PDA

View Full Version : Del-Ton?

Paraclete comes
04-22-10, 18:26
Hey help me out here anyone have feedback on Del-Ton, good bad and ugly let me know.

read a few posts about there heavy 1:9's but not to much else.

thanks in advance guys.

ForTehNguyen
04-22-10, 19:02
they use heavy profile barrels. I never had a problem with my delton middy

sonrider657
04-22-10, 19:08
they use heavy profile barrels. I never had a problem with my delton middy

+1 I have a heavy mid-length delton barrel and it shoots great.

zen_grasshopper
04-22-10, 19:16
I have been running a Del-Ton 16" Lightweight for about 6 years. Other than the slightly canted FSB (about 6 clicks of center on the rear sight) I have never had an issue.

shadow65
04-22-10, 19:17
I've built a couple of carbines out of Delton kits. Never had any problems. I've used their BCG with good success too. Not in the class of BCM, but good for a range rifle.

Paraclete comes
04-22-10, 19:22
thanks for the feedback, do you guys have their lowers, are they all milspec?

pcardinal42
04-22-10, 19:35
I have one of their lowers, don't know about the mil-spec but I've shot over 400 rounds with it and have had no problems.

ForTehNguyen
04-22-10, 20:08
I have been running a Del-Ton 16" Lightweight for about 6 years. Other than the slightly canted FSB (about 6 clicks of center on the rear sight) I have never had an issue.

this is a normal thing on ARs. Even my BCM uppers have off center rear appertures but are zeroed

dwhitehorne
04-23-10, 07:59
6 clicks to zero is not unusual at all. I had a Delton middy that was great for me. I still have a DTI lower and it works fine. DTI rifle kits are a good one stop shop to put together a nice budget setup. I do think with Spikes or DSA coming out with new releases you can piece together a low price rifle with better features than Delton. David

nhmike
03-17-11, 16:06
I held a Delton for the first time yesterday, it felt kind of wimpy and cheesy. The dealer says it is all Mil-spec but I have my doubts. Also this dealer is an asshat and I promised myself I would never buy from him again. I just window shop there.

TOrrock
03-17-11, 16:11
I would wave off. They've had a less than good rep among serious users.

I typed in "Delton" into the search and these threads popped up.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5169&highlight=delton

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5169&highlight=delton

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70935&highlight=delton

And that's just a few.

Iraqgunz
03-17-11, 16:14
Ask your dealer what the word milspec means and how he came to that conclusion?

I held a Delton for the first time yesterday, it felt kind of wimpy and cheesy. The dealer says it is all Mil-spec but I have my doubts. Also this dealer is an asshat and I promised myself I would never buy from him again. I just window shop there.

nhmike
03-17-11, 16:22
Ask your dealer what the word milspec means and how he came to that conclusion?

No, that would mean him talkin some dumb shit and me getting mad.

When I went in there yesterday isaw that he had about 7 AR's. I said, whatcha got there for AR's. He said, all the good stuff. I said like what.

He said RRA, Bushmaster, Delton.

I then looked at my G/F and smurked.

I asked to hold the Delton but quickly put it down. I wanted to take it apart but my G/F was less than enthused.

I do like my BM but know it ain't the best.

interfan
03-17-11, 16:56
For what it's worth, the only real recent experience I have with DelTon products is from SHOT. I asked about their chrome lining, and the girl at the booth said "they're all chrome lined. see how shiny the insides are"

She saw "Italy" on my badge and also said "you guys make pretty good pizza, do you have a Domino's close by?"

At least she was good looking, I don't think mensa will be missing her at the next member's meeting.

In DelTon's defense, they have shipped KAC gear to my office in CA for me. Knight's won't. (not that I blame them)

.45fmjoe
03-17-11, 17:28
She saw "Italy" on my badge and also said "you guys make pretty good pizza, do you have a Domino's close by?"

At least she was good looking, I don't think mensa will be missing her at the next member's meeting.

Holy shit! Hahahahahahahahahaha.

carbinero
03-17-11, 18:09
I like DTI's lightweight contour which is actually medium under the HG. Good concept, not too dissimilar to Noveske in that particular respect. Had one just for fun, sold it some time ago. IIRC as new it had only 1:300 FTF with dirty ammo; I didn't shoot it for accuracy. All that said, I see no reason to buy that when BCM's are available.

