes sense..
I had actually looked at a TT RAC and also the LBT6904B/M, Eagle PC w/ C and the SOHPC but really wanted to be able to have one carrier for the SPEAR IIIA inserts as well as SAPI's...rather than go with the armor carrier/plate carrier..I do already have the armor..That's why I liked the Hugger and the RBAV as they are much sleeker than some of the other SPEAR/SAPI armor carriers..

Now you got me back onto the PC track again.......:rolleyes:.....