PDA

View Full Version : KAC NT4 Flash Suppressor/Suppressor Adapter Q's

CapnCrunch
07-17-06, 23:41
Will these work with the old M4QD cans? Also, does anyone have any pics of WTH they actually look like?

Thanks in advance!

KevinB
07-18-06, 10:55
I beleive this is the NT4 -- if it is it works with the Cans

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/KACFH.jpg

CapnCrunch
07-18-06, 21:52
That's what I thought it was... I'll probably be picking up a few to retrofit some new guns for the old cans.

Now if only I could get some KAC FSB's in any quantity...

Thanks for the pic Kev!

KevinB
07-18-06, 22:24
How many FSBs?

For project work I think Dave might make some exceptions...

BTW I did not know they where selling that FH other than mil orders...

grinch
07-18-06, 23:48
ok so whats so special about these??

clynch
07-19-06, 07:13
A word of caution if you are thinking of using these with old cans...

I'm not sure what you mean by "old", but the NT4 (or whatever they're calling it now) is slightly different - Specifically, the " cam notch" at the front of the Compensator is blind and shallower than the cam notch on std. M4QD Compensators... The pin inside the suppressor that orients the can to the notch may need to be shortened for legacy cans to work on the newer compensator.

If you need more info or I'm not making sense let me know.

ok so whats so special about these??

They were designed to provide all the benefits (felt recoil reduction, muzzle climb elimination in auto, etc) of a muzzle brake/compensator, and still offer flash hiding capabilities as well (and be able to mount the KAC M4QD can also).

They work well enough, but they are complicated and expensive. When I left KAC they were being made from Inconel (the steel ones wouldn't hold up), and there was no easy way to cut those many radial slots - they had to be EDM'd.

Hope this helps,
Clint

KevinB
07-19-06, 07:52
Clint -- thanks for the info

grinch
07-19-06, 15:08
hey clint how does it compare to a phantom??

KevinB
07-19-06, 16:05
While not Clint...

I've shot them and they are very impressive -- I saw Clint (or maybe one of the others) shoot one during a KAC demo during low light. As far as a non-suppressed goes it works better than anything I've seen on the market for both flash and recoil.
Dave told me that it has about a 5k service life -- basically acting as the initial baffle - that will serve additionally to prolong the life of a supressor that is (ab)used in the field.

That said it is KAC...
while I like Dave and some of the others there -- they dont have a good method of dealing with civilian sales...

clynch
07-19-06, 21:37
grinch,

KevinB is spot on as usual - the idea was that the Comp. would act as the "first baffle" when used in conjunction with the KAC can, and would extend the life of the can when used under extreme firing schedules.

Also, as KevinB mentioned, it does both (compensator and flash hider) very well, but there is no free lunch... While it performs efficiently at its intended purpose, if you want/need total flash reduction you would be better served with a dedicated Yankee Hill, etc flash hider.

Stay safe,
Clint

CapnCrunch
07-21-06, 21:39
Clint and Kev, thanks for the great info!

These will be used to mount M4QDs from the late 90's. The customer is wanting to get some new uppers built up (the old ones are getting a little ratty), and they seem to have "misplaced" about 6 M4QD suppressor adapters...

Although the NT4 comp seems like it would work better without the can, I think these will just get the M4QD adapters just because that's what the cans were made for.

Thanks again!

coldblue
07-22-06, 15:00
Be advised, the real old M4 QD's are not compatible with the USSOCOM standardized QD Compensators and Suppressors that they have been buying since about 1996. I.e., like the ones we build today.
Prior to that, M4 QD "latch plates" had round side pieces welded to a top connector. The "newer" ones (i.e., since 1996) have "square" sides formed from a single plate.
These really old suppressors most likely have a "star" formed in their muzzles as well.
I know that there are some "lose" supressors of this really old type out there, but be warned, that muzzle compensators for them are going to be near impossible to obtain.
By the way, the photo above that KB posted shows our "so to speak" newest style (actually from about 2 or 3 years ago when we USSOCOM solicited additional suppressors). They were never produced in quantity, just in test sample lots. However, they were interoperable with the bulk of suppressors USSOCOM had at the time, and the newer QDSS NT4 models (that won the second USSOCM competition about 2 or 3 years ago).
I refer to this newer one an "E3." And although evaluated by USSOCOM during that competition, they decided to stick with the style thety were used to. Par tof that decision was based on the 15,000 round life requirement being met with the QDSS NT4 while using our standard Muzzle Compensator.

CapnCrunch
07-23-06, 02:49
Col. Lutz, IIRC, the earliest of the cans are from 1998. Thanks for the info, it is much appreciated. I'd also like to welcome you to the site, and look forward to your future posts.

ic_guerrero
08-13-06, 23:24
Is the NT4 the only mount that KAC makes for the KAC M4QD suppressor

Derek_Connor
07-28-07, 17:33
Be advised, the real old M4 QD's are not compatible with the USSOCOM standardized QD Compensators and Suppressors that they have been buying since about 1996. I.e., like the ones we build today.
Prior to that, M4 QD "latch plates" had round side pieces welded to a top connector. The "newer" ones (i.e., since 1996) have "square" sides formed from a single plate.
These really old suppressors most likely have a "star" formed in their muzzles as well.
I know that there are some "lose" supressors of this really old type out there, but be warned, that muzzle compensators for them are going to be near impossible to obtain.
By the way, the photo above that KB posted shows our "so to speak" newest style (actually from about 2 or 3 years ago when we USSOCOM solicited additional suppressors). They were never produced in quantity, just in test sample lots. However, they were interoperable with the bulk of suppressors USSOCOM had at the time, and the newer QDSS NT4 models (that won the second USSOCM competition about 2 or 3 years ago).
I refer to this newer one an "E3." And although evaluated by USSOCOM during that competition, they decided to stick with the style thety were used to. Par tof that decision was based on the 15,000 round life requirement being met with the QDSS NT4 while using our standard Muzzle Compensator.

I hate to revive a year old thread, but I have an important/pressing question to ask.

Coldblue/Clynch - I have one of these older M4QD's sitting at my SOT right now, Long story short I was having my upper built/assembled (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6070) and the package been "misplaced" by fedex.

Do I now have a Knights Can rendered useless due to that flash hider being lost?

This being the can and FH I have:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2567/kaczl3.jpg

coldblue
07-29-07, 08:25
I have not seen any of the original M4 QD "round peg" (my terminolgy) compensator/flash suppressors in many years. They have not been manufactured for more than 10 years now. When USOCOM adopted our M4 QD. it was the model with the "square profile pegs." And we have produced way more than 100,000 of those and continue to do so...
I also know that about every year or so this becomes an issue as I think the one or two of these type sound suppressors keep being passed around--the "new" buyer being unaware of the QD compensator (or lack there of...) issue, but search after search through our inventory has not yielded any results.
I sincerely regret the situation you find yourself in.

AR15barrels
07-29-07, 12:49
I have not seen any of the original M4 QD "round peg" (my terminolgy) compensator/flash suppressors in many years. They have not been manufactured for more than 10 years now. When USOCOM adopted our M4 QD. it was the model with the "square profile pegs." And we have produced way more than 100,000 of those and continue to do so...

Moral of the story is that a round peg does not fit in a square hole... :eek:

Would it be possible to take the square peg mount and make proper round grooves on the side with an appropriately radiused wheel on a surface grinder or are the square pegs larger than the original round pegs so there is not enough stock to grind from?