PDA

View Full Version : How many ARs are enough?

Warg
04-22-10, 17:53
Hi all. My name is Gene and I've recently accepted the fact that I'm afflicted with BRD and that I don't see a cure in the foreseeable future. This is probably the wrong place to ask this question, but what the heck…(and break out the popcorn)...

Currently, I have three ARs

AR's: 14.5" BCM CAR for HD, SHTF, training, etc.
16" 6.8 for hunting
16" CAR as a backup for #1.

I tried the Grendel thing and it didn't work out for me, BTW.

Now I realize that this may be a very modest collection compared to many among this forum, so please bear with me. I am contemplating assembling two more:

A “high-end” 18" SPR with a Noveske BBL or similar for longer range fun
A 14.5" or 16" lightweight for training, range toy, the occasional lending to my spouse, etc. Would prefer a middy.

The question then, is whether I should put together the other two, go a different route, e.g., 5.45x39, 22, 204 Ruger, etc? Or...do I go with the two and continue to add more :D

Or should I stop now and join some kind of BRD-Anonymous group?

Please help a brother out!

Thanks.

Surf
04-22-10, 18:35
Hmm, I have seen replies here that ranged from you can never have enough to you only need 2 and the less the better because that is all I need to have to carry or worry about if I gotta get out of Dodge quickly.

I have also seen everything from consolidating all types of weapons by category, into singular calibers so to cut down or streamline the need of ammo to one type. On the other hand other think that with more caliber options to chose from, when the apocalypse happens they have a greater chance of having a weapon that will fit some type of ammo that they find.

So what does that mean? Do what makes you feel happy. IMO you can never have enough. Build em both. Enjoy. :)

arizonaranchman
04-22-10, 18:53
I have 3 of them and feel that is enough. I primarily use and carry the BCM now so the other two are backups. All are 16" guns. I'd rather focus on ammo, magazines, spare uppers, and other gear I need than have 15 guns. I can only shoot one at a time and would rather be good with one than mediocre with 15 of them... "Beware of the man with one rifle".

bmwguy
04-22-10, 18:55
Good luck with this one!

Let's see.. You'll also need:

SBR
9mm
dedicated .22 or Ciener drop in
24" Varmint
.308 AR

militarymoron
04-22-10, 18:58
"Beware of the man with one rifle".
yeah - he won't know how to operate anything else handed to him, so make sure you tell him where the safety is. :p

ALCOAR
04-22-10, 19:00
1 MRP:)

Surf
04-22-10, 19:17
"Beware of the man with one rifle"."Beware the man who has many weapons that look well used." :D

Warg
04-22-10, 19:20
I have 3 of them and feel that is enough. I primarily use and carry the BCM now so the other two are backups. All are 16" guns. I'd rather focus on ammo, magazines, spare uppers, and other gear I need than have 15 guns. I can only shoot one at a time and would rather be good with one than mediocre with 15 of them... "Beware of the man with one rifle".

I've well over 10K rounds of 5.56/.223 and a crapload of mags, so no loss of "focus" there. My primary is the BCM which I shoot a lot and I'm reasonably decent with (can always improve). True, I can only shoot one at a time, but I enjoy bringing several firearms (not just ARs) to the range to enhance my proficiency with them. Another obvious benefit is being able to swap component when troubleshooting, e.g., bad ammo, bad bolt, mags, etc.

SeriousStudent
04-22-10, 19:20
Um, six?

And when Grant gets those DD registered lowers in stock, it will probably become seven.......

Warg
04-22-10, 19:21
Um, six?

And when Grant gets those DD registered lowers in stock, it will probably become seven.......

He is? Great. At least six then :p

Veracity
04-22-10, 19:23
Well, I've got five and a half....and I may have overdone it a bit.

Surf
04-22-10, 19:23
Just to add, I built myself a high end SPR based on a Noveske Lower and Noveske 18" SS SPR barrel. It really is an amazing rifle.

