PDA

View Full Version : Question for Mounting a Surefire 6P

ca_fireman19
04-23-10, 18:33
I just mounted a spare Surefire 6P I had laying around onto my carbine and to my dismay, I have a huge barrel shaped shadow to the right of my light print (mounted the light on the left rail). Are there any tricks of the trade to prevent this or is this something I will just have to live with it? Thanks.

msap
04-25-10, 13:01
It's not the specific light. You'll have shadow with any light more or less depending how far forward the light is mounted. The further toward the end of the barrell the less shadow you will see. Just one of those things you must consider with light placement on your weapon.

glocktogo
04-26-10, 13:24
This is why the 12:00 mounting position is preferred if feasible. At least the shadow is below your line of sight then.

msap
04-29-10, 17:15
Agree. If 12 isn't an option, go with 10/11 or 1/2 o'clock. I use the 11 o'clock on both my rifles. Puts the shadow at roughly 5 o'clock. Works out well.

ca_fireman19
05-11-10, 12:42
Okay, thanks. I have the light mounted satisfactorily. Now I just received an aftermarket coiled remote pressure switch...any suggestions? I have it temporarily velcro'd to my Knights Armament Co. VFG, but I was curious what the professionals on here do in this case.

Dennis
05-11-10, 13:32
Tape switches get caught up on stuff, cause more light ND's, and are prone to failure. The coiled ones especially suck. They really are only good for specific uses and typically not for a primary light.

I'd say mount it at 11:00 with a normal tailcap and use your thumb to activate with over the barrel hold using your VFG as a backstop.

Dennis.

Steve in PA
05-11-10, 17:45
I went with the ElZetta mount.......no shadow worries.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/ARR-620.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/Steve_in_PA/Guns/0501001640.jpg

ca_fireman19
05-24-10, 00:04
How do I mount at 11 o'clock? Is there a rail adapter? If so, where do I find that? Thanks.

John_Wayne777
05-24-10, 07:39
Midwest Industries makes a mount that anchors through the hole in a standard AR front sight base...that's about as close to an 11:00 mount as you'll find.

Treehopr
05-24-10, 07:55
How do I mount at 11 o'clock? Is there a rail adapter? If so, where do I find that? Thanks.

You can try an offset light mount like the VTAC, Larue LT-606 or Gear Sector mounts and place it on the 9 o'clock or 12 o'clock rails.

Thomas M-4
05-24-10, 09:29
I have my 6p mounted with vltor off set mount it puts the light at the 1-2 o'clock position I use the standard tail cap and just use my thumb to activate it.

SeriousStudent
05-24-10, 17:52
Midwest Industries makes a mount that anchors through the hole in a standard AR front sight base...that's about as close to an 11:00 mount as you'll find.

I have one on an LMT Defender. It's not bad if you can't/won't modify the handguards or FSB.

I greatly prefer a 12:00 mounted X300, however, and have that on the rest of my carbines.

ca_fireman19
05-24-10, 18:48
well I am currently using a Knights Armament Co. RAS With the KAC vfg. Is there an adapter that mounts on my rail and has a rail mounted on the ADAPTER at an angle? Does that make sense?

Thomas M-4
05-24-10, 21:07
well I am currently using a Knights Armament Co. RAS With the KAC vfg. Is there an adapter that mounts on my rail and has a rail mounted on the ADAPTER at an angle? Does that make sense?

Why do you want it at an angle?

I use KAC rail and vltor off-set mount mounted on the top rail it hangs the 6p at the 2o'clock position. I believe that the vltor and v-tac light mounts hold the light closest to the rail.

ca_fireman19
05-25-10, 00:58
Ya, an angle...my rails are at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. To get the light at 10, 11, 1, or 2 o'clock, had to be perpendicular to the other rails kinda

John_Wayne777
05-25-10, 07:35
There are a number of what are referred to as "offset" mounts...meaning they don't hold the light directly over the segment of rail itself. The light is offset to the side of the actual mount:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/OffsetMount6PDL.jpg

Here the Vihnninator is using a LaRue offset, I believe
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/_EDT2335.jpg

A similar arrangement using, I believe, a VTAC mount:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/_EDT2189.jpg

With that kind of arrangement you can play with the positioning to get it exactly where you want it. To give you some idea of the MI mount I use on my go-to carbine and the grip I use:

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll200/Thekatar/_EDT1525.jpg

When used with the basic VLTOR light holding mount (not the offset) it places the button of the light at the base of my thumb, so all I need to do for activation is apply a little forward pressure.

The MI mount is great if you don't have a rail on the forend of the carbine. Originally my 6920 didn't have a rail, so that's why I went with the MI. After using it for a while, though, I rather like the positioning as it lets my hand get as far forward as possible on the rifle with a carbine-length rail.

fls9497
05-25-10, 09:14
With my set-up, I hardly see the shadow of my barrel at 11 o'clock. I have a Surefire U2 on a Daniel Defense offset mount. The light is at the 5 o'clock position so my left index finger activates it. It's more comfortable for me at this position since I use a Magpul AFG. BTW my rail is a Daniel Defense 9.5 FSP M4 style.

**I've changed the light position after taking my avatar pic**

RD62
05-25-10, 12:37
I run a VLTOR Offset Scout Mount on the top rail of my Middy with the light to the shooters left as far forward as I can.

NO TAPE SWITCH!

This allows me to reduce the barrel shadow and move my non-dominate hand out as far as possible offering me better muzzle control.

The CAR length handguards on my 10.5" SBR are to short for this same setup, so I use a Midwest Industries Tactical Light Mount which attaches to the standard front sight base, and attach a light to that using a standard VLTOR Scout Mount. This nearly mimicks the position of the other rifle, while allowing me to put the light in a more comfortable position.

-RD62

beckman
05-30-10, 17:35
{snip}

The MI mount is great if you don't have a rail on the forend of the carbine. Originally my 6920 didn't have a rail, so that's why I went with the MI. After using it for a while, though, I rather like the positioning as it lets my hand get as far forward as possible on the rifle with a carbine-length rail.A couple of questions: I notice in the photo that the MI mount is shown in use with a VFG. Does the VFG make it easier to use the MI-mounted light? Also, do you find that mounting MI mount & light on the FSB changes the carbine's point of impact and requires a re-zero?

Thanks.