PDA

View Full Version : Eton Radios

Armati
04-22-10, 21:20
Anyone have any experience with these?

This model looks very promising (Eton FR1000):

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=321378

It might be good as a base station for the Garmin Rinos I already have.

This also looks good (Eton Scorpion):

http://www.etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=1517029

Cold Zero
04-23-10, 06:38
Yes, I bought one. I have the Eton FR500 Solarlink. It runs on internal re chargeable batteries, Alkaline AA, Wall plug, hand crank, or Solar power. It has a digital screen.

It is a good is a good piece of kit, for a disaster.

Iraq Ninja
04-23-10, 06:48
Poor reception is the biggest complaint with it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Et%C3%B3n+FR1000&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7081803532572861189&ei=g4jRS5ykBYnW8ASi-JnLDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAg&os=reviews

Armati
04-23-10, 20:51
Great, the Pocket Fisherman of radios - does everything well except pick up radio signals.

I wonder if this has to do with the stubby antenna?

Moose-Knuckle
05-21-10, 07:31
I am currently looking for a weather/emergency/crank and solar powered radio. I have been doing a lot of reading on REI, Amazon, and even Youtube. Midlands, Eton/Grundig, etc all have very mixed reviews.

I really am at a stale mate as to which radio to purchase. I will more than likey be buying at least two when ever I find one.

Any recommendations?

I find a lot of emergency radio owners have never even taken the damn things out of the box to ensure they work on all said power sources. :confused:

QuietShootr
05-21-10, 07:45
Poor reception is the biggest complaint with it.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=Et%C3%B3n+FR1000&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7081803532572861189&ei=g4jRS5ykBYnW8ASi-JnLDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBgQ8wIwAg&os=reviews

Yup. I just tested a Grundig/Eton Satellit 750 pretty extensively, thinking it would make a nice receiver for someone not wanting to put a LOT of money into radio equipment. It receives SSB in the HF bands, as well as the AM civilian aircraft bands (118-136mHz), which is unusual in a radio of that price range. It offers direct frequency entry, a true analog S meter, and 200+ memories, along with a clock and dual alarm function. Sounds like a winner, right?

The good news: It works fine as a regular AM/FM radio. The aircraft bands work pretty well too. I'm dubious of the utility of an air-band receiver for a radio like this, but it does work ok.

The bad: It is deaf as a post in the HF bands. Even with a 200' long wire connected to its external antenna input, even with my HF dipole connected to its 50 ohm input. It would occasionally pick up WWV on 15 mHz in the middle of the day, and 10 mHz in the afternoon, but the signal was weak and barely readable. Switching the antenna to my Yaesu FT897, WWV would boom in at S9+10 on 15 mHz. The Satellit would occasionally pick up CRI out of Beijing if the stars were aligned just right, but again it was weak (S2-S3), and switching the same antenna to my Yaesu again made the signal S8-S9.

It worked fine on the AM/FM broadcast bands, but you don't need a $250 radio to do that. I was convinced before that you need something like an Icom R75 if you actually want to hear anything, and I'm even more convinced now.

Couple this with Eton's world famous shit customer service, and I'd say don't waste money on the stuff, unless you can pick one up cheap and only expect it to pick up local AM/FM broadcast.

RiggerGod
05-26-10, 00:33
It is coming up on hurricane season and I too am in need of a decent emergency radio. I had been looking pretty hard at the various Eton models.

For me this would be more of a back up back up. I have access to a 1w handheld, 5w mobile, and a 100w base station VHF radio through work. All within about 50' or so of my home. I figure the handheld and mobil unit will work fine if the power go's out. However if I have to work both of those are usually with me. I wanted something simple and reliable for the Mrs. to have to monitor weather and news updates at at home.

I like the idea of the multi power source for the Eton radios (AC, solar, crank, battery what more can you ask for?!?), the AM/FM, NOAA, and Short-wave features are great. The flashlight, cell phone charger, siren, etc. seem like more like showy crap to me.

Any other recommendations for a radio w/ those features?

Moose-Knuckle
05-26-10, 07:04
I like the idea of the multi power source for the Eton radios (AC, solar, crank, battery what more can you ask for?!?), the AM/FM, NOAA, and Short-wave features are great. The flashlight, cell phone charger, siren, etc. seem like more like showy crap to me.

I to like the idea of solar panels and a hand crank. I don't need a clock, LED light, or a cell phone charger as those power vampires I don't need for the intended purpose.

I'm looking at the Kaito Voyager All-Purpose Emergency Radio KA500but then again I read A LOT of mixed reviews on it.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/radio/Kaito/voyager-radio.php

QuietShootr
05-26-10, 07:16
It is coming up on hurricane season and I too am in need of a decent emergency radio. I had been looking pretty hard at the various Eton models.

For me this would be more of a back up back up. I have access to a 1w handheld, 5w mobile, and a 100w base station VHF radio through work. All within about 50' or so of my home. I figure the handheld and mobil unit will work fine if the power go's out. However if I have to work both of those are usually with me. I wanted something simple and reliable for the Mrs. to have to monitor weather and news updates at at home.

As a rule, the crank/solar/peat fire/whatever radios are shit. I'm not aware of anyone that makes one that is anything resembling quality. That said, the ability to charge a phone via crank through a USB port is intriguing to me.

That said, what exactly are you expecting your wife to need to monitor? If you want her to be able to monitor your agency communications, you are going to need a scanner of some description, and depending on what radio system your local area is on, that might run you up to $500 or so.