Artiz
03-17-11, 18:57
What's going on with all these Del-Ton threads as of late? Arfcom is full? :confused:

nhmike
03-17-11, 19:07
For what it's worth, the only real recent experience I have with DelTon products is from SHOT. I asked about their chrome lining, and the girl at the booth said "they're all chrome lined. see how shiny the insides are"

In DelTon's defense, they have shipped KAC gear to my office in CA for me. Knight's won't. (not that I blame them)

Inter-Milan?

nhmike
03-17-11, 19:11
What's going on with all these Del-Ton threads as of late? Arfcom is full? :confused:

I don't know nothin about Arfcom, I saw one at a shop yesterday.

DeputyMend
03-17-11, 19:23
If you want a rifle that will be used exclusively for impressing your tard brother in law or shooting wal mart ammo into dirt at 15 yards, del-ton is just what you are looking for.

amd5007
03-17-11, 19:31
Yeah a lot of Del-ton threads lately. That said a lot of members on here don't look too kindly on them, but here is my take: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=5169

Its a rifle, that shoots, that groups ok, that functions. But I was impressed by some of the features that are accurately mil-spec, even though they don't advertise as such.

But if you are looking for a serious shooter, there isn't any reason not to go with BCM.

jmac603
03-18-11, 00:28

Are you in NH? What shop?

interfan
03-18-11, 00:49
Inter-Milan?

The best team in the world.

nhmike
03-18-11, 08:30
Are you in NH? What shop?

PM sent

Happypupy
03-18-11, 08:49
If you like Del-ton, buy it, it's your $$.

IMHO there are better products availible within the price point though and a few minutes of searching on here and on Google will yield lots of results on the subject.

KAC Lover
03-18-11, 09:47
The best team in the world.

You eliminated my team tuesday :(

As far as deltons go, there's a strange little shop off route 28 here in virginia and a clerk inside with a yosemite sam vibe going on told me that del ton was used by the secret service AND was better than KAC by miles. To top it all off they had it on the wall for 1K, when you can buy one off the delton site for $750. Go figure

interfan
03-18-11, 12:09
You eliminated my team tuesday :(

If the ball spun the other way and the goal post was narrower, I could say the same thing to you about Bayern.:)

Wilco
03-19-11, 21:09
I have Noveske's, LMT's, Colt's, BCM's, etc.

I have a Delton upper, and threw a BCM BCG into it and it has worked perfectly, and will still shoot better than i can.

Most people hating on it are arm chair quarterbacks or fanboys.

If that is what you can afford, or if you use it as a back up gun, etc, then I say go for it. They have good customer service, and are good folks.

For shits and grins, I used that upper on a Rock River lower (with BCM BCG and good mags) at one of my Paul Howe classes, and it was flawless.

Again, I usually am a Noveske, Colt, BCM "milspec" guy, and have been shooting for 35 years, and wouldn't dis on them.

Dunderway
03-20-11, 01:30

I have a Delton upper, and threw a BCM BCG into it and it has worked perfectly, and will still shoot better than i can.

If that is what you can afford, or if you use it as a back up gun, etc, then I say go for it. They have good customer service, and are good folks.

For shits and grins, I used that upper on a Rock River lower (with BCM BCG and good mags) at one of my Paul Howe classes, and it was flawless.

Again, I usually am a Noveske, Colt, BCM "milspec" guy, and have been shooting for 35 years, and wouldn't dis on them.

May I ask what led you towards Del-Ton, when you arleady had at least eight high quality ARs?

Iraqgunz
03-20-11, 06:30
You know I am really getting sick and tired of people labeling others as fanboys because they don't like someone elses piece of shit.

If you want to blow your money on Delton then good for you. Why anyone who purports to have the amount and type of AR's that you do would buy something like is beyond me.

Let me see some certifications and more about where they are procuring their stuff and I may consider it. Until then I will stick with the known entities that are making solid AR's.

Wilco
03-20-11, 08:36
People are called fanboys because the herd mentality like that exists. Period.

As for why i went with a Delton, I was trying to put together an inexpensive truck/tractor gun for my pops at his ranch. By the time I got finished putting it together, he had gone out and bought a DD carbine.

