PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Config

G-lock
05-05-07, 15:14
I am considering another AR build, and I want a super light weight. So I have a few questions.

1. Is an A1 lighter than a flat-top upper?

2. What is the lightest barrel config? M4, pencil?

3. Is the M4 barrel heavy or light under the handgaurds?

4. Are any lowers lighter than others?

5. What is the lightest stock, I'm thinking A1?

Thanx in advance. Jeff

Frens
05-05-07, 15:39
I am considering another AR build, and I want a super light weight. So I have a few questions.

2. What is the lightest barrel config? M4, pencil?

3. Is the M4 barrel heavy or light under the handgaurds?

4. Are any lowers lighter than others?

5. What is the lightest stock, I'm thinking A1?

Thanx in advance. Jeff

2. pencil
3. light
5. fixed? the ACE Ultra Lite Stock- Entry comes to mind

LOKNLOD
05-05-07, 15:46

For whatever it's worth, I just weighed my A1-type upper w/ forward assist, shell deflector, and port door installed, and it was 10.4 oz. Of course it would goo down from there if you lost the deflector and assist. Hopefully someone can weigh a flattop to compare.

-Wes-
05-05-07, 18:30
I can't remember who made it but recently saw a lower with lightening holes cut in the magwell. Not sure how beneficial the weight savings would be, or if it would allow dirt to enter the rifle easier.

The wieght savings between an A1 and a flat top with just a folding rear sight would be negligable. Definetly a weight savings between the two if the flat top were utilizing a detachable carry handle.

Possibly lighter than a pencil barrel would be the carbon fiber barrels offered by ABS (Advanced Barrel Systems).

Hope that helps a little.

rob_s
05-06-07, 09:21
I am somewhat obsessed with making my ARs as lightweight as possible. You should join the Maryland AR shooters MSN group. They have a spreadsheet on there with weights of all sorts of AR parts and accessories. Do a google search for "maryland ar" and you'll find the group.

G-lock
05-06-07, 22:05
Guys, thanx for all the info. I'll check out the Maryland site again. Jeff