For a radio-untrained person, a good AM/FM set is going to be all they can handle. Operating an HF receiver ("shortwave") is going to be beyond their capabilities unless it is carefully set up beforehand by someone who knows what they are doing, and some instructions are provided.

Are you set up with GMRS/FRS for local area tactical-type communications? If so, this thing looks a little interesting.

http://www.ambientweather.com/miraxtbacaem.html

I haven't handled one, and I'm sure it's not what I think of as quality, but it does offer AM/FM, a built-in Weather Alert using the NOAA weather frequencies, and 5 different power options. Worth a look for a budget unit.

Jeffy
06-02-10, 13:55
If you're looking for a radio I'd highly consider getting a Yaesu VX-3R. It will scan AM Broadcast, FM, SW Band, VHF, UHF, Air Band, ACT1, UHF TV, 800 Cellular and MARS (mod). Not only that but it will transmit on 2M and 440. You should also be able to receive FRS/GMRS and can transmit, with some modifications. In an emergency situation you can transmit without a license. Although they are easy to get. The radio costs $170.

No it won't charge your camera, ipod, or cell phone but in an emergency, that's not important. I would consider getting an AA case for it then stocking some lithium's. The regular battery is a rechargeable but you'll have to keep it recharged. Rechargeable don't store power over a long period of time so the Lithium AA's would be more dependable as a Emergency only radio.

Moose-Knuckle
06-02-10, 18:04
If you're looking for a radio I'd highly consider getting a Yaesu VX-3R. It will scan AM Broadcast, FM, SW Band, VHF, UHF, Air Band, ACT1, UHF TV, 800 Cellular and MARS (mod). Not only that but it will transmit on 2M and 440. You should also be able to receive FRS/GMRS and can transmit, with some modifications. In an emergency situation you can transmit without a license. Although they are easy to get. The radio costs $170.

No it won't charge your camera, ipod, or cell phone but in an emergency, that's not important. I would consider getting an AA case for it then stocking some lithium's. The regular battery is a rechargeable but you'll have to keep it recharged. Rechargeable don't store power over a long period of time so the Lithium AA's would be more dependable as a Emergency only radio.

That's a good bit of info, it will get me going in the right direction. :cool:

a1fabweld
07-08-11, 23:59
Any new info on emergency radios? Since this thread, have any of you guys bought one? If so, what make/model & how do you like it? I'd like to get one soon.

Moose-Knuckle
07-09-11, 04:37
Any new info on emergency radios? Since this thread, have any of you guys bought one? If so, what make/model & how do you like it? I'd like to get one soon.

I did pick up a Kaito Voyager KA500 local for under $50 (that's the only reason why too). I honestly haven't taken the radio out to the boondocks yet to see what it can do. I keep it in a cabinet above my desk at home in case my power goes out. At the very least I will be able to run it off batteries to scan for news/updates.

Realisticly I need to get into short wave and obtain a ham radio license but that deserves another thread unto itself.

Dave L.
07-17-11, 05:55
I did pick up a Kaito Voyager KA500 local for under $50 ....
Realisticly I need to get into short wave and obtain a ham radio license but that deserves another thread unto itself.

I bought two KA500's off Amazon for $37 each. I also bought an external spool antenna for each (I think 21ft. long) and AC adapters for each.
I haven't tried them out yet, or seen them for that matter, as I'm still deployed but I figured it was a good deal for a product that didn't have as many bad reviews as the Etons.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need a Ham license to buy a radio or receive signals, only to transmit???
I was going to have at least one Yaesu VX7R (http://www.aaradio.com/cartfile/yaesu/vx7r.html#) in my primary kit.

Moose-Knuckle
07-17-11, 08:34
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't need a Ham license to buy a radio or receive signals, only to transmit??? I was going to have at least one Yaesu VX7R (http://www.aaradio.com/cartfile/yaesu/vx7r.html#) in my primary kit.

It's not in my lane, but I do believe you are correct. You only need a license to transmit unless it is in an emergency. You do not need one to receive signals.

QuietShootr
07-17-11, 09:09
It's not in my lane, but I do believe you are correct. You only need a license to transmit unless it is in an emergency. You do not need one to receive signals.

Absolutely correct, but there is no reason at all not to get a Technician level license which will allow you to use all the capability of that HT. The test is so simple a third-grader could pass it after a few days of study.

drrufo
07-17-11, 12:13
I looked at the Etons for a windup radio. Bought another brand off ebay, it was bought just because it is a windup.
My everyday carry radio, I use it every night at work to listen to talk radio and the news, is a C Crane SWP. The radio gets good reception inside the buildings I work in, not great but it gets stations that other radios never ever notice. It is 50$ on the C Crane website and in my mind it is cheap enough that you can buy another if it craps out. My first one stopped working, I contacted their coustomer service and was told it woud cost more to fix the radio than it would cost to buy a new one. Honest but not what I wanted to here, I feel that is just a waste of an otherwise good radio.
If you want a small radio for disaster prep or casual listening you mght want to look at the C Crane web site.

Armati
07-30-11, 20:26
I try to be a one battery kind of guy. Most of my important gear runs on AA. I have a solar charger for my AA batteries. As others have said, I don't think you get much out of a wind up radio.

That said, what about some old transistor radios from the 60's? Perhaps something like an old Zenith or RCA when being an American company meant something? What I really need is a good AM/FM with short wave being a bonus.