PDA

View Full Version : Lone Wolf conversion barrel

williejc
04-20-10, 22:57
Today for the first time I fired my Glock 27.40 with a Lone Wolf C. barrel in 9mm.
Functioning was flawless for 200 rds of mixed factory ammo. Point of impact was the same as with the factory barrel.

This barrel is nicely machined, and I was very pleased. My question is: Are conversion barrels considered a reliable substitute for a factory barrel? Maybe some of you have an opinion here. Please advise.

Williejc

Taguin
04-21-10, 09:13
I hate for you to hear it like this, but there not reliable as the original OEM barrel.
I would only trust them on the range.
-Tony

shadow65
04-21-10, 17:32
Thats odd. My 23 conversion has never missed a shot in over 700 rounds. What would make you believe they are unreliable? I've carried it on duty.

KellyTTE
04-21-10, 17:48
From a numbers stand point, a Glock chamber is on the VERY high end of the SAMMI spec to increase feeding reliability, where as a LWD barrel is on the low end and are advertised as 'tighter' or match.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=928

I have a G17 threaded LWD barrel in a Caspian slide that absolutely would not feed ANY ammo reliably and to boot it would occasionally lock the slide closed with a round chambered. This included a wide variety of factory, reloads, you name it. I could drop in a stock G17 barrel and the pistol would run great, as soon as I put the LWD barrel back in it would start acting up again.

I sent the barrel back to Dan at LWD and he re-reamed the chamber and did a small amount of hand fitting and now the barrel runs great and I would trust it in a fighting pistol. I did not and would not have trusted it before the re-work.

YMMV

Taguin
04-21-10, 17:58
I've ran two LWD conversion barrels in G23 and G23C both of the barrels would hicup/mis feed every three to four rounds. I was running Win SXT 180gr dept ammo. After this experience I would not trust the barrels for a carry weapon.

williejc
04-21-10, 19:02
Thanks for your input on conversion barrels. I'll use .40 factory barrel for social work. Inspection has shown rub marks on lock-up surfaces, and I predict that careful stoning might improve performance that appears to be good anyway. I'll try not to fix something that's not broke.

Lone Wolf advises that Win white box generic ammo does not run well in their barrels.

Williejc

Argus
04-21-10, 19:33
I've never had any problems with the LWD barrel in my G19, and I find it to be noticeably more accurate than the factory barrel. That said, I use it mostly to shoot lead reloads. When I carry, I use the factory barrel.

tpd223
04-22-10, 05:50
I have a bud at work who has several of the .40 to 9mm barrels for his guns, he still has the set-up for his G35.
His guns proved reliable after we shot the heck out of them, in fact his G23 worked far better as a 9mm than it ever did as a .40

I believe one should test their gun to be sure, but overall the concept seems promising.

Another friend has a G35 that I used to own, he has 9mm and .357Sig barrels for it, makes me wish I had kept the gun since it was reliable as a .40 and would allow two extra calibers to be shot.