Now do i think these guns are as good or better than Milspec guns? No. But does that mean that its just a piece of shit, worthless, and won't go bang or be accurate? No.

I feel blessed that I have the connections and money to afford a KAC or Noveske, but for some folks, a 649.00 Bushmaster or Delton is all they can afford.

I have a few Les Baers, but I also have a basic Springfield arms 1911 for a truck gun that costs 4 times less. Does that make the Springfield a piece of shit? No. Just my .02.

Iraqgunz
03-20-11, 18:08
Again, completely false. That argument only works in the Burger King world where people have to have right this minute. For 200.00 more you can have a better AR.

All it would require is a little patience and saving. If they can only afford 649.00 for the carbine then they are better off with a good pistol or shotgun. They won't be able to buy magazines or ammo in which case what purpose does it serve?

As for why i went with a Delton, I was trying to put together an inexpensive truck/tractor gun for my pops at his ranch. By the time I got finished putting it together, he had gone out and bought a DD carbine.

Now do i think these guns are as good or better than Milspec guns? No. But does that mean that its just a piece of shit, worthless, and won't go bang or be accurate? No.

I feel blessed that I have the connections and money to afford a KAC or Noveske, but for some folks, a 649.00 Bushmaster or Delton is all they can afford.

I have a few Les Baers, but I also have a basic Springfield arms 1911 for a truck gun that costs 4 times less. Does that make the Springfield a piece of shit? No. Just my .02.

ZRH
03-21-11, 01:25

It's utility. You can get an awesome shotgun (or lever action) for that price. Why waste the money you could've used to buy an awesome shotgun on a questionable rifle with no resale value? Then you have a questionable rifle and nothing awesome.

High Tower
03-21-11, 10:37
We stopped carrying Delton because of trigger issues. To me, they need to be stripped down and thoroughly inspected before firing. I don't think they are safe, but its your money.

owl
03-21-11, 22:26
I built and own two Del Tons. I'm half way through the third box of 1000 rnd boxes on one and half way through the second 1000 rnd box on the other. Not one problem so far. The people at Del Ton were helpful and friendly. I think if you have had personal experience with any product pro or con then you are qualified to speak to that products worthiness. Repeating second hand information from folks that may or may not have an agenda is rather pointless. Information from people who can only say something is good or bad because they own it or their hero owns it is worthless. Do your research get guidence from people who use these type of weapons rather than some faceless name online. let the flames begin!

Dunderway
03-21-11, 22:41

I've never understood most people's concept of a "truck gun" when discussing the AR platform. I honestly think it's just an excuse to buy a low quality gun show/kit gun. If things ever get serious enough for me to deploy an M4 out of my truck, I sure as hell do not want it to be some bargain bin kit gun.

Why not just buy a quality AK instead of a third rate AR? There really is no excuse for buying shitty equipment if it will be used for defense.

KAC Lover
03-21-11, 22:50
I've never understood most people's concept of a "truck gun" when discussing the AR platform. I honestly think it's just an excuse to buy a low quality gun show/kit gun. If things ever get serious enough for me to deploy an M4 out of my truck, I sure as hell do not want it to be some bargain bin kit gun.

Why not just buy a quality AK instead of a third rate AR? There really is no excuse for buying shitty equipment if it will be used for defense.

+1

If there ever was a situation where I felt the need to pull out a gun from the back of my tundra I think I'd want to have the best I could get my hands on. I'd much rather throw an arsenal with an ultimak and a T1 in the back seat than an unknown quantity like a non TDP/lower end AR.

Iraqgunz
03-21-11, 22:59
Wow, how insightful. Once again it means nothing without details. If you want to get flamed, we can oblige you. If your intent was to stir the shitpot you will disappear.

Many of us have statet that they are willing to give Delton the benefit of a doubt, but I want to see some certs and I want to know who is doing their testing.

I built and own two Del Tons. I'm half way through the third box of 1000 rnd boxes on one and half way through the second 1000 rnd box on the other. Not one problem so far. The people at Del Ton were helpful and friendly. I think if you have had personal experience with any product pro or con then you are qualified to speak to that products worthiness. Repeating second hand information from folks that may or may not have an agenda is rather pointless. Information from people who can only say something is good or bad because they own it or their hero owns it is worthless. Do your research get guidence from people who use these type of weapons rather than some faceless name online. let the flames begin!

