PDA

View Full Version : KAC SR15 E3 and Low Cost Ammo

230therapy
04-23-10, 17:46
I just acquired a new Knights Armament SR15 E3. While I will use quality ammo for defensive purposes, there is also the need for low cost range/plinking ammunition. Tula 223 (55 grain FMJ) is currently $215 per 1000. I see Wolf (55 grain FMJ) at $270 per 1000. I want to run this ammo IN ADDITION to quality brass ammunition. I plan upon running brass for training and using high quality ammunition for 200+ yard shooting.

I understand that steel cased ammo can be a problem. I have reviewed Tactical Yellow Visor's "Wolf Ammo - How To".

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/116021.html

Do I need to do anything mentioned in that article to my SR15? Or can the gun just handle it out of the box? What other recommendations do you have?

Littlelebowski
04-23-10, 18:13
Should be fine with that dual spring extractor. What optic are you going with?

GermanSynergy
04-23-10, 18:30
I shoot mine with Hornady 55 grain steel cased training ammunition. No issues.

230therapy
04-23-10, 20:39
MK 1 Human Eyeball for now.

ACOG RCO for M4 on a LaRue mount to follow at some point.

pacrimguru
04-24-10, 06:10
i blast away with brown bear with no problems whatsoever.

rob_s
04-24-10, 07:06
Most of the things in the "how to shoot Wolf" article are unnecessary or impossible on the SR15, FWIW.

I shot only XM193 through the gun I wrote about in SWAT. If I had it for longer I would have put some Wolf through it but didn't get to it.

In theory I would have concerns about the long gas tube and generally soft recoil impulse of the SR15 translating to cycling trouble with low-powered ammo, but if owners are saying they are running well then I would have no reservations.

Robb Jensen
04-24-10, 08:00
I sold a SR15E3 to one of our 'clicked on' customers the other day. He shot a few different kinds of rounds through it. It ran 100% on everything he shot including PMC weak ass 55gr FMJ. It put 3 rounds all touching at 50yds with an Aimpoint ML3 using PMC.

mtdawg169
04-24-10, 08:01
I had issues with both of mine shooting .223 spec Centurion brass cased ammo. They short stroked on a regular basis. I sold off both of my uppers and built an upper on an N4 barrel to replace them. The N4 is heavier and doesn't shoot as smoothly as my E3's did, so now I find myself wanting one again. The only knock I really had against them was poor reliability with low-powered ammo.

Robb Jensen
04-24-10, 08:37
I had issues with both of mine shooting .223 spec Centurion brass cased ammo. They short stroked on a regular basis. I sold off both of my uppers and built an upper on an N4 barrel to replace them. The N4 is heavier and doesn't shoot as smoothly as my E3's did, so now I find myself wanting one again. The only knock I really had against them was poor reliability with low-powered ammo.

I haven't heard of anyone running Centurion trouble-free in any gun. I'm not talking a mag or two I'm talking trouble free in 1K rounds.

hitman1012
04-24-10, 08:54
I have one and I would not say it is finiky at all but it does malfunction with some ammo. I have some 62 grain Remington ammo that it was short stroking with. The same day I loaded a few mags of the same ammo in my Noveske and it ate it up without a problem. I have never had it malfunction with any other ammo though. I do not shot Wolf though. They are amazingly smooth shootings guns.

mtdawg169
04-24-10, 09:32
I haven't heard of anyone running Centurion trouble-free in any gun. I'm not talking a mag or two I'm talking trouble free in 1K rounds.

That is interesting. I had not heard that. I've been through a couple thousand rounds in my E3's and my n4 upper & I'm sitting on a couple thousand more rounds for range use. It runs without a hiccup in my n4 barrelled upper.