PDA

View Full Version : Which rifle for 100 yard combat training shoots like an AR?

alfred10
04-23-10, 20:21
What .22 will work. I had a Sig Misquito AND IT WAS JUNK. It jammed 4 shots out of every mag. Changed springs, tried diff ammo... Nothing worked. I am looking for a rifle. AN M4 Style would be nice. Not sure if they are a joke or not. I like the 10.22 but not sure what distance it will shoot similarly to an AR or AK at. Any ideas. Can I master iron sites at 100 yards with a .22 rifle?

How many rounds will a 10.22 or AR style rifle be good for before it needs work?

ramrod
04-23-10, 21:35
Try a AR!!

scottd907
04-23-10, 21:53
so are you wanting a .22L just to do some cheap shooting? Its not a very powerful round. So its going to drop quicker and probably be more effected by wind. Unless you buy just a target shooting .22L rifle.

And what kind of combat training are you talking about. .22L is able to shoot up to 100yards probably, but i dont have any experince shooting the .22L at long distance. Was usually just short range or shooting at the squire 20ft or closer.

TehLlama
04-23-10, 23:11
The complete S&W 22, or Spikes/CMMG converted units do okay. Not very good accuracy past 50yds, but very usable out there in my experiences.

Best of those would be the Spike's with CMMG bolt conversion and magazines... but you're giving up a lot there.

Bill Alexander is coming out with a 17 HMR upper for AR's, which is the only 'right' answer to this - not out just yet, but would deliver accuracy out to 200yds, and be cheaper than wolf to fire (a bit, but that's running Hornady Poly ballistic tip match rounds)

jaxman7
04-24-10, 20:39
What type of accuracy are you wanting? Combat accuracy or shooting a ragged hole with a magazine full of CCI? I haven't shot for groups but I have a 15-22 and as far as combat accuracy honestly that little gun is not too bad. At 100 yards I have to hold high about 2 or 3 inches with Federal bulk ammo to hit a clay pigeon. Yes that is with iron sights and (to my shame) it is from a bench.
As far as durability and reliability goes I have about 5000 rounds through the little Smith rifle and it is very reliable. I had problems within the first 500 rounds or so with FTF and FTE but I saw this as an opportunity to practice Malfunction drills. After the break in the malfunctions were ALOT less frequent. But eventually springs,ejectors, etc. will wear out. I guess I turned this into a sales pitch for the 15-22 but that's the best $450 I've spent in a while.

halo2304
04-24-10, 21:28
A .22lr will absolutely reach out to 100yds. I do it all the time with my Spikes upper. Get a scope with 4x or more and you'll see just how slow sound is compared to light. It's pretty cool! :p