Warg
04-22-10, 19:26
Just to add, I built myself a high end SPR based on a Noveske Lower and Noveske 18" SS SPR barrel. It really is an amazing rifle.

Good to hear. I've had this damn VLTOR MUR that I've been noodling what to do with for some time now. Was thinking using this with the same barrel as yours, Noveske lower, UBR, NF optic, etc.

sewvacman
04-22-10, 20:43
I went with the following equation: 4a+2b+c= :D
1 ar for everyone in the household (I include my 4 and 8yr old)
At least 2 as backups/parts guns, and at least 1 of any other one that I can get a deal on or just feel like having.

At some point you should stop buying guns and start taking classes, then you can focus on buying and trying gear as well. Different equation for that one.

djegators
04-22-10, 20:59
Two is the minimum to comply with "two is one, one is none."

Darkop
04-22-10, 21:56
10 in varying configurations.
One Noveske N6
Three stripped lowers.

This is how many you need. Keep building.

Until that day,
Darkop

Turnkey11
04-22-10, 22:02
No matter how many times you think youre gonna stop, you wont. There will always be something else you want to buy or build, or something you built a few year before that you need to rebuild or re-configure. Dont limit yourself to a number, if you want to buy or try something just do it, and dont look back. Im looking at possibly moving to a NFA friendly state in the next couple months, if I do there is a whole new world (expensive one) for me to throw my money into (gonna register every AR lower as SBR, and buy a can for every firearm I own.:D)

87GN
04-22-10, 22:20
However many you think you need or want for various purposes.

RogerinTPA
04-22-10, 22:34
How many variations you feel is necessary, and can afford.

Surf
04-22-10, 23:24
No matter how many times you think youre gonna stop, you wont. There will always be something else you want to buy or build, or something you built a few year before that you need to rebuild or re-configure. Dont limit yourself to a number, if you want to buy or try something just do it, and dont look back. Im looking at possibly moving to a NFA friendly state in the next couple months, if I do there is a whole new world (expensive one) for me to throw my money into (gonna register every AR lower as SBR, and buy a can for every firearm I own.:D)I agree. I tried to stop, several rifles ago. :mad:;)

Changing jobs or transfer?

texag
04-22-10, 23:47
I think I would be ecstatic with an 18" spr, a 16" recce style rifle, a 14.5 with aimpoint and 3x magnifier, and an 11.5" sbr with an aimpoint. Then get a suppressor or two and start working on a mountain of ammo.

The real answer here is optimal # of ARs = x+1, where x is the # of ARs you currently own.

pacrimguru
04-23-10, 00:24
simple answer is as many as you want. don't limit the madness - go all in! :D

Turnkey11
04-23-10, 02:22
I agree. I tried to stop, several rifles ago. :mad:;)

Changing jobs or transfer?

Transfer, to a FPC.

akula88
04-23-10, 06:59
For me :

* SBR configuration -- which I can use as SHTF, Night stand (backup for the 14.5/16)

* 14.5/16" -- SHTF configuration, with a bit of customization (backup for the SHTF)

* 18/20" - SPR/DMR for medium range shooting (300-500y)

* Competition setup - if you participate in competitive gun games.

BigBuckeye
04-23-10, 07:28
For me:

1) Stag 4H with a 1-4x Scope for my distance fun..

2) Spikes Carbine with a PA M3 clone for everything else

And 3 M1 Garands because....the 30-06 is..... just awesome...

30 cal slut
04-23-10, 07:55
Ten.

With spare BCG and parts for each.

hitman1012
04-23-10, 08:26
I like twins! I have 2- identical 14.5" Noveskes, 2- 16" Noveske twins, an SR-15, a Colt, 2- AR-10's and lowers and alot of other stuff. I train with one and keep the other stored away. But, since I do not have 2- SR-15's, now I need another one! They are right, as many as you can swing and sneak by the wife!

d90king
04-23-10, 08:35
1 MRP:)

And a nice one at that.;) You do need to add another though...:D

Gramps
04-23-10, 09:02
The real answer here is optimal # of ARs = x+1, where x is the # of ARs you currently own.

