PDA

View Full Version : Good Pic (no idea of its provenance)

Amicus
04-23-10, 13:25
Fellow BoD member of a local club sent this out. I have no idea if it is old or new. The text accompanying the pic follows.

Ralph, My neighbor is a "lefty" of sorts (Obama bumper stickers, gung-ho
socialized medicine, "guns should be banned", etc.). So last week I put this
sign up in my yard after one of his anti-gun rants at a neighborhood cocktail party.
The sign wasn't up more than an hour before he called the police and wanted
them to make me take down the sign. Fortunately, the officer politely informed
him that it was not their job to take such action without a court order and that he
had to file a complaint "downtown" first, which would be reviewed by the city
attorney to see if it violated any city, county, or state ordinances, which if there
was a violation a court order would be sent to the offending party (me) to
"remove the sign in seven days".
After several weeks he was informed that the sign was legal (by a quarter of an
inch) and there was nothing the city could do, which obviously made him madder.
I tried to smooth things over by inviting him to go shooting with me and my
friends at the hunt club but that seemed to make him even more angry. I then
asked him if he wanted to go to a Tea Party rally but again he declined my outreach efforts
to bring about a better understanding between political and social opponents.
I am at a loss how to reconcile our long relationship (notice I did
not say friendship), any suggestions would be welcome.

Anyway, that's life in our neck of the woods, how's about yours?

Littlelebowski
04-23-10, 13:27
Obvious fake.

Amicus
04-23-10, 13:35
Obvious fake.

I'm not good at this. What is obvious about its fakery? The colors of the background flowers seem a bit fishy, otherwise I can't tell. I'd like to spot "shopped" photos, but have no idea what to look for (except weird and incongruous shadows and the like).

Littlelebowski
04-23-10, 13:36
I don't know how to tell you what I see but it's glaringly pasted on there to my eyes.

Littlelebowski
04-23-10, 13:38
Oh wait. The lighting.

HeavyDuty
04-23-10, 13:42
The sign is too square. Funny, though!

rickrock305
04-23-10, 15:44
yea, the sign is obviously photoshopped.

Mac5.56
04-23-10, 15:56
OP,

Look at the blue on the sign, get really really close to the screen. You will notice a break up of the pixels, little squares that are of slightly lighter/darker color then their neighbors. Then, look at the grass, and flowers. Notice no pixels, but the image is in focus.

The person that made this inserted a small DPI image into a large DPI image, then resized it accordingly while in the larger image of the house. Also another indicator is the where the sign meets the grass. Way to clean, and if you zoomed in you wouldn't see any actual overlap of grass against the sign posts itself.

As for the image/idea/statement. I don't think it's funny at all. But to each their own.

bkb0000
04-23-10, 16:06
the text is perfectly parallel to the borders of the picture... just seems photoshopped.

as to whether or not one should do such a thing to thy neighbor, i suppose it depends on the degree of the offense the neighbor gave first. i think i'd probably rather just sneak a sign that says "gun free zone" into their yard late at night, maybe in a semi inconspicuous spot in the hopes they wouldn't notice it and take it down right away, somehow... but i wouldn't want to be responsible for their house actually getting busted into, and people getting hurt, by leaving it in my own yard and refusing to take it down.

would be funny, though.

RogerinTPA
04-23-10, 16:32
That pic has been out for a while, but it's still funny though. I was contemplating make one for my hippie neighbors.;)

Safetyhit
04-23-10, 18:01
I don't know how to tell you what I see but it's glaringly pasted on there to my eyes.

Mine too. :D

Macx
04-23-10, 18:20
Photoshop - Yes

Funny - Yes

Worth the time it took me to reply - yeah, I am just dragging my feet to go on a grocery run. . . trying to think what isn't on the list but should be. It is good to have a chuckle at time like these.

Complication
04-23-10, 18:35
I'm not good at this. What is obvious about its fakery? The colors of the background flowers seem a bit fishy, otherwise I can't tell. I'd like to spot "shopped" photos, but have no idea what to look for (except weird and incongruous shadows and the like).

In addition to the factors which make it stand out as a fake mentioned above, you can use photoshop filters and effects to determine exactly how and where a digital image was altered: http://www.hackerfactor.com/blog/index.php?/archives/322-Body-By-Victoria.html

If you've got access to Photoshop, or a free photo editing program like GIMP, you can run your own photo-forensics on digital photography and PROVE it was faked (via the methods mentioned in the article linked above). Besides the obvious asshattery involved in the recent fake SEAL-outing and checking his story against records, you can look at that retarded photo where his face has obviously been pasted over some other fellow's and PROVE it was faked beyond just saying it looks a bad photoshop job.