PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45 FS -- FTF Last Round

556mp
04-23-10, 10:08
I just picked up my New to me M&P45 FS yesterday and blasted 300rnds through it at the range. The last round of the mag would feed half way into the chamber every so often. I took the mags appart and they are clean. The springs are what I would call a "two stage" spring. There are three small coils, pained red, then 7 larger coils. The smaller coils contacting the follower. I am assuming the mag springs are to blame.

Loading the 10th round is a PITA and the last round does not feel all the time. Are these origonal springs or did someone "upgrade" the mags? Should I get new springs. Wolff high power? These are blued mags with a charcol colored follower.

Any info or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

FYI this is my first pistol.

Thank You,
556MP

EDIT: This happend with both mags and will happen almost everytime if I load a single round with the slide release or by racking the slide. If I shoot a full mag it will only happen every so often. I have no idea of the round count on the firearm.

Safetyhit
04-23-10, 12:45
I just picked up my New to me M&P45 FS yesterday.[/I]

First question that comes to my mind is what does "New to me" mean? Did you buy it brand new from a retailer?

556mp
04-23-10, 12:55
new to me as in used

dirksterg30
04-23-10, 15:17
This thread may be of use to you: http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=24173&hl=follower; the 2nd post mentions revisions to the mag follower and spring.

556mp
04-23-10, 15:54
Thanks for the link!

I have read and heard of others having this issue.. but have not heard of a solution.:mad:

Safetyhit
04-23-10, 17:27
new to me as in used

That is a consideration for obvious reasons, especially due to the fact that you also seem to have purchased used magazines as well.

Rather than dwell too much on it, buy 3 new factory magazines and see what the result is. Go from there.

556mp
04-25-10, 02:08
I picked up a Gen 3? mag.. appears to be a stainless body with the updated spring... put 100rounds through it.. no ftf... Ill have to shoot it some more but it seems to be gtg. I also noticed that on the follower of the old mags there is a rather large scrape from the case lips. Ill have to smooth them out and see if it still does it with the old mags.

Just figured I'd give an update if anyone else had this problem.

TheSmiter1
04-25-10, 04:05
I'm sure S&W will send you some springs and followers if you explain your problem to them. They sent me stuff if I ever had a problem.

Robb Jensen
04-25-10, 07:40
With new mags or new mag springs it would be wise to also get a new recoil spring assy from S&W.

Safetyhit
04-25-10, 09:03
I picked up a Gen 3? mag.. appears to be a stainless body with the updated spring... put 100rounds through it.. no ftf... Ill have to shoot it some more but it seems to be gtg. I also noticed that on the follower of the old mags there is a rather large scrape from the case lips. Ill have to smooth them out and see if it still does it with the old mags.

Just figured I'd give an update if anyone else had this problem.

Glad to hear it. Hope it stays on track from here out.

556mp
04-28-10, 14:51
well I called smith.. apparently they dont answer the phone :rolleyes: I'll have to wait and see if they call back. I'm sure they are super busy over there....

Safetyhit
04-28-10, 17:35
well I called smith.. apparently they dont answer the phone :rolleyes: I'll have to wait and see if they call back. I'm sure they are super busy over there....

I thought you were comfortable with the new magazine and the gun's function incorporating it. This possibly because your other mags causing the FTF were used or had issues to whatever extent.

That considered, what do you believe you now need from S&W?

556mp
04-29-10, 21:22
I called smith to get the updated mag springs and followes for my old mags. The man on the phone told me that the blued mags are garbage and sent me two of the new ones.

He also sent me the updated striker assembaly. I asked about that because of light primer strikes and failure to fires with the harder primers.

S&W has GREAT customer service. No charge for anything. I'll be sure to buy more from them.

1911sforever
04-30-10, 07:13
I called smith to get the updated mag springs and followes for my old mags. The man on the phone told me that the blued mags are garbage and sent me two of the new ones.

He also sent me the updated striker assembaly. I asked about that because of light primer strikes and failure to fires with the harder primers.

S&W has GREAT customer service. No charge for anything. I'll be sure to buy more from them.

"...he blued mags are garbage..." I've been using one of those in my carry piece! This is a bit disconerting.

556mp
04-30-10, 15:00
he said they are garbage once they are used for some time... the new ones hold up better.

Edit: I wouldent worry about it if you dont have any problems with them...

556mp
05-08-10, 18:52
Well.. the FTFs became a regular occurrence, not just at the last round but throughout the magazine. I ran the new mags that smith sent me and there was no difference.

The rounds were getting stuck at an angle halfway in the chamber...

So, I was looking at the ramp, and it was machined with 7-9 flat spots rather than one smooth contour. So I blended all of these angles that made up the radius of the feed ramp into one smooth curve. I did this using 320grit paper and a dowel as a guide to keep the shape.

Then I polished the feed ramp to a mirror shine.

After that, I polished the chamber until it looked as if it was chromed.

Then I moved on to the extractor. From the factory smith puts a small bevel on the bottom of the extractor to help the rim of the cartridges slide into place.

Mine did not look too good. So using several small files, both round and flat, I re contoured the bottom of the extractor so that it had a large flare to it. I also rounded the front lower edge. After that was taken care of I also Polished that to a mirror shine.

I figured while I was in there I might as well do a quick trigger job. So I did some work on the sear, polished it and to the range I went.

A week and 500 rounds later... no FTF, no problems at all... and I shoot much more accurately with the lighter trigger.

Problem Solved! :D

Robb Jensen
05-08-10, 20:19
WECSOG to the rescue! Go to hear you got it running.

M&Ps regardless of caliber usually benefit well from a chamber polishing, feed ramp polishing does not hurt either.

556mp
05-09-10, 10:33
I looked up WECSOG...

Nice :D