With ANY guns, the optimum # is: "0NE MORE"!!!!!

120mm
04-23-10, 09:28
How about one lower, with umpty-gazillion uppers?:p

pilotguyo540
04-23-10, 12:21

My collection is expanding. I have thought about that A LOT! 2-3 lowers and then swapping uppers for the mission. If any manufacturers are out there I would like to see a cover that pins in @ the takedown pins to secure the BCG and CH and also keep the dist out. MAGPUL.... Are you listening?

kickback appreciated but not requiredD

CarlosDJackal
04-23-10, 12:56
Good luck with this one!

Let's see.. You'll also need:

SBR
9mm
dedicated .22 or Ciener drop in
24" Varmint
.308 AR

I've got all but the last one. And I'm working on that. :p

Warg
04-23-10, 13:18
9mm and 22 seem to be likely candidates for me given my ammo inventory. Not a fan of AR-10s, but I haven't had any range time with any that I'd say were well sorted. Yes, I'm aware these exist.

CAVDOC
04-23-10, 13:50
every shooter should also have a basic a2 type 20" or national match type 20" for shooting NRA/CMP service rifle

Pappabear
04-23-10, 17:13
Ya, "Just one more" Then LMT comes out with their 308 MRP, oh but then what about SBR's, did you say Suppressor? There are so many awesome weapons. Accept there is no end in sight, shoot as often as possible, and relax and take it when you can.

pb

The_War_Wagon
04-23-10, 17:24
When I can fill the biggest double-door Liberty safe, then I might feel a bit more at ease... :p

seb5
04-24-10, 09:39
I've asked that question both online and to myself many times. My biggest issue is I love to build the different configurations. It's a hobby to me. I like owning and shooting as well but love to build them. I rarely ever build economy models. I bought my first AR at 22 over 20 years ago. It was a Bushy and I still own and use that lower. Since I've owned between 1 and ten at any given time. How many is enough will depend on many factors.

What can you afford? What do you do with them? Do you hunt, compete in competitions, attend classes, plan for SHTF, make financial investments, collect firearms to leave your kids, or just load them in a safe because you like them? All are valid reasons for having them.

In my own case I am not a collector or hoarder. I use my guns, or I sell them off. What I need will likely never be the same for the next person. What I have pretty much settled on works for me, and really has for quite a few years. I will frequently have others but generally keep these configurations.

I am a cop, very occasional hunter, military reservist,and avid shooter. I have little interest in rifle length 20" guns as I've found a 16" carbine will shoot sub MOA out to 400 yards, maybe a little further.

A good general purpose 16" carbine, in my case a mid length.
Next up is a "Recce" style rifle, Noveske for me but others will work as well.
Next up if state laws allow is an SBR.

This covers my needs very nicely. Even the Noveske is not at a disadvantage for CQB up close stuff with a T-1.

After this it becomes what do I want? A 14.5 mid length because I like it and a lightweight 14.5 pencil barrel becuse I like it as well.

My favorites are the 14.5 w/perm FH's. I really don't see any disadvantage with them but others disagree. I've even considered selling the 16" middie because I shoot the 14.5's much more.

All of my carbines have tac latches, ambi safeties, Giesselle triggers, and other assorted Magpul, Vltor, Troy, and DD hardware. Between them I have 2 T-1's, a Burris FF, a Nightforce, and an TA33, all on Larue mounts. There's also 2 TLR's and 2 SureFire Scouts, and a few magazines in the safe. You will spend more on accessories than rifles if you're not careful.

So bottom line is but what you want. In a true SHTF situation it won't matter anyway. That's not an issue to me. You can really carry only one and if it's that bad you'll either be dead or picking up other hardware from other dead. Needs and wants rarely coincide.

docsherm
04-24-10, 10:00
You can never have enough......Well until your wife finds out that you have another one. :D

I have gone with the number 3.
1. 18" Noveske SPR- Medium to long range
2. 14.5" Noveske Afghan- Medium to short range
3. 10.5 LMT- Short range

This way I have all of my bases covered. Of course I do have a 14.5" Colt as a backup for the Noveske Afghan (my primary rifle) and my wife also has a 14.5" CMMG set up just like my Colt. So I guess I have more than 3. But the number 3 is still a good base to work around.

