PDA

View Full Version : Old patrol carbine gets new life

Dos Cylindros
04-23-10, 18:17
This was my old patrol carbine, bought when I didn't know any better. My current issue is a select fire Colt M4, so I took to the task of making this into a reliable high end hard use home defense carbine. With alot of study on this site (and others) I put together a build and this is what I came up with. Please let me know how I did in giving this a new life. By the way, 200 perfect rounds down range today!!!

Specs;

Upper; BCM 16" lightweight middy with Daniel Defense lite rail 12.0, I added the new AAC Breakout, but was only able to install it after my initial range outting this morning. BCM bolt carrier group and BCM gunfighter charging handle (where have you been all my life).

Optic; Comp M4 on Larue mount

Light; Surefire M300 mini scout

Other; Magpul ACS stock, ASAP plate, MS2 sling and AFG (not totally sold on this yet though it did feel good at the range this morning), and MBUS (I like them very much), BFG Redi Mod.

Please, tell me what you guys think.

BT556
04-23-10, 18:37
nice looking rifle

Dos Cylindros
04-23-10, 19:24
nice looking rifle

Thanks, it took a while but I think it is finally done.

scottryan
04-23-10, 20:47
I would have not used the scout light and used a surefire x300 on the top rail in front of the front sight since you do not have a triangle front sight.

You might be able to move the scout light to the top rail but it might sit up too high and block your sights.

SpookyPistolero
04-23-10, 21:13
Very choice setup, I like it. I'm in the process of putting together a similar one. Glad it fired well!

Dos Cylindros
04-23-10, 23:56
I would have not used the scout light and used a surefire x300 on the top rail in front of the front sight since you do not have a triangle front sight.

You might be able to move the scout light to the top rail but it might sit up too high and block your sights.

I hear you, and I did think about that, I just like this setup better. I may change out to a surefire rail mounted pressure swithch for better ambi control, but right now I am very happy with the light set up.

I am back and forth between the AFG and the new RVG (I also picked one of those up). I did a few dry runs with the new RVG tonight and I really think it is one of Magpuls best products. The shape of the new RVG is very comfortable, and I am very familiar with a VFG as opposed to the afg. We will see after a few more rounds down range. Thanks for the imput, that is what I am looking for.

Dos Cylindros
04-23-10, 23:59
Very choice setup, I like it. I'm in the process of putting together a similar one. Glad it fired well!

I think you will be happy. The LW barrel really does make a difference. I know I added a few things which really pack on the weight, but the LW barrel out front really makes for a nice balenced package. I like it better than my issue M4.

Eric
04-24-10, 04:31
GTG...enjoy

GermanSynergy
04-24-10, 09:25
Nice carbine. What are you running for practice/duty ammo?

Dos Cylindros
04-24-10, 09:44
Nice carbine. What are you running for practice/duty ammo?

Duty ammo, which I also use and carry in this gun is Winchester Ranger 64 grain power point. This is what both of my carbines are zeroed for. Practice ammo is Remington 55 grain FMJ. All State Bid Ammo.

bradb55
04-24-10, 09:50
Nice setup!

You selected some quality parts. I was holding out for the moe midlength, but the dd 12" looks so good.

Great job.

Brad

docsherm
04-24-10, 09:52
Nice. How do you like the AAC Flash/brake? Do you rum a Can with it?

Dos Cylindros
04-24-10, 10:16
Nice. How do you like the AAC Flash/brake? Do you rum a Can with it?

Right now, I have no rounds down range with the AAC Brakeout. I went to the range with the original A2 as I did not have the correct tools (bench vice and receiver block) to get the brake on without maring or doing some other type of damage. After the range, a buddy of mine who has more tools than me helped me slap it on (not that it's hard, I just did not want to mar anything).

No suppressor sadly as I live in CA. and they are illegal to personally own. My Dept. does not have any, save for a few MP5SD's. I bought this brake not for the suppressor mount abilities, but for the brake abilities. It is not available currently in a non suppressor mount or I would have bought that one. Will report once I get back to the range with the AAC.

rychencop
04-24-10, 11:36
hella nice! :D

Ratfink
04-24-10, 19:09
thats a very good looking rifle you have there and i like the light very much i couldnt ever get good with my redimags so i ditched it but guys that get good with them are very fast

mattjmcd
04-24-10, 20:35
Very business-like. I love seeing old gear get a new lease on life.

Dos Cylindros
04-24-10, 23:27
thats a very good looking rifle you have there and i like the light very much i couldnt ever get good with my redimags so i ditched it but guys that get good with them are very fast

Yeah, the redi mod is an experiement. As this is a home defense carbine, I wanted to have two mags ready to go when I pick up the carbine. I am not sure if I like the weight trade off, as without two fully loaded mags the carbine is fairly light weight. We will see, thanks for the compliments.

scottryan
04-25-10, 10:45
I hear you, and I did think about that, I just like this setup better. I may change out to a surefire rail mounted pressure swithch for better ambi control, but right now I am very happy with the light set up.

I am back and forth between the AFG and the new RVG (I also picked one of those up). I did a few dry runs with the new RVG tonight and I really think it is one of Magpuls best products. The shape of the new RVG is very comfortable, and I am very familiar with a VFG as opposed to the afg. We will see after a few more rounds down range. Thanks for the imput, that is what I am looking for.

You will not be happy when you take this into dark rooms and the shadow caused by having the light mounted on the side becomes very distracting.

Dos Cylindros
04-25-10, 11:34
You will not be happy when you take this into dark rooms and the shadow caused by having the light mounted on the side becomes very distracting.

I do entries for a living (I work narcotics full time), and I always have a light mounted in this position. Barrel shadow is not an issue for me, and has never been a problem for me in the 13 years I have been in this business. I know it may bother some people, but when doing entries, my weapon is pointed at what I am looking at, and shadow is not an issue for me. YMMV.

rychencop
04-25-10, 13:13

it should not be a huge issue with that setup since the rail is so long. it puts the light way out there so there should be minimal shadow.

lil'Zeus
04-26-10, 10:27
I'm building a rifle very similar to yours, what does it weight in at with out mags?

Thanks, and super sweet looking rifle!!!!

Shane

Dos Cylindros
04-26-10, 10:33
I'm building a rifle very similar to yours, what does it weight in at with out mags?

Thanks, and super sweet looking rifle!!!!

Shane

Totally empty, just under nine pounds. I just have a bathroom scale though, so it's not that accurate for such low weights.