PDA

View Full Version : .40 v 10 MM

drrufo
04-22-10, 13:03
If you were going to buy a .40 pistol, would you buy a .40 sw or a 10 MM?

It may not be a Glock but I am looking for a little more pop than my Glock 21 and would like to get an opinion from the masses who do shoot that caliber.

The Glock 20 is the obvious choice in 10 MM and the Baby Desert Eagle clone may be the choice in 40 sw.

Just trying to find out the pros and cons of both calibers.

Thanks

Juicymeat
04-22-10, 13:14
You could always convert your Glock 21 to a 20 with a swap of the slides (maybe even get away with just the barrel, but I havent done any research on that). Otherwise I'd get .40 S&W just because of availability and cost of ammo.

gtmtnbiker98
04-22-10, 13:28
Depends upon your budget and intended use. The 10mm when loaded to true NORMA pressures, is an outstanding round. With that said, most of the commercial offerings offer neutered 10mm power factors which hardly makes it worthwhile. If you reload, then by all means get a 10mm. If you don't, then I would opt for the cheaper and more plentiful .40 S&W.

LockenLoad
04-22-10, 19:06
Depends upon your budget and intended use. The 10mm when loaded to true NORMA pressures, is an outstanding round. With that said, most of the commercial offerings offer neutered 10mm power factors which hardly makes it worthwhile. If you reload, then by all means get a 10mm. If you don't, then I would opt for the cheaper and more plentiful .40 S&W.

that is spot on advice there

John_Wayne777
04-22-10, 19:59
I'm not sure what you mean by looking for more "pop". If you mean better terminal ballistics than the .40, that really seems rather un-necessary given the excellent track record that it has racked up on the street in the hands of a lot of police departments. If your intended purpose is something like handgun hunting, on the other hand, a 10mm might be more in line with what you are looking for. Of the 10mms on the market, the Glock 20 seems to be very well thought of by people who know 10mms. The S&W 1006 would be another good option. S&W also makes a 10mm revolver that would probably be great for hand loaders.

Cagemonkey
04-22-10, 20:12
I might be naive, but with the exception of Glock, I don't know of any other pistol manufacturer that has been able to make a 10mm automatic that didn't self destruct. Any one know of any 10mm autos that can reliably handle the 10mm and have a reasonable service life?

tpd223
04-22-10, 21:10
If you get the G20 then you can easily buy a .40 barrel for it and shoot both.

LockenLoad
04-22-10, 21:16
Colt Delta Elite 10mm is one you might want to look at, one that comes to mind have shot 100 rounds our so through one with no problems, all were hot hand loads, the guns owner has had very few FTF, and he loads hot we just chronograph-ed a .240 round at 4200 fps 75 grain our 80 grain bullet, I will ask him what other 10's he owns he has 4 I think it's hard to remember he has every handgun there is lol. Oh I think Wilson Combat made some too.

kmrtnsn
04-22-10, 21:34
I had a Glock 20 once; a great pistol to shoot, an expensive pistol to feed so I got rid of it.

John_Wayne777
04-23-10, 06:32
I might be naive, but with the exception of Glock, I don't know of any other pistol manufacturer that has been able to make a 10mm automatic that didn't self destruct. Any one know of any 10mm autos that can reliably handle the 10mm and have a reasonable service life?

I thought the 1006 did reasonably well in FBI hands...but I don't know that for sure.

Low Drag
04-23-10, 07:01
This is similar to the :
38 Sp Vs .357 Mag
.44 Sp Vs .44 Mag
380 Vs 9mm
etc
etc

If you like the large frame Glocks you'll like the model 20. I have both the 20 and 29. Like others have said if you reload go with a 10mm, it's just too darn expensive to shoot if you don't reload.
The .40 S&W is already at max pressure to begin with to get reasonable performance, you need to mind the details when reloading the .40 S&W.

I carry Win Silver Tips and get 1220 fps from the Glock 20 and 1155 fps from my 29.

I would recommend changing out the recoil springs on the Glocks if you're going to shoot a full diet of the hotter offerings. (purely my 2 cents)

varoadking
04-23-10, 19:33
I thought the 1006 did reasonably well in FBI hands...but I don't know that for sure.

Those were the 1076...

threeheadeddog
04-23-10, 19:47
As a former 10mm owner and addict(you know you never really get over it you just cope;)). If I was going to do the 10mm thing over again I would just buy one of the g34 length 10mm slides and barrels from Lone wolf and put them on either a g21 or g20. I have no experience with lone wolf parts but honestly the 10mm is an awesome round for a wide variety of purposes and only does better with extra barrel length.

Just an FYI the reason I got out of the 10mm "phase" was simply that doing a 10mm 1911 is expensive with too much PM costs for me. Also, just a personal opinion, the 9x25 would be an awesome extra barrel to have no matter what your final choice is.

Huggies
04-23-10, 21:13
I am a .40 S&W person all the way it is by far my favorite round for defense. I feel from the reading and testing I've done with the correct ammo the .40 is hard to beat for a personal defense round. All that being said as i have been doing more and more outdoor stuff I just added a Colt Delta Elite to the Stable in Stainless. This will be the backroads/ outdoors gun for animals and such. Being here in FL with a bunch of Boars running around I feel the .40 is just not quite enough. I'm not a wheel gun guy so I didnt get a .357 or .44 and Already have a .454 which is a little much for ccw when outdoors. I say do the .40 easier on you and your wallet.