Stickman
04-24-10, 11:02
How many ARs are enough?

Enough for what? I know that my own needs and uses for AR15s are probably different than that of most others, so I end up with a "few", and I still am not able to cover all bases that I need to.

A general purpose carbine is a good start, but depending on what else you do, you can quickly get into multiples and end up overlapping.

JHC
04-24-10, 12:57
every shooter should also have a basic a2 type 20" or national match type 20" for shooting NRA/CMP service rifle

CAVDOC - am thinking of adding such. In that genre - all I'm familiar with are the RRA offerings. Can you point me to "the place" to get spooled up on such rifles?

[edit: my bad, found some great threads on such right here]

ra2bach
04-24-10, 13:37
I have three boys. you do the math...

TehLlama
04-24-10, 13:52
3-5. Two if you go MRP and can go full NFA.
*just imo*

A general purpose rifle - should be the first one. Add a light, and a durable optic.

An SBR (or shortest legal length). With a light and reflex sight, good for HD. This can be a lightweight.
A lightweight - great for classes, walking around with. Can be an HD rifle.

Precision rifle - an accurate (probably free floated) rifle with some decent glass on it, and preferably an improved trigger.

Beater rifle (can have dedicated 22 upper/convo kit). Can live in a truck, or just be a leftover parts mutt gun. Good loaner

With an MRP based setup, all you'd ever need is a rifle and carbine MRP setup.
One SBR Lower, a reflex and a variable zoom optic. Put good triggers in both, aftermarket furniture.
If permissible, a 10.5", 14.5", 18" with a M4-2k or SF556 can.
Add a .22 barrel and conversion, can also keep a 6.8SPC barrel for hunting.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-24-10, 16:57
1. 6920 or lightweight equivalent. Aimpoint, flashlight, spare BCG. 10+ mags. Done.

d90king
04-24-10, 17:20
1. 6920 or lightweight equivalent. Aimpoint, flashlight, spare BCG. 10+ mags. Done.

Yeah, but thats no fun! Life is to short for just one AR or one AK. :D

m4forme
04-24-10, 17:52
1 full size rifle

1 carbine

1 11.5 or 12.5 inch SBR

that should pretty much take care of all your AR needs...
IMHO of course....

bobbo
04-24-10, 18:03
42... wait, that's life, the universe, and everything. Does it have anything to do with the chicken and the road? I never was very good with philosophy. :rolleyes:

Warg
04-24-10, 20:20
42... wait, that's life, the universe, and everything. Does it have anything to do with the chicken and the road? I never was very good with philosophy. :rolleyes:

I think it depends if one is an indictivist or a refutationist, ie., Hume vs. Popper. :)

hkhunter
05-06-10, 12:34
How many variations you feel is necessary, and can afford.

well, heres what I think.

1. SBR as a PDW

2. 14.5" duty gun

2. 16" for all around

3. 18" for 3 gun

4. 20" for sniping

then you want to have back up of each not to mention a few .308's and maybe a dedicated .22 for cheap practice.

I'm going to say a minimum of 12. yeah, thats a good start:D if you can afford it:(

Noodle
05-06-10, 13:12
The number you currently own+1

JSantoro
05-06-10, 13:54

This is sorta the model I'm working to. Currently, two whole guns:

a 14.5" (16" w/brake) as "duty gun," for training and for funsies.

and a 12.5", for HD.

Both are set up exactly the same, though individual components are sometimes by different vendors. Up until last night (seriously, just last night!), I felt that to be plenty for me....

....until I saw BCM's Mk12 uppers.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/403/motherofgod.jpg

Just_Plain_T.
05-06-10, 13:59
The answer partially depends on what other platforms, if any, you use.

Right now? I'm happy with my two - a 16" carbine with an ACOG and an AR pistol.