Dunderway
03-21-11, 23:02
+1

If there ever was a situation where I felt the need to pull out a gun from the back of my tundra I think I'd want to have the best I could get my hands on. I'd much rather throw an arsenal with an ultimak and a T1 in the back seat than an unknown quantity like a non TDP/lower end AR.

It's always seemed like a worse possible case scenario for me, yet most people act like it would be some sort of casual thing.

ETA: And what is a good price on an Arsenal (which seem to be very high quality) right now? Probably about the same as a bargain bin AR?

Iraqgunz
03-21-11, 23:06
I agree 100%. Unfortunately when speaking about AR's it seems as if common sense is a f*ckin' superpower.

Dunderway
03-21-11, 23:24
I agree 100%. Unfortunately when speaking about AR's it seems as if common sense is a f*ckin' superpower.

I basically categorize it with the people that justify purchasing a Taurus Judge as a "snake gun". As if it were sensible to carry a retarded and otherwise useless pistol for the sole purpose of defending yourself against an animal that one could kill with a rock.

Firearms purchases rarely make sense for most people. Good for the economy though I suppose.

KAC Lover
03-21-11, 23:26
It's always seemed like a worse possible case scenario for me, yet most people act like it would be some sort of casual thing.

ETA: And what is a good price on an Arsenal (which seem to be very high quality) right now? Probably about the same as a bargain bin AR?

I picked up a gently used SGL-31 for $700 locally, for a freedom group AR you'll be looking at more than that, at least around these parts...and I definitely agree about the worst case scenario...if you're at the point where you feel your sidearm is no longer adequate and you're out and about brandishing an AK/AR with no concern about liability etc, that means that there is something SERIOUSLY crazy happening, or you're on the fast track to a date at the courthouse.

ZRH
03-21-11, 23:37
A rifle that shoots ammunition of some unknown type, in some type of conditions, with a non specified amount of cleaning or stoppages? How novel. Customer service that is civil about a non specific interaction? No way.

The only funny thing you mentioned was research because the information provided is pretty much the definition of what research information isn't.

jklaughrey
03-22-11, 03:16

By your standards just because you own a product you become a SME? Great, I should expect every person who owns a Merck manual and PDR to be qualified to be my physician. AWESOME....can't wait to see the law suits!

Happypupy
03-22-11, 05:44

QFT

I'm always interested to know exactly the situation people think they will be deploying a weapon from their vehicle. Deploying a M4 from a vehicle is not as simple as grab it from the back and you're good to go, which a lot of people with the idea of a "truck gun" seem to assume. Anyone who has ever trained for this kind of situation knows that it takes a lot of practice to quickly and smoothly maneuver any kind of rifle inside a vehicle. Even SBRs can feel awkward and clumsy when your range of motion is limited by the interior of most vehicles. Especially if you do not already have it in a ready position when the SHTF.

If you're looking for something to defend yourself in the event of a car jacking or mugging, take a CC class (if offered in your area) and carry a quality handgun on your person.

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 06:21
I can think of a few off the top of my head. I also keep my loaded SBR next to me on the seat when I am alone.

The rest of your post doesn't even jive with what Dunderway was saying.

QFT

I'm always interested to know exactly the situation people think they will be deploying a weapon from their vehicle. Deploying a M4 from a vehicle is not as simple as grab it from the back and you're good to go, which a lot of people with the idea of a "truck gun" seem to assume. Anyone who has ever trained for this kind of situation knows that it takes a lot of practice to quickly and smoothly maneuver any kind of rifle inside a vehicle. Even SBRs can feel awkward and clumsy when your range of motion is limited by the interior of most vehicles. Especially if you do not already have it in a ready position when the SHTF.

If you're looking for something to defend yourself in the event of a car jacking or mugging, take a CC class (if offered in your area) and carry a quality handgun on your person.

Happypupy
03-22-11, 06:49
I too can think of and have had the pleasure of (sarcasm implied) experiancing situations where I have had to deploy my rifle from a vehicle. I was simply pointing out it isn't as easy as some people who use the term "truck gun" may think it is when using it in an offensive/defensive role.

