PDA

View Full Version : Which one fits? Need help!

rh88
04-22-10, 17:44
I'm looking to p/u a new handgun but I need opinions first. This will be my first "tactical" type handgun. I have several 1911's but want something that will fit the following requirements (below). I have been looking at M&P .45's and Glock 21's. Also open to options such as Beretta, HK, etc. This will be my class gun, so please hold that thought for now.
1.) Would prefer to stay with .45 due to current stock of ammo but will entertain 9mm in the consensus says that it is a must.
2.) Would like handgun with the most readily available parts in SHTF scenario.
3.) Best option for reliability..possibly with low to no maint. (also for SHTF scenario)
Thanks for any opinions

Cazwell
04-22-10, 18:08
I'm looking to p/u a new handgun but I need opinions first. This will be my first "tactical" type handgun. I have several 1911's but want something that will fit the following requirements (below). I have been looking at M&P .45's and Glock 21's. Also open to options such as Beretta, HK, etc. This will be my class gun, so please hold that thought for now.
1.) Would prefer to stay with .45 due to current stock of ammo but will entertain 9mm in the consensus says that it is a must.
2.) Would like handgun with the most readily available parts in SHTF scenario.
3.) Best option for reliability..possibly with low to no maint. (also for SHTF scenario)
Thanks for any opinions

1.) I doubt there will be a consensus either way on caliber. I can tell you I consolidated to 9mm for the following reasons;

- Cheaper ammo = I practice more, less recoil = I practice longer
- I prefer higher mag capacity and faster follow up shots to a marginally bigger hole.
- I am comfortable with the performance of modern defensive 9mm rounds
- I wanted gun/mag/ammo compatibility with my wife, and she shoots 9mm better and faster than .40/.45.

2.) Can't see many having greater parts availability than the Glock, but I have never had issue finding parts for any "mainstream" handgun I have owned.

3.) I own and or have friends with Rugers, Glocks, M&P's, Sigs, HK etc and don't know of any that aren't reliable. As to maintenance or up keep, guess it depends on what you mean. I swap slide stops in my CZ P-01 because there are some rumors that they break with higher round counts. It takes 5 seconds and I do it to err on the side of caution. I don't think you have to do anything like that with a Glock, but then again, I have an ergonomically perfect pistol that is very accurate that didn't require aftermarket grip mods or switching out cheap plastic sights.

Regarding a handgun in .45 - I have a friend who has the M&P. I enjoyed shooting it. My understanding from the forums is that a Glock is tough to beat in 9mm, not so great in the other calibers. If it were me, I would pick up the M&P. I liked the way it felt and shot. Of course, mine would be in 9mm :)

CyberM4
04-22-10, 18:47
HK 45 for full size. HK45C for compact. I own the HK45.

fourXfour
04-22-10, 19:50
I'm also torn between Glocks and M&P's. Neither one is perfect for me. I do agree that 9mm is still a great round. Cheaper ammo does make going to classes a little more affordable.

I love my 17, but I needed to add a beaver tail to it (Crimson Trace Laser Grip). Recoil is pretty tame and I love the stock trigger.

I also have an M&P .45. The gun feels great in my hand and I love the beaver tail. My duty gun is a glock 22 and I'm constantly short stroking the trigger. I wish it had a more positive sear reset. The APEX duty kit might fix the issue.

As far as SHTF scenarios, I would have to go with my 17. The 33 round mags are pretty nice.

gtmtnbiker98
04-22-10, 20:47
What do you carry now? Why have a dedicated "class" gun that differs from your carry? That is just faulty logic. As for SHTF parts replacement, depending on your definition of "shit" if you don't already have the spare parts, what makes you think you'll be able to find them and buy them when it strikes the fan?

Train with what you carry! If you already have a main carry then buy a second one and use it as a spare and buy some extra parts now, so you'll be "ready."

rh88
04-22-10, 21:19
What do you carry now? Why have a dedicated "class" gun that differs from your carry? That is just faulty logic. As for SHTF parts replacement, depending on your definition of "shit" if you don't already have the spare parts, what makes you think you'll be able to find them and buy them when it strikes the fan?

Train with what you carry! If you already have a main carry then buy a second one and use it as a spare and buy some extra parts now, so you'll be "ready."

Sorry, I should clarify that a little better. I'm just starting to carry at all. Whatever I purchase will become my main carry weapon when I carry. That is why I said what I did about a class gun. I was trying to avoid the standard buy 2 cases and take a class response. I will be training with whatever I purchase. I like a full size handgun, but a 1911 is not really what I want to carry. Unfortunately I will not be able to carry everyday due to my job restrictions so it would be only evening/weekends. The "parts" thing is exactly what you touched on. If you could not hop on the internet and order what you need, what make / model would be easiest to find repair parts, magazines,etc. Understood that it is no substitute for having what you need on hand, just another what-if thought.
Sorry for the confusion

John_Wayne777
04-23-10, 06:31
Of the polymer .45's on the market the H&K offerings are probably the most bomb-proof...but they can also be ergonomically challenging for some folks. Fixing those small ergonomic issues can take some extra money and you generally have to replace the sights with something useful.

Personally speaking, my first choice for a non-1911 carry gun in .45ACP would be the M&P .45. They are generally reliable, generally display above average accuracy, and aren't too difficult to work on. They even make a mid-sized .45 ACP that is about the same size as a Glock 19. The full sized .45 can be carried effectively with the right mode of dress and carry gear, but most people like G19 sized guns for carry better. They even make a model with a manual safety if you desire one.

I'd suggest giving the M&P .45 a hard look.