But I'd happily accept any donations :D

djegators
05-06-10, 14:06
The answer partially depends on what other platforms, if any, you use.

Right now? I'm happy with my two - a 16" carbine with an ACOG and an AR pistol.

But I'd happily accept any donations :D

Ah yes, good point, so you need a minimum of two ARs, two AKs, and at least one semi in .308 with good glass.

Just_Plain_T.
05-06-10, 14:16
Exactly.

I need to pick up my second AK still, and the .308.

But if I were to not use any AKs at all, well, that would mean two more ARs of varying configurations would be required to compensate.

benthughes
05-06-10, 15:25
I've spent alot of time trying to figure out what works for me and have gone through several different configurations and have settled on what works for my needs ( wants). My 2 main rifles are my Larue stealth and Noveske Infidel in 6.8. The others have uses but don't get shot as much.

BCM midlegth 16" upper with Aimpoint ML2 on a LMT lower with a trigger from a G&R tactical LPK which is killer. Lightweight and absolutely reliable as far as I've seen.This is my newest rifle, my girlfriend uses this one for training and matches.

LWRC M6A2 with Eotech and JP trigger. The rifle that made me realize that piston systems aren't really all that. It runs well but is heavy and has sharper recoil and harder to get back on target as quickly as my others. No issues with it, just expensive for what it is. I'll keep this rifle for when I get a suppressor

Larue Stealth 16" upper on a custom lower with Alexander Arms trigger UBR stock and ambidextrous controls. This is my match gun. It's more accurate than I am has soft recoil but is on the heavy side. I'm in love with this one

My first build: Larue stealth upper with a WOA 6.8spc barrell, Larue 13.2" rail, mega lower with Giselle SSA trigger and ambi controls. Incredibly accurate rifle but I've decided that I'm going to sell the upper as it's mostly collecting dust.

Noveske Infidel upper with VLTOR VIS. 13.7" barrel with KX3 brake. This is my go-to 6.8 upper. Fairly heavy but manuverable and quick for follow up shots. It's set up on a lower I built with Giselle SSA trigger which is wonderful. This meets all of my 6.8 needs.

Noveske N4 basic 10.5" SBR upper with Troy rail and gasbuster CH. Waiting for my stamp.

ALCOAR
05-06-10, 16:43
This is sorta the model I'm working to. Currently, two whole guns:

a 14.5" (16" w/brake) as "duty gun," for training and for funsies.

and a 12.5", for HD.

Both are set up exactly the same, though individual components are sometimes by different vendors. Up until last night (seriously, just last night!), I felt that to be plenty for me....

....until I saw BCM's Mk12 uppers.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/403/motherofgod.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m136/juliehenson05/supertroopers.jpg

:D:D

pccurtis
05-06-10, 17:21

Depending on your application and usage; you at least need a primary and spare that are identical for each application. Equally tested for to be reliable of 500 to 1K rounds. I believe in twins; an heir and a spare. More that that is your choice. One is training or duty; the other is backup spare.

Caeser25
05-06-10, 17:40
With ANY guns, the optimum # is: "0NE MORE"!!!!!

hit the nail on the head.

CobraBG
05-07-10, 20:01
A great question... I only have two and want two more, one for each of my kids to grow into.

zchen
05-07-10, 20:06
16" middy recon style
14.5" carbine lite weight
and a spare upper for each

and I'm done until I can some how get a SBR legally.....

Caeser25
05-07-10, 21:34
I've spent alot of time trying to figure out what works for me and have gone through several different configurations and have settled on what works for my needs

and wants. The best advice is Robbs advice, start off with a basic rifle for awhile. While I'm not a newbie when it comes to the basic platform, it has grown by leaps and bounds imho, since I got out, especially in the private industry. My second is extermely well thought out b/c I am cheap:o and I know what I like and don't like.