As far as the rest jiving. Just agreeing that there may be a more sutable weapon choice than a low end AR if vehicle defense was it's intended role. Hence the Quote for Truth.

I can think of a few off the top of my head. I also keep my loaded SBR next to me on the seat when I am alone.

The rest of your post doesn't even jive with what Dunderway was saying.

USGILT
03-22-11, 07:02
To quote Pat Rogers:

"There are much better choices.

Seriously, delton is near the bottom of the barrel.
Don't look at initial cost, but rather best value."

For a little over 1k you can get a basic BCM which will be good to go. Or a variety of other reputable makers.

owl
03-22-11, 19:21
Iraqunz, Let the flames begin was said in humor, Talk about flames and attitude reread your posts on this thread. Respectful disagreement is desireable. If your idea is to make anyone who disagrees with you disappear soon you will be talking to yourself.

KrampusArms
03-22-11, 21:22
Edited long winded rant to ask a simple question. Now if one simply upgraded all the critical parts, wouldn't you essentially have a rifle as good as a higher tier? I don't understand these "Lipstick on a pig" comments. Would a lesser rifle, built up with better quality components, be as good? I get the money issue & making a mistake, but lets put that aside for this inquiry.

foolcrzy
03-22-11, 21:28
WoW. this is going well.

I made a bad decision, too. I'm currently working on upgrading peices and parts as they piss me off.

I wish I would have made a better initial choice, but wouldn't think of purposely pissing people off.

I'm obviously new here, but have been trying to learn. On this board, post count actually seems to mean something. We might want to pay attention.

Iraqgunz
03-22-11, 23:16
My internet humor meter is pegged. I am getting tired of listening to people trying to justify their use and purchase of crap. Because theirs is just as good as.....

Iraqunz, Let the flames begin was said in humor, Talk about flames and attitude reread your posts on this thread. Respectful disagreement is desireable. If your idea is to make anyone who disagrees with you disappear soon you will be talking to yourself.

KrampusArms
03-22-11, 23:46
My internet humor meter is pegged. I am getting tired of listening to people trying to justify their use and purchase of crap. Because theirs is just as good as.....

Perhaps you could answer my question Iraq. If a person who bought a "Lower tier rifle Y", was to swap out all the critical components for "higher tier parts X", wouldn't you essentially have a high tier rifle?

graffex
03-22-11, 23:50
Perhaps you could answer my question Iraq. If a person who bought a "Lower tier rifle Y", was to swap out all the critical components for "higher tier parts X", wouldn't you essentially have a high tier rifle?

No you wouldn't.

KrampusArms
03-22-11, 23:58
No you wouldn't.

So if you took a "high tier rifle Y" and swapped it out with "Lower tier parts X", it would still be a high tier right?

graffex
03-23-11, 00:03
So if you took a "high tier rifle Y" and swapped it out with "Lower tier parts X", it would still be a high tier right?

That is not even logical.

Icculus
03-23-11, 00:10

Ok I'll bite at this one. You're idea is correct I guess kinda sorta but the line of thinking is flawed. Why on earth would you go this route? Let's say for argument you already had said brand y lower quality rifle. Now if we assume the upper and lower are in spec; you're still going to be replacing the barrel, bcg, lpk, possibly the receiver extension and who knows what else. Plus you're going to have to pay a smith to do the work if you can't yourself. Adds up, what $700 maybe. Why not just sell the craptastic ar for $600, put $400 with it to by a quality gun and take the money you saved and buy a case of ammo or some training.

Just my opinion

Col_Crocs
03-23-11, 00:24
Lets take cost out of the equation and humor you for a bit. Theoretically yes, but, You'll practically end up with a-whole-nother rifle going that route. Seriously, that will probably just leave you the lower from your original rifle.

This is totaly illogical but I'll play. Doing it reversed will leave you with a top tier rollmark on a POS weapon.

jklaughrey
03-23-11, 00:28

What the hell have you been toking on son?

Icculus
03-23-11, 00:39

WTF? You're first idea of putting better parts in a lower quality rifle was plausible even though expensive but this swapping down to lower quality parts business is just bat shit crazy.

TOrrock
03-23-11, 00:51

You need to read more, post less.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

There are numerous stuck threads at the top of the forums that contain years of valuable information that will help you out, if you read them.