PDA

View Full Version : Closed Folder as a Force Option

mercop
04-22-10, 17:22
For a long time, MCS has advocated drawing a closed folder into a hammer fist grip as part of deployment, especially for IET. This should not be confused with pre-deployment. We teach this as part of the draw because there is a high probability that under combat conditions you may not have the space or time to open the blade. The situation may also have changed from the time you decided you needed to use deadly force until the time you were able to get your knife out. There was no longer a threat that required deadly force, but mechanical force is still needed.

Drawing your folder closed as part of the draw should not be confused with pre-deploying (palming) a closed folder because you have alerted to a specific threat, or you are in a place that you feel the need to pre-deploy your closed folder.

Several years ago while attending SHOT Show, a friend and I went to a tattoo party hosted by Strider Knives. Afterward, we were walking towards our rental car parked in an alley. Because we had planned to do some drinking, I had chosen not to carry a pistol. My primary deadly force option was a Spyderco Military. As we walked out, two guys walking together kind of split up to walk around us. Without conscious thought, I palmed the Spyderco into my hand. We gave them the Sheepdog vs Wolves nod and everyone went on their way. I had already decided in my mind that I would hammer fist the one closest to me before moving onto the next one. Not that the buddy with me, a combat veteran, was any slouch.

We really need to consider the difference between "palming", which when done correctly should not let anyone see the knife in your hand, and brandishing a closed or open folder. As long as nobody sees the knife, you should be OK. I would have to assume, like me, that many of you reading this, would see even a closed folder as a deadly threat during a confrontation depending on the totality of the circumstances. If someone takes out a folder, closed or open, it is a deadly force threat. This is of course assuming that they are close to contact distance, and there is no physical barrier between us.

It really all comes down to the fact that most bad guys don't think they are bad guys. They certainly don't think that someone they have an altercation with is a good guy. Deploying a closed folder and allowing it to be seen is a very risky proposition. Just because you are concentrating on the threat in front of you does not mean that someone behind you or to the side cannot see your palmed folder. Once someone becomes aware of your weapon, they may very likely escalate their us of force as well.

Folders have going for them over fixed blades what pocket pistols have going for them over full size handguns. The ability to be discreetly held in the palm or in the pocket when the need arises. Transparency is your friend.

The truth is that the Central Nervous Disruption that can be caused by the concentration of force on a small surface area with a closed folder is likely to have a more immediately noticeable result than a cut or stab with an open folder. It may very well keep you from having to use deadly force.

It does need to be understood that any use of force situation is going to be like looking at a piece of modern art and asking "What do you see". It is all about background, and perception.

Chameleox
04-22-10, 18:23
If I understand this, and I like to think that I do, you're advocating using a folding knife as a sort of pocket stick, either because its easily concealed in your hand, or because one might not have the time to fully deploy the blade in close quarters. Is this an accurate summary?

The martial arts nerd in me likes this concept for a number of reasons. I like the utility of carrying a weapon that can be used with multiple levels of force, and I like finding techniques that translate well between empty hand and weapons. I also like being able to carry a knife, a light, and a Cold Steel Sharkie for times when I can't carry a firearm, and I like training in yawara/pocket stick type techniques for times that I might not have anything but a sharpie or a big pack of breath mints (airplane cabin?) on me.

mercop
04-22-10, 18:41
That is the idea. I often do a very simple demo at events. I simply have someone reach out for me...slowly at first. I use the same principle based response to move to the outside and defend with the open hand, pen/kubaton/flashlight, closed folder, open folder, and presentation of deadly force using the same movements. Synergy is the key as you know.- George