Started off with a plane jane LMT m4 upper and lower I put together. I just put an order in for my second, first from BCM, a lightweight middy that will wear a DD Lite(still deciding if it will be a 10.0 or 12.0, nods are next on my list so I will need room for an ir. cheap, nods and ir don't mix well at all), KAC 300M rear, Kac front sight, (both brand new from ebay and less than $125 each) SF Scout (also from ebay and sub $125, deals are out there)

It will wear an AP T-1 for now. I did buy a Hendsholdt off ebay as well for $50, 2.6x, gonna try that awhile. But I do wanna try a Trij TA 33 and offset the T-1, and a TA 44 as well as NF and Trij true 1x's eventually.

The only two stocks I have are MP ACS and an old skool Colt Car. I know I like how the ACS is contoured and fits my right pec and I know I don't like a straight one like the Car and would hate something like the emod and imod. The ACS is too long for me though but I want the storage space but nothing as heavy as the UBR, you also can't mount an ASAP. A recontoured Sopmod, hint hint, wink wink, would be the bees knees imo or a ctr mixed with a sopmod that is the same size and not as long as the acs:(

It will probably wear a rvg that will get cut down b/c I don't like the angle of the AFG but I think it would be great with a pump sg, if I keep my 870. The thumb break(correct term) with regular vfg feels right and I can still grab ahold of the handguard/rail as before the vfg was conceived (not that I'm old enough to remember those days:D)

eternal24k
05-08-10, 10:18
I think 1 precision and 1 fighting would be enough.
If I had to narrow it down I would have:
1 SPR
1 16" middy with Acog or 2moa M3 possibly with magnifier
1 SBR

onado2000
05-08-10, 10:24
IMHO, How many can you fit into a 10x10 room stacked neatly and accordingly in all flavors, or however many you can get and hide until your wife finds out and threatens to leave :D

Beat Trash
05-08-10, 11:38
How many AR's are enough? What a loaded question to ask here!

I bought mine before the mid-lengths became prevalent.

I have a 16" Colt 6920 for general usage, SHTF (whatever that may be) and to get me to and from work when intelligence tells me I managed to piss off someone (I'm a LEO).

I have a spare 6920, just because I like having a backup carbine with me when attending training classes, especially if I spent alot of time and money to attend the class.

I had a 6920 for the significant other, for her usage. Got rid of the significant other, kept the AR...

I have 6920's set aside, one for each of my kids. They shoot them now, a bit. Will give to them when they are of age.

The answer to the question for me is at least one AR for each member of the household, plus one spare gun.

This is my minimum, not my maximum. I like shooting the AR, so I plan on getting a SPR and who knows what else next?

Knowing what I know now, if I had to start over from scratch, I might not go with 6920's, but might have gone with 16" mid lengths. But I can not justify selling off what I have and switching over, since I haven't really had any issues with the Colt 6920's.

For an individual by himself, I would say at first, one AR would be enough. Get some qualified training with the gun. After that, I think the question will answer itself. You may be content with one, or you may be shopping for more.

Quentin
05-08-10, 17:47
I know I'll get heckled but one is enough for me. A 16" midlength, KISS style. It is a compromise and I admit it would be nice to have a lighter M4. Someday I may finish my 80% lower which of course would cry for another upper.

Anyway, for now I do have an AK as backup. :D

MechEng
05-08-10, 22:10
Build them cheap and stack them deep.

TheDude
05-08-10, 23:28
no such thing as enough!

Warg
05-09-10, 22:33
no such thing as enough!

I think you're right. Bought two more lowers last week...

smullen
05-10-10, 00:27
Depends on your wants and needs...

I'm at three right now, with 2 more in the works...

I like to put them together and collect'em, so I can see myself having somewhere between 6-10 with no problem except safe space....

jasonhgross
05-10-10, 12:15

After downsizing from a bunch of different rifles (2ars, 1 ak, 1 L1A1 and a few more) I now have just the one 6920 with aimpoint, flashlight, spare BCM BCG and a bunch of mags along with a ceiner kit. Now that I am getting married and my fiance likes shooting, I will a add a BCM midweight lightweight rifle like gotm4